Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How fast is too fast?

Zat0ichi

Nvme mega speeds. Are they really worth it.

My Asrock b450m pro 4 is a bit light on sata ports and I had to drop a storage drive when I upgraded.

Now I'm looking at getting an m2 drive.

Currently I have via SATA

128MB OS SSD

500 games SSD

2TB and 4TB spinners.

I'm happy with 500MB/s transfer rates but am I missing anything with these 3500MB/s transfer rates?

I'm looking at getting an NVME drive to take over OS duties and prob some games as well.

1TB m2 at 500MB/s is 100quid (WD blue)

1TB m2 at 3500MB/s is 200 quid (samsung 970 evo)

Is it really worth getting a smaller higher speed drive?

Going from HDD to SSD was night and day but this next jump seems like its not going to be maxed out in everyday usage.

A cheap NVMe drive is a good option whether it offers excessive speed or not, to be honest. There is of course the matter of disabling SATA ports when using a SATA M.2 drive so a cheap NVMe SSD might actually have some nice benefit to you, as you are "light on SATA ports"

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/BhmFf7/western-digital-blue-sn550-1-tb-m2-2280-nvme-solid-state-drive-wds100t2b0c

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/HmmFf7/sabrent-rocket-q-1-tb-m2-2280-nvme-solid-state-drive-sb-rktq-1tb

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 minutes ago, Zat0ichi said:

Nvme mega speeds. Are they really worth it.

My Asrock b450m pro 4 is a bit light on sata ports and I had to drop a storage drive when I upgraded.

Now I'm looking at getting an m2 drive.

Currently I have via SATA

128MB OS SSD

500 games SSD

2TB and 4TB spinners.

I'm happy with 500MB/s transfer rates but am I missing anything with these 3500MB/s transfer rates?

I'm looking at getting an NVME drive to take over OS duties and prob some games as well.

1TB m2 at 500MB/s is 100quid (WD blue)

1TB m2 at 3500MB/s is 200 quid (samsung 970 evo)

Is it really worth getting a smaller higher speed drive?

Going from HDD to SSD was night and day but this next jump seems like its not going to be maxed out in everyday usage.

For gaming and general use you'll just not notice any difference what so ever between a sata speed drive (the 500mb one) or extremely fast nvme drives. So just get the slower one and save yourself the money.

47 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

. There is of course the matter of disabling SATA ports when using a SATA M.2 drive so a cheap NVMe SSD might actually have some nice benefit to you, as you are "light on SATA ports"

just checked the manual.

I have 2 ports!

But 1 of them disabled a sata.

I'm cool with that

1 minute ago, Zat0ichi said:

just checked the manual.

I have 2 ports!

But 1 of them disabled a sata.

I'm cool with that

so the WD blue is a good choice

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

47 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

so the WD blue is a good choice

it looks that way!

Adding an HBA (host-bus-adapter) for PCIe to SATA is a viable alternative IMO. For around 110 euro you can get one with 10 (!!) SATA ports, made by DeLock.

Link: https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/486487/delock-pci-express-card-groter-dan-10-x-internal-sata-6-gb-s-low-profile-form-factor/specificaties/

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

1 hour ago, Dutch_Master said:

Adding an HBA (host-bus-adapter) for PCIe to SATA is a viable alternative IMO. For around 110 euro you can get one with 10 (!!) SATA ports, made by DeLock.

Link: https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/486487/delock-pci-express-card-groter-dan-10-x-internal-sata-6-gb-s-low-profile-form-factor/specificaties/

10! steady on.

I did look at sata cards but I'm trying to ease up on the spending.

Just retired my old core components and spent a chunk on an R5, mobo, RAM and GPU.

Here is a comparison benches of the WD Blue SN550 vs some popular alternatives I did. I threw in an Adata XPG SX8200 Pro instead of the Samsung. The Samsung 970 EVO Plus is a bit faster in large file copies / writes, but most DRAM based TLC NAND drives perform similar in daily use. I also added in the WD Black SN750 and a Gen 4 NVMe SSD. 

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/wd-blue-sn550-m2-nvme-ssd-review-best-dramless-ssd-yet/2 

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)