Does RAM manufacturer matter?

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Crucial uses Micron memory chips. They should be good for you.

So I've been thinking of upgrading my laptop and I've been looking around for RAM upgrades. I do quite a bit of data analysis, and so I need a large amount of preferably high-performance memory. 

I found this kit from Crucial - not a really well known company - that seems to be the best fit for me. It's 32GB (2x16GB) of 3200MHz CL16 DDR4. I can't seem to find any kits from larger brands that match or exceed this performance in the SODIMM form factor. Do you guys think I should be good with this kit? Should worry about the company manufacturing my RAM, or is just any company okay?

I sincerely apologize if this is in the wrong place or something, this is my first post here.

Thanks for any help you guys provide! :)

Crucial uses Micron memory chips. They should be good for you.

Preferably check the SO DIMM compatibility list for ram on your manufacturers site but just like what @ShrimpBrime said crucial usually works with every laptop board

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Crucial is a very well known company, but it also doesn't really matter. While there are many brands of memory, there are only three major manufacturers: Micron, SK Hynix, and Samsung.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

If you have Ryzen, avoid Hynix Die ram kits if you can. They tend to not work well as most QVL (The Qualified Vendor list which is the ram thats been tested on motherboards) Is almost always Micron or samsung. I have yet to have a hynix kit work properly with XMP on ryzen 3000 without some sort of tinkering.

36 minutes ago, JumpyPlug said:

So I've been thinking of upgrading my laptop and I've been looking around for RAM upgrades. I do quite a bit of data analysis, and so I need a large amount of preferably high-performance memory. 

I found this kit from Crucial - not a really well known company - that seems to be the best fit for me. It's 32GB (2x16GB) of 3200MHz CL16 DDR4. I can't seem to find any kits from larger brands that match or exceed this performance in the SODIMM form factor. Do you guys think I should be good with this kit? Should worry about the company manufacturing my RAM, or is just any company okay?

I sincerely apologize if this is in the wrong place or something, this is my first post here.

Thanks for any help you guys provide! :)

wdym crucial isnt well known? they are pretty forefront for SSDs and they make pretty reliable ram too, but its fine.

stuff is cool. stuff that has fancy lighting is cooler. stuff that has fancy lighting and works is the coolest.

i game so i know a bit abt gaming tech, not much abt professional tech.

writing this as i finish a 3 hour D2 sesh so excuse anything wrong.

10 minutes ago, ketchupspill said:

wdym crucial isnt well known? they are pretty forefront for SSDs and they make pretty reliable ram too, but its fine.

Dude, I had a set (might still have) of Ballistix tracers. You know the DDR2 sets that came with LEDs long before DDR4 RGB became a thing?? They were sweet. Think the timings where 4-4-4-14 at 800mhz or something round abouts.

Good memories Puns intended. 

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

Dude, I had a set (might still have) of Ballistix tracers. You know the DDR2 sets that came with LEDs long before DDR4 RGB became a thing?? They were sweet. Think the timings where 4-4-4-14 at 800mhz or something round abouts.

Good memories Puns intended. 

heres the funny thing: i wasnt born when ddr2 was the thing, and i somehow get this 

stuff is cool. stuff that has fancy lighting is cooler. stuff that has fancy lighting and works is the coolest.

i game so i know a bit abt gaming tech, not much abt professional tech.

writing this as i finish a 3 hour D2 sesh so excuse anything wrong.

Thank you for all your replies! Apparently Crucial is a well known company after all, I guess I just hadn't head of them before. I'm ordering the set now. Thanks again! :)

20 hours ago, ketchupspill said:

heres the funny thing: i wasnt born when ddr2 was the thing, and i somehow get this 

I was involved in the tech community when it was (and born LONG before it was created), but I don't.

4 hours ago, JumpyPlug said:

Thank you for all your replies! Apparently Crucial is a well known company after all, I guess I just hadn't head of them before. I'm ordering the set now. Thanks again! :)

Some advice I give people regularly: There are no good or bad brands in technology, only good and bad products. Every company sells both kinds of products, so research the specific model.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

3 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

I was involved in the tech community when it was (and born LONG before it was created), but I don't.

What Tech community before DDR2?