PC hard crashed during gaming session, now no display. Power Supply/Graphics Card Problem?

steven_thebear

I was playing Deus Ex Mankind Divided (which is a fairly GPU and CPU heavy game) when the game suddenly hard crashed my computer. No problem I thought, so I restarted using reset button on the case. But now whenever I turn on, there is no display despite everything in the case turning on. The GPU (or at least the RGB does), CPU fan, case fans, motherboard RGB lights, and keyboard lights all power on as normal. I noticed that one of the EZ debug LED's is on, the second one up from the main motherboard power connector, which I think indicates a problem with the GPU according to [this](https://www.msi.com/support/technical_details/MB_Boot_No_Display) on MSI's website but I may have misread this. This puzzles me though since the GPU powers on and has shown no problems apart from some early driver problems back in August last year.

These are my specs:

- Powercolor Red Devil 5700XT (drivers installed were whatever ones were latest in about February)

- Ryzen 5 3600

- 16GB DDR4 3200MHz

- MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon

- 500W Corsair CX500M (This is about 6 years old)

- 1TB Samsung 970 Evo

I've used this configuration for about 8ish months now, the PSU (and case) was the only key component that was recycled from a previous build since it still worked, bought it in 2014 for my first build. I lived in a different city for uni, but since coming home it's probably been receiving a bit more intense usage over the last month or so for gaming and exams etc.

So far I've tried: Resetting the CMOS battery, installing latest BIOS Version using flash bios button, again resetting CMOS battery, removing ram sticks and trying each one individually, using different display ports and using HDMI port, and removing the GPU altogether to see if there's any difference. Nothing has worked so far.

My main inclination would be to believe that this is a power supply problem. Would I be right in thinking this, or is this actually a problem with the GPU?

My side of view is that due to the PSU's age it might have thrown a high voltage spike to your  CPU and now RIP.

The best thing to do is to go to your local tech shop and tell them to see whats wrong, i thing it will be easy to figure out.

2 minutes ago, Bloudy_Parrot said:

My side of view is that due to the PSU's age it might have thrown a high voltage spike to your  CPU and now RIP.

The best thing to do is to go to your local tech shop and tell them to see whats wrong, i thing it will be easy to figure out.

I'm happy to be wrong on this, but I feel like the warning LED on the motherboard would have prioritised the CPU warning if there was no CPU? 

Just now, steven_thebear said:

The LED on the board is showing the VGA one, indicating a problem with the graphics card

connect the monitor to your motherboards out and open bios while booting.

see if the grafics card shows up. if not a good thing is to check the card into another computer . if the card is dead then ............ RIP.

11 minutes ago, Bloudy_Parrot said:

connect the monitor to your motherboards out and open bios while booting.

see if the grafics card shows up. if not a good thing is to check the card into another computer . if the card is dead then ............ RIP.

Unfortunately, I don't have another computer to test it on, and the ryzen 5 3600 has no onboard graphics, so I'm not sure if I cant definitely say that the graphics card is dead. The other thing is that the graphics card still lights up, it just doesn't display.