what switches does this keyboard have,cherry MX red switches opinions?

frozensun

Hi friends.

I bought this keyboad like few months ago hoping I will get better gaming performance.

Manufacture declares it as outemu optical black switches but I don't know if that is true or not.

I didn't get any special improvement over old membrane keyboards which I used all of my life for gaming.

Is this switch really bad,or is just my point of view.

For sure is optical and I did some reseach optical should be better then mechanical ones,so I'm confused cuz I wanted to buy cherry MX red switches hoping to get better response in games.

But after all I do think this with all these switches is just a myth,I'd take it with grain of salt because actually I never tried any of the cherry MX switches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B8uLaaD3oM&t=96s

here are some specs:

https://ms-start.com/EasyEdit/UserFiles/Documents/eliteumcurved.pdf

Is this keyboard good for gaming or I need cherry MX red?

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

Any mech keyboard is better than membrane, at least for me.

After switching to mech, typing a membrane feels weird.

It's very subjective, different switch will feel differently.

You should try the cherry red before making decision, some people prefers the blue one.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Any mech keyboard is better than membrane, at least for me.

After switching to mech, typing a membrane feels weird.

It's very subjective, different switch will feel differently.

You should try the cherry red before making decision, some people prefers the blue one.

this is not membrane,it's optical...RTFKM

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

8 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Hi friends.

I bought this keyboad like few months ago hoping I will get better gaming performance.

Manufacture declares it as outemu optical black switches but I don't know if that is true or not.

I didn't get any special improvement over old membrane keyboards which I used all of my life for gaming.

Is this switch really bad,or is just my point of view.

For sure is optical and I did some reseach optical should be better then mechanical ones,so I'm confused cuz I wanted to buy cherry MX red switches hoping to get better response in games.

But after all I do think this with all these switches is just a myth,I'd take it with grain of salt because actually I never tried any of the cherry MX switches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B8uLaaD3oM&t=96s

here are some specs:

https://ms-start.com/EasyEdit/UserFiles/Documents/eliteumcurved.pdf

Is this keyboard good for gaming or I need cherry MX red?

Just use what suits you, most people don't like membrane keyboards because the key presses feel mushy and it's hard to tell when the key was actually pressed. Whereas non-linear mechanical keyboards with switches such as MX Browns, have a tactile bump (or a bump and a click with MX Blues) when a key press is registered. MX reds are linear and won't give you that feeling. Nonetheless, whatever keyboard you buy won't make you have "better response" or make you a better player in general, it's just a matter of personal preference.

1 minute ago, Konrad_K said:

Just use what suits you, most people don't like membrane keyboards because the key presses feel mushy and it's hard to tell when the key was actually pressed. Whereas non-linear mechanical keyboards with switches such as MX Browns, have a tactile bump (or a bump and a click with MX Blues) when a key press is registered. MX reds are linear and won't give you that feeling. Nonetheless, whatever keyboard you buy won't make you have "better response" or make you a better player in general, it's just a matter of personal preference.

what switches has this kb?Are they bad compared to cherry MX (red)?

Those are not membrane,they are declared as BLACK LC 0.2mm...what is that?

12 minutes ago, Konrad_K said:

I don't get all these stuff,we pay only to get tactile bumb,to know that key is pressed?That is why we pay for cherry MX?

Take for instance best membrane/optical and cheapest cherry MX red,what would be difference in gaming?

Would I get better response in game,like moving around with light press of a key..etc...

4 minutes ago, frozensun said:

what switches has this kb?Are they bad compared to cherry MX (red)?

Those are not membrane,they are declared as BLACK LC 0.2mm...what is that?

AFAIK these are optical switches, and no they aren't bad... bad in keyboards is subjective (eg. I hate linear switches like red's), this was the main point in my first reply

Here's a link with an explanation of what optical switches are: 

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/what-are-optical-keyboard-switches,32352.html

A keyboard is not going to make you better at gaming.  99.99% of the time, the deciding factor in a game is entirely up to your mouse control.  The only benefit of "gaming" keyboards is their programmability but most of this can be fixed by configurable macro software.

Just now, frozensun said:

I don't get all these stuff,we pay only to get tactile bumb,to know that key is pressed?That is why we pay for cherry MX?

Well that's why you pay for any non linear mechanical keyboard (not only cherry) + they feel better and are generally more consistent than membrane keyboards

Take for instance best membrane/optical and cheapest cherry MX brown,what would be difference in gaming?

Technically none, some people (including me) just find it better 

Would I get better response in game,like moving around with light press of a key..etc...

Nope, all keyboards are USB. Again, it's the personal preference of some key switch that could make you perform better at the game. There is no technical advantage. 

1 minute ago, Haas_ said:

A keyboard is not going to make you better at gaming.  99.99% of the time, the deciding factor in a game is entirely up to your mouse control.  The only benefit of "gaming" keyboards is their programmability but most of this can be fixed by configurable macro software.

ooooh so after all this is just a myth...

They why did the make all these cherry MX switches and specified them for gaming,typing etc...better perfomance after all..seems that all is marketing trick...

I used over 20 years membrane and played like milions of games...

ooooh so after all this is just a myth...

They why did the make all these cherry MX switches and specified them for gaming,typing etc...better perfomance after all..seems that all is marketing trick...

I used over 20 years membrane and played like milions of games...

It's exactly this, a marketing gimmick.  Get something that you enjoy typing on :)

I thought about buying HyperX Alloy Elite RGB with red switches but then I assume with what you told me if I wouldn't get better performance in FPS games,faster movement so on,that would be waste of money,right guys?

2 minutes ago, frozensun said:

I thought about buying HyperX Alloy Elite RGB with red switches but then I assume with what you told me if I wouldn't get better performance in FPS games,faster movement so on,that would be waste of money,right guys?

As it's been previously stated. It's all personal preference. If you want to upgrade your keyboard and try something different, go ahead. It just won't make you better at gaming.

what means that cherry MX red are linear switches?

This "linear",in practice?

3 minutes ago, frozensun said:

what means that cherry MX red are linear switches?

This "linear",in practice?

Linear means that when you press down the key, it's completely smooth all the way to the bottom.  There is not "bump" when the key activates.  MX Reds are often compared to membrane boards but just less mushy.

2 minutes ago, Haas_ said:

Linear means that when you press down the key, it's completely smooth all the way to the bottom.  There is not "bump" when the key activates.  MX Reds are often compared to membrane boards but just less mushy.

lool okay...who cares about,actually I love the sound of clicking...never had it on membrane ones..

Thx.

So after all they keyboard I have is not bad,and way better then membrane?

28 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Because different people prefer how different types of switches feel...?

:)

3 hours ago, Konrad_K said:

Again, it's the personal preference of some key switch that could make you perform better at the game. There is no technical advantage. 

I saw the Wooting one advertise that it ‘preforms’ better in CSGO because of the analogue switches. same kind of marketing with the ss apex pro. Is it true or is it a gimmick?

24 minutes ago, gloop said:

I saw the Wooting one advertise that it ‘preforms’ better in CSGO because of the analogue switches. same kind of marketing with the ss apex pro. Is it true or is it a gimmick?

An analog switch actually provides a tangible functional difference. Most switches are digital, either on or off. An analog  provides a gradual change depending how far you press it similar to how a joystick works. Whether or not that translates to an actual advantage in games depends on the game and how you make use of it. 

22 minutes ago, gloop said:

Most brands will do anything for us to purchase their product, and such misleading claims are mostly gimmicks (like adjusting movement acceleration depending on how deep the key is pressed - a mostly useless feature in an FPS game). One advantage of analog keyboards with optical switches, is the lack of a physical switch. There is a beam of light that is blocked by a piece of plastic, and when a key is pressed this piece is pushed downwards and the light is beamed which actuates a key press. The benefit to that is there are no springs or contact pads to break. It's possible that this would be more reliable in the long run, but on the other hand have been using normal keyboards for decades so they are solving an issue that didn't exist in the first place. 

3 minutes ago, Konrad_K said:

One advantage of analog keyboards with optical switches, is the lack of a physical switch. There is a beam of light that is blocked by a piece of plastic, and when a key is pressed this piece is pushed downwards and the light is beamed which actuates a key press.

This is how a normal optical switch works. Not an analog one.

So if I understood you correctly getting Cherry MX switches wouldn't get me better in-game performance?

4 hours ago, frozensun said:

So if I understood you correctly getting Cherry MX switches wouldn't get me better in-game performance?

Nope, the "improvement" is negligible.  Your display likely makes the biggest impact on your performance but even at that it's not going to instantly make you a Shroud.

Not sure about the difference between switches and performance in game honestly (I really suck at playing fps with a keyboard) but the right switch can really make a difference when it comes to typing feeling.  What I see that could be a marginal factor in game is all that's related with build quality specially if you are something I would call let's say an enthusiast energetic gamer.  Keyboard weight, rubber feet, deck flex and such ... if the keyboard moves around or flex a lot it probably can impact your game at some point probably more than if it's rock solid and nothing can make it moves. 

Side note mechanical switches tend to have a longer lifespan than common and easy to find cheap rubber dome over membrane keyboard that comes with something like a prebuilt.  That being said there are also higher quality membrane keyboard that exist. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

So is optical switch like this one better or worse then cherry MX?

I won't spend money on it since you already told me that I won't get better in-game performance.

I played games for like 20 years on membrane I don't hell need mechanical switches,just I don't see then point of buying crap like that just to get better typing feel....that is one expensive joy.