Ryzen 3700x - High Temp Spikes On Custom Loop

Hey guys. Yesterday I replaced my Ryzen 1700 with a brand new 3700x. I've paired it with the same motherboard, MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon, and the same custom loop. The loop consists of dual 360mm radiators and cools both the CPU and GPU in the same loop. My 1700 was overclocked to 4ghz and topped out around 60c, but usually sat around the 35c mark. My 3700x temperatures are significantly worse, but in a strange way. Idle temps bounce between 38c-55c, seemingly randomly, with spikes as high as 65c when doing simple tasks such as opening an explorer window or Firefox. The kicker? After 30 minutes of rendering a Blender animation I never exceeded 63c.

Things to note:

• When in BIOS, my CPU sits between 22-24c. Only in Windows does it sit above 40c.
  • In my loop, the CPU is cooled directly after the GPU, making it more susceptible to higher sustained temps
  • I'm using the same waterblock as I did with my 1700. Here it is on Aliexpress
  • Idle voltages are upwards of 1.48. Seems very high.

Things I've Tried

• Updating BIOS. The latest is from Dec. 2019 and didn't help
  • Updated chipset drivers. Again, no change
  • Disabled/Enabled PBO and tried different profiles. No change

Things I've Not Tried

• Booting a Linux live distro to see if temps are similar to what they are in BIOS. May try this later
  • Re-seating the CPU block. Doesn't seem necessary given that the max load temp is still decent and I believe my thermal paste application was good.
  • Sanding down the CPU block. I've seen people say this can help, but I don't know much beyond that. Any advice would be great.

Hopefully I've provided enough information to give you some ideas. If there's anything else you'd like to know please ask!

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD

First of all, 63 is not high at all so there's nothing to worry about.

This is a heat transfer problem (or non-problem), doesn't matter how cold your water is, the thermal transfer between the silicon and the water is limited to a certain number of watts per degree temperature difference, depending on the specifics.

Your temps are fine.

Light tasks will make Ryzen think there is load and thus it will boost. I think when it boosts during light load the current will spike (because it is a light load). During proper load the current will drop (Vdroop?) resulting in not so high temps, that is why you don't see higher temps in Blender compared to "idle" at desktop. Remember that your CPU is never truly idle (except when the PC is shut down), there will always be background processes inducing some kind of load and Ryzen think that most monitoring software is very aggressive and will treat it as load.

AMD keeps on updating their power plan, so if you haven't you can try to download the latest chipset drivers from AMD and use the Ryzen Balanced power plan. AMD designed the 3rd gen Ryzen to behave this way because they wanted it to save power while they can always be snappy.

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

18 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

since nobody else quoted or tagged you.

if somebody replies to you post you get a notif, no need to tag or quote OP

@aDoomGuy @Chen G I should've mentioned that the temps aren't my primary concern. The other concern is my fans constantly ramping up and down with what I consider a fairly liberal fan profile. However, I will say that these are the highest idle temperatures I've seen at stock settings, regardless of cooling method. I will look into changing power options and report back.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD

5 minutes ago, BigDamn said:

@aDoomGuy @Chen G I should've mentioned that the temps aren't my primary concern. The other concern is my fans constantly ramping up and down with what I consider a fairly liberal fan profile. However, I will say that these are the highest idle temperatures I've seen at stock settings, regardless of cooling method. I will look into changing power options and report back.

I get it buddy, it annoyed me too. Eventually I realized that temp spikes will occur regardless of fan speed so when I'm on desktop I am using flat fan curves; my Noctua intake fans will go at 400-500 rpm, my ML intake fans are stopped, my exhaust fan will go at 600 rpm and they will stay like that until 75° which never happens during light use. Finally my CPU fan will go to 56% at 68° and even if that temp is reached the Be Quiet! DR4 is almost inaudible. 

If I game or do other things that induces load over a longer period then maybe I just use full blast on all fans except the ML's which run at 60% max on my gaming profile.

1 hour ago, BigDamn said:

You shouldn't be using CPU temperature to decide fan speeds if you're running a loop.

It has nothing to do with power options