eGPU build for Macbook Pro 16 in.

Budget (including currency): 400-550 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Folding@Home, Valkyria Chronicles 1/4, Citra, Yuzu

Base System: Macbook Pro 16 in. base model (i7-9750H, 16 GB DDR4 Ram, 5300M GPU, 

Other details:

Hey guys, just a macbook pro 16 in. user looking to get an eGPU for use in bootcamp - I'd like a system that's as quiet as possible while having as much performance as possible.

I'm going with an nvidia GPU because it plays a lot nicer with bootcamp than external radeon cards, plus Yuzu and Citra work much better with nvidia's openGL drivers.

Any recommendations for nvidia GPUs that max performance and quietness over Thunderbolt 3's limited bandwith?

As for the dock, I'm planning to use the this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0764J5QVD/?&dc&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=ur2&tag=egpu2017-20&ref=as_li_qf_sp_sr_tl

1 minute ago, BrandonB63 said:

Budget (including currency): 400-550 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Folding@Home, Valkyria Chronicles 1/4, Citra, Yuzu

Base System: Macbook Pro 16 in. base model (i7-9750H, 16 GB DDR4 Ram, 5300M GPU, 

Other details:

Hey guys, just a macbook pro 16 in. user looking to get an eGPU for use in bootcamp - I'd like a system that's as quiet as possible while having as much performance as possible.

I'm going with an nvidia GPU because it plays a lot nicer with bootcamp than external radeon cards, plus Yuzu and Citra work much better with nvidia's openGL drivers.

Any recommendations for nvidia GPUs that max performance and quietness over Thunderbolt 3's limited bandwith?

um one thing: Apple doesnt support nvidia. :(

I know  :(

But eGPU AMD cards are crap in bootcamp, plus AMD drivers don't play nice with a lot of the programs I use.

Unless the Navi cards get a bootcamp driver update that optimizes OpenGL enough to be used  with citra or yuzu, I'm not going to get a 5700 XT

But eGPU AMD cards are crap in bootcamp, plus AMD drivers don't play nice with a lot of the programs I use.

If you are ready to risk this:  

2 minutes ago, BrandonB63 said:

Unless the Navi cards get a bootcamp driver update that optimizes OpenGL enough to be used  with citra or yuzu, I'm not going to get a 5700 XT

I mean I am (going to get a 5700 XT), no reason not to

4 minutes ago, the sff pc dude said:

If you are ready to risk this:  

Unless you can somehow import the High Sierra Nvidia drivers to be used in MacOS catalina, I'm planning it to be bootcamp exclusive

Edited by BrandonB63

2 minutes ago, the sff pc dude said:

I mean I am (going to get a 5700 XT), no reason not to

It's a program-exclusive thing -- the Yuzu and Citra guys practically demand that we use nvidia cards. They say AMD openGL drivers are absolute crap, unable to use opengl beyond 3.3 (at least that's what the Citra diagnostic log said the last time I had to deal with a program error)

It's a program-exclusive thing -- the Yuzu and Citra guys practically demand that we use nvidia cards. They say AMD openGL drivers are absolute crap, unable to use opengl beyond 3.3

Buddy, I still dont understand why i cant use a AMD 5700 XT?
unless...
Can't I just install windows on mac and use nvidia?

10 minutes ago, the sff pc dude said:

Buddy, I still dont understand why i cant use a AMD 5700 XT?
unless...
Can't I just install windows on mac and use nvidia?

That's kind of the point. The entire reason I bootcamp is b/c Yuzu and Citra are better optimized for windows. (Damn you apple for depreciating OpenGL). I don't have any mac programs that demand the extra boost in graphics.