Is building a gaming server worth it?

I was thinking of putting in 2 gtx 1050 TIs (they're old but they perform ok) into one of my servers. I do have a desktop pc, but when I go on vacation I have to play on something (and one of my other friends). With 50mpbs up I think it should be fine (right?). I was also thinking of getting a bigger server so I can fit taller graphics cards (like gtx 1660), but that's just a little too much money for me at the current moment (pandemic and everything). Should I spend $200 on graphics cards so I can game when I'm away? Is it worth it?

Edit:

I don't care that much about latency as I will be playing casual games. I have a vacation home not too far away from where I live and the latency from there to my house is about 50-60ms.

Edited by MartinIAm

5Mbps up would be more than enough but depending on the type of games and the latency from your vacation spot to your home can dramatically alter the performance you see.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

5Mbps up would be more than enough but depending on the type of games and the latency from your vacation spot to your home can dramatically alter the performance you see.

Yea, but I'll probably depend less on games that require you to have lower latency and more on games that require more than an igpu to run.

What do you mean by gaming server? If you want to run a game server (e.g. for multiplayer), then most likely it won't utilize GPU at all - it's all CPU work. Or do you want to use one of your servers as a gaming rig/PC?

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

1 minute ago, jj9987 said:

What do you mean by gaming server? If you want to run a game server (e.g. for multiplayer), then most likely it won't utilize GPU at all - it's all CPU work. Or do you want to use one of your servers as a gaming rig/PC?

No not really as a multiplayer game server, but for "cloud" gaming from a remote place. Not really as a main gaming rig, but just so when I go out of town for a month, I can play something.

6 minutes ago, MartinIAm said:

Yea, but I'll probably depend less on games that require you to have lower latency and more on games that require more than an igpu to run.

Yah if you're not playing something like CS:GO or anything then you're fine and even some light non-competitive CS:GO would probably be manageable.

I saw your edit, 50-60ms is probably what some people get normally so I'd say you're good if you have everything else to setup a server already :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

8 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Yah if you're not playing something like CS:GO or anything then you're fine and even some light non-competitive CS:GO would probably be manageable.

I saw your edit, 50-60ms is probably what some people get normally so I'd say you're good if you have everything else to setup a server already :)

Yea I have everything set up except the graphics cards. My only concern was that I would have to get some kind of Quadro card because I would be passing through the graphics cards through a hypervisor, but I don't think that would be an issue because the setup would be a graphics card for each vm.

Why build a dedicated Game Server, if its just for when you're on vacation?

Just install Parsec on your main Gaming PC to use it for cloud gaming when you're away from home. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA