Poor Cooling Fixed GTX 1650

Solved the termal solution for my new GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1650 DirectX 12 GV-N1656OC-4GL

the card has been running hot since i got it in the mail Tuesday 05-19-2020 on stock settings as this is in a Low Profile Chassis

but found out why it was running hot the stock thermal paste was non-existent and when i took off the cooler i was like wtf and was also surprised to see no warranty sticker like they expect you to change the thermal paste, so replaced it with a good amount of Noctua NT-H1 as there is no such thing as no much just more money down the drain but here are the before and after pictures and this is a new model card i believe it just came out as certain online retailers had it for pre-order but got it from Newegg on Ebay even my Vega 64 AIO from owercooler has better stock paste for thermals, i also wonder if there are any other owners of this new cards with the same problem as i got bad thermals even with the fans at 100% and they are quite for being at 100% audible but washed out by back ground noise and gaming

but the before stock paste thermals i was getting 42c+idle

after im sitting at 35c idle

gaming at 4k res on Age of Empire 2 DE on my personal benchmark file maxing out the card it didnt get above 75c and before i would see 80c+ but that is a worse case for me as most games on the go for this system is at 1080p just AOE2 i like at 4k

97823876_244119650258694_5181938369734639616_n.jpg

100105749_1033534617061349_3520087455577407488_n.jpg

• 3 months later...

Just got mine today, exactly the same model number and can confirm the high temps (around 45 in idle and 83 under load). Will check tomorrow if there's warranty sticker and maybe repaste too. 

@Edit The same with mine. But even with new thermal paste (no matter thick or thin layer) still thermal throtting at similar clocks. Maybe even little worse than with stock paste. Damn.

IMG_20200905_153044.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2020 at 3:56 PM, Erehr said:

Just got mine today, exactly the same model number and can confirm the high temps (around 45 in idle and 83 under load). Will check tomorrow if there's warranty sticker and maybe repaste too. 

@Edit The same with mine. But even with new thermal paste (no matter thick or thin layer) still thermal throtting at similar clocks. Maybe even little worse than with stock paste. Damn.

IMG_20200905_153044.jpg

to me its always good to redo the thermal paste as these companies will use the cheapest paste they can to save a few bucks, think Jayztwocents did a video on this and its one of the cheapest ways to get extra performance out of these cards, granted this card i have is in a low profile case so i have to keep the fans at a 100% on most of the fans even the PSU i have to manually controll to help exaush air from the system, but in a regular case temps should be better, idle temps are better and a better case with better air flow should help you could invest in a cheap pci cooling fan to blow air directly on the card lol thank you the power of china

I have recently bought the GIGABYTE GTX 1650 low profile as well. The problem is, I have been having temp issues with the graphics card hitting 88 degrees with the fan at 100% in a Dell Optiplex 9010. I know that it wont be getting good temps but 88 degrees is too high. I was considering buying "Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut" to try and fix the temps should I do it? If not what can I do to fix this problem? Also I have some images of the computer.

PC_case.jpg

GPU_in_case.jpg

PC_Internals.jpg

The issue is clearly with Gigabyte, not enough mounting pressure or something. Got Zotac 1650 LP today (also GDDR6 version) and temps are 10-15 degrees lower than Gigabyte, even lower when undervolted (with gigabyte temps stayed the same even after that). Also slightly louder and with fans locked at minimum 40% speed. Wanted to get MSI because it has 0 rpm idle but unfortunately it wasn't avaliable. 

4 hours ago, Greenonetrailmix said:

I have recently bought the GIGABYTE GTX 1650 low profile as well. The problem is, I have been having temp issues with the graphics card hitting 88 degrees with the fan at 100% in a Dell Optiplex 9010. I know that it wont be getting good temps but 88 degrees is too high. I was considering buying "Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut" to try and fix the temps should I do it? If not what can I do to fix this problem? Also I have some images of the computer.imageproxy.php?img=&key=0c2a8b7d8afbc61a

Does it hit 88 degrees with the case open or closed? Does the side panel have some vents next to the fain area for the graphics card. The air flow looks really bad in the cramped case and the front intake holes are so small that the Kryonaut may not do much.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

On 9/19/2020 at 9:55 AM, Greenonetrailmix said:

I have recently bought the GIGABYTE GTX 1650 low profile as well. The problem is, I have been having temp issues with the graphics card hitting 88 degrees with the fan at 100% in a Dell Optiplex 9010. I know that it wont be getting good temps but 88 degrees is too high. I was considering buying "Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut" to try and fix the temps should I do it? If not what can I do to fix this problem? Also I have some images of the computer.imageproxy.php?img=&key=0c2a8b7d8afbc61a

I would also argue the case doesn't itself allow much air flow, this is my case that i have and it allows a little bit more air flow, but yes replacing the TIM on the card will work better, i suggest the CoolerMaster Mastergel Maker Nano or what you recommend if you can get it from a reputable site

I did a quick run on Unigine Superposiot @4k medium settings and max temp was 83degrees and Wolfenstien 2 Misson Revolution @1080p it did hit 90c but thats the cons of a SFF case not so great airflow but its not like your gonna be playing at ultra settings the card itself will downclock to safe itself but most cases you only see spikes of 90c when things get tough then when things die down might be 80ish degress, i just like the I/O ports on the card might get the GTX 2650 idk if thats gonna be the name with the new RTX Gpu as you normally have to wait a bit for the GTX variant but love these budget cards 

On 9/19/2020 at 11:11 PM, Greenonetrailmix said:

The case open

where did you get your system the color is awesome

This is my set up with the graphics card, i took out the card to check thermal paste and it seemed fine not like the stock pics lol, but redid the TIM with  CoolerMaster MasterGel Maker and idle temps at desktop was at 37-38 degrees and before was 42, and during my Wolfenstein 2 Benchmark as i call it because the Map Revolution there is a lot of explosion's throughout the map but never saw temps above 81 c with the case panel off and the front door do the media center closed, and Unigen Superposition max temp was 78c, and this was when the temp slider was set to 90c, but prefer to have the case panel one, now if i set the case on its side im sure the temps would be better as like a console the natural heat convection would help keep temps low

119933688_389064172490390_1486272484753428362_n.jpg

120041551_2859625590991319_7979783297656860952_n.jpg

On 9/21/2020 at 11:29 PM, tjrose91 said:

where did you get your system the color is awesome

I got the computer off my friend. I did the spray painting myself with some red acrylic paint

20200902_215436.jpg?width=500&height=37520200906_165104.jpg?width=500&height=375

On 9/26/2020 at 7:39 AM, Greenonetrailmix said:

I got the computer off my friend. I did the spray painting myself with some red acrylic paint

20200902_215436.jpg?width=500&height=37520200906_165104.jpg?width=500&height=375

thumbs up, but yes might have to keep the side panel off and redo the thermal paste with what you mentioned or the one i mentioned and have the fans at 100% when gaming

, get usb to 4 pin fan or a molex to 4 pin fan and place a fan over the grap

hics card

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/23/2020 at 1:09 AM, tjrose91 said:

Solved the termal solution for my new GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1650 DirectX 12 GV-N1656OC-4GL

the card has been running hot since i got it in the mail Tuesday 05-19-2020 on stock settings as this is in a Low Profile Chassis

but found out why it was running hot the stock thermal paste was non-existent and when i took off the cooler i was like wtf and was also surprised to see no warranty sticker like they expect you to change the thermal paste, so replaced it with a good amount of Noctua NT-H1 as there is no such thing as no much just more money down the drain but here are the before and after pictures and this is a new model card i believe it just came out as certain online retailers had it for pre-order but got it from Newegg on Ebay even my Vega 64 AIO from owercooler has better stock paste for thermals, i also wonder if there are any other owners of this new cards with the same problem as i got bad thermals even with the fans at 100% and they are quite for being at 100% audible but washed out by back ground noise and gaming

but the before stock paste thermals i was getting 42c+idle

after im sitting at 35c idle

gaming at 4k res on Age of Empire 2 DE on my personal benchmark file maxing out the card it didnt get above 75c and before i would see 80c+ but that is a worse case for me as most games on the go for this system is at 1080p just AOE2 i like at 4k

97823876_244119650258694_5181938369734639616_n.jpg

100105749_1033534617061349_3520087455577407488_n.jpg

mine at idle and when im playing gta v it gets arround 75c 

Captura de Tela (21).png

I thought I would do some before and after testing with the graphics card.

I have replaced the thermal paste with Kryonaut.

All the tests was run with heaven benchmark I got at stock settings 80c 1770Mhz core clock with 79% fan speed.

After applying the "Kryonaut thermal paste" I got 78c 1770Mhz core clock 75% fan speed.

I have also tested the fan at 100% speed because that's what I reckon a lot of people using on this graphics card.

Stock settings with the fan speed at 100% I got 75c. After applying the new thermal paste I got 71c with 100% fan speed.

I hope this information will be useful to some people.

I found that the temperature is still not adequate for my red dell computer seeing though the tests was run in a case with better airflow than the dell.

So I decided to continue testing with undervolting, The undervolting was only done with the new thermal paste. I managed to get 1700mhz core clock with 760mV with +150mhz to Memory with auto fan speed 62% fan speed at 68c with the undervolt, with 100% fan speed I got 60c.

I will test the gtx1650 in the red dell case and will I find out what the temps are in that. also have some photos of the stock thermal paste on the gpu and the pc that I tested all the thermals in20201020_165345.jpg?width=894&height=67020201020_164020.jpg?width=894&height=670

17 hours ago, Greenonetrailmix said:

I thought I would do some before and after testing with the graphics card.

I have replaced the thermal paste with Kryonaut.

All the tests was run with heaven benchmark I got at stock settings 80c 1770Mhz core clock with 79% fan speed.

After applying the "Kryonaut thermal paste" I got 78c 1770Mhz core clock 75% fan speed.

I have also tested the fan at 100% speed because that's what I reckon a lot of people using on this graphics card.

Stock settings with the fan speed at 100% I got 75c. After applying the new thermal paste I got 71c with 100% fan speed.

I hope this information will be useful to some people.

I found that the temperature is still not adequate for my red dell computer seeing though the tests was run in a case with better airflow than the dell.

So I decided to continue testing with undervolting, The undervolting was only done with the new thermal paste. I managed to get 1700mhz core clock with 760mV with +150mhz to Memory with auto fan speed 62% fan speed at 68c with the undervolt, with 100% fan speed I got 60c.

I will test the gtx1650 in the red dell case and will I find out what the temps are in that. also have some photos of the stock thermal paste on the gpu and the pc that I tested all the thermals in

i thought about doing some exotic cooling by getting this set up off ebay but with the unusale CPU mounting holes make it hard 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303429081216

i also found by just removing the case panel i got better temps but maybe newer cards fixed this issue

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2020 at 3:06 PM, GuilhermeRossi said:

mine at idle and when im playing gta v it gets arround 75c 

Captura de Tela (21).png

JUST notices the high idles temps dear god mine is at a cool 33-38c with new TIM

• 1 month later...

After reading this thread, I pulled my apart and replaced the thermal paste in my with some Cooler Master paste. 

I had to install mine in a very unconventional way in my case. Afterwards, it was very loud. Figuring it was an airflow issue I got out the dremel. After that mod, it was even louder due to the lack of sound barrier. 

Last night I changed out the paste and it got much quieter. It is still very audible on the shelf under my TV but its more manageable. I will probably try to find a way to exhaust more hot air out of the case. 

20201226_213106.jpg

20200920_165757.jpg

20201228_180353.jpg

• 1 month later...

@tjrose91

Thank you for your post. When playing DX12 games i would get black screen/ fans 100% and system hanging. After following your guide to reapply thermal paste, my Gigabyte 1650 GTX LP runs perfectly with no system hangs anymore. 

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone, I hope you can help me, what happens is that a fan in my graph had problems and got stuck, so I had to open it and lubricate the bushing so that it would work again, everything was fine but recently it happened again and I did the same procedure, what happened and I did not realize is that one of the cables that was soldered to the fan was unsoldered (it is the fan that is next to the ports), so I soldered them again according to how I could see and verify the polarity with a multimeter, and it worked it turned on and everything fine, what happens now is that the fans are no longer regulated as before, now they work at full speed since I turn on the pc, and trying to adjust this with software in all ways without success, it marks me 6000 RPM with 40% of use in the fans at a temperature of 30 ° C, reinstall drivers and nothing, for what I fear it is the fan's problem, which maybe makes them work at full speed so I wanted to see if you can help me with a photo of I was the first fan with the 2 cables to see if I soldered the cables where it should, since there were 3 pins and only 2 cables and then I soldered them according to polarity since I could not see where they were going before they desoldered, I hope they can help I leave photos of the fan I am referring to, thank you.

s-l500 (1).png

CP-GIGABYTE-GV-N1656OC-4GL-7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2021 at 5:00 PM, Jesus5420 said:

Hello everyone, I hope you can help me, what happens is that a fan in my graph had problems and got stuck, so I had to open it and lubricate the bushing so that it would work again, everything was fine but recently it happened again and I did the same procedure, what happened and I did not realize is that one of the cables that was soldered to the fan was unsoldered (it is the fan that is next to the ports), so I soldered them again according to how I could see and verify the polarity with a multimeter, and it worked it turned on and everything fine, what happens now is that the fans are no longer regulated as before, now they work at full speed since I turn on the pc, and trying to adjust this with software in all ways without success, it marks me 6000 RPM with 40% of use in the fans at a temperature of 30 ° C, reinstall drivers and nothing, for what I fear it is the fan's problem, which maybe makes them work at full speed so I wanted to see if you can help me with a photo of I was the first fan with the 2 cables to see if I soldered the cables where it should, since there were 3 pins and only 2 cables and then I soldered them according to polarity since I could not see where they were going before they desoldered, I hope they can help I leave photos of the fan I am referring to, thank you.

s-l500 (1).png

CP-GIGABYTE-GV-N1656OC-4GL-7.jpg

I would say work on an open test bench be very careful and use the multimeter to find the positive and negative  with the sensor wire being the last one and solder new fans onto the existing pigtail from the PCB unlike me I shorted the card and I'm still waiting on the RMA from gigabyte