Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

some US students required to retake e-exams because receiving servers did not accept submissions in HEIF

When you make a new "standard" and don't actually tell anybody about it... This sort of shit happens.
I also didn't know about this new file format for picture. I sure never came across it and apparently most/all major web browsers don't support it either(including Apple's own)... How is anyone supposed to know this "obscure" format that only one company used/supported and even went out of their way to convert it to jpeg when sending to a PC because they know full way that this shit ain't gonna work anywhere?

At my school we use Moodle, Omnivox (with Léa) and Teams. Plenty of different ways to turn in our work. Usually, if an exam needs pictures, we're told to make a word document, put the pictures in and convert it to a PDF for ease of use/format. 

It sucks that the students have to retake the exam because of a technicality... but at least they are given a second chance and if what @GatioH said is true, then it is the responsibility of the students because they should've been warned repeatedly. While it is possible that some schools/teachers didn't bother warning them, I kinda doubt they weren't told one way or another and they just didn't give a flip.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB(upgrade pending) / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

so what is this called then (if not a "fail")? sorry i'm not too familiar with the exam structure there ,_,

It’s not a fail, they basically just cancel that test and you get to take another version of the test sometime in June. It happened to my friend with AP Calc BC and they’re very accepting with retake guidelines. Just have to make sure you email them within 48 hours that you had issues with the test (this even extends to power outage, WiFi problems, even sickness),

Colloquially we just call it a ‘retake’.

edit: reworded for clarity

19 minutes ago, GatioH said:

It’s not a fail, they basically just cancel that test and you get to take another version of the test sometime in June. It happened to my friend with AP Calc BC and they’re very accepting with retake guidelines. Just have to make sure you email them within 48 hours that you had issues with the test (this even extends to power outage, WiFi problems, even sickness),

Colloquially we just call it a ‘retake’.

edit: reworded for clarity

ahh okay, i'll reword the title ,_, thanks

These are AP students, supposedly the top in their fields.  I don't care if the fact that they used an iPhone and uploaded directly then failed.

They were warned and failed to follow instructions.

End of story.  Fail them all for failing to follow instructions.  It doesn't matter if a dog ate their homework or the internet did.  It's either in on time or it's not.  

As for Apple, they did put in the auto-converter for SMS and Email.  I'm surprised it doesn't happen all the time as soon as it leaves the iOS environment. 

Yeah, I was thankfully warned about this right before I took my AP exam. Didn't even know about the format until I got the message 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

CB put all the submission guidelines here:https://apcoronavirusupdates.collegeboard.org/students/taking-ap-exams/troubleshooting?fbclid=IwAR1pOjv-xsKM05DcoIYTwwRlJ43Bmiykc9T-EQvq9nC5BjHn2mrIcCkCE14

Save your photo as one of these formats: .png, .jpg, .jpeg

• Recent iPhones and iPads save photos as HEIC files, which can’t be submitted in the exam.
  • To resolve, resave the image in an acceptable format by emailing the photo to yourself using the iPhone or iPad Mail app, which will automatically convert it to a .jpg.
  • Save the new .jpg image to your Photos folder or the desktop, not Google Drive, so it’s easy to find.
  • You can also update the settings on your phone to capture in JPEG and not HEIC.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

my dad works for Penn state (as a professor)

and has not have problems with tests

Cameras main canon xti Secondary Panasonic GX85 spare Samsung ST68 and nikion s4000

main HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 14GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - 160GB HDD - MSI GT 710 - dual DVD roms 

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD                                                     

storage server - AMD X2 250 - ASUS m4a785-m - 4GB ram - 500GB HDD - 320GB HDD - 80GB HDD                                  

myanimelist

#Muricaparrotgang 

#animepfpgang                                                                                   

"There’s a fine line between perseverance and failure to accept reality'- Tim leatherman

1 hour ago, Evanair said:

These are AP students, supposedly the top in their fields.  I don't care if the fact that they used an iPhone and uploaded directly then failed.

They were warned and failed to follow instructions.

End of story.  Fail them all for failing to follow instructions.  It doesn't matter if a dog ate their homework or the internet did.  It's either in on time or it's not.  

As for Apple, they did put in the auto-converter for SMS and Email.  I'm surprised it doesn't happen all the time as soon as it leaves the iOS environment. 

A little unforgiving, aren’t you?

Being too in a given field does not mean that one is technically inclined enough to understand image formats, or how to convert it. IT exists in workplace for a reason.

Further, there are some comments that some students have gotten the instructions after the exam went live, or (for those not using social media) possibly not at all (can’t confirm, so grain of salt), in which case, I feel absolves students of fault, as it’s entirely unreasonable to expect students to figure out a previously unknown function in the middle of said exam. 

From what articles mentioned, the site did not return any sort of decisive error code when a student attempts to upload an incompatible format, and would remain stuck on loading. Again, students that have not gotten the warning beforehand would be unaware of the problem that had just occurred. Students deserve user friendly software too you know. ;)

I’d prefer schools to err on the side of innocent until proven otherwise. Unless there is confirmations that all students taking the exam had been shown a very attention-grabbing warning and instructions directly before the exam took place (which would decisively prove students got the warning and ignored it), then I feel allowing retakes to be appropriate. 

The pursuit of knowledge for the sake of knowledge.

Forever in search of my reason to exist.

HEIF has been used in iPhones for quite some time, also by default the phone will automatically convert it from the HEIF to JPG. Even if it doesn't their school IT should have keep themselves up to date, or try to figure out what's going on. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

10 hours ago, LAwLz said:

When I went to college we had to submit everything in whatever format the teacher or professor instructed us to use. Usually PDF.

It was out job to follow the directions the teacher instructed us with, not the teacher's job to adopt to whatever the students wanted to use.

Yep but when you haven't had the time to actually develop a course to be run using distance learning or may not have everything in place and all the course instructors sufficiently trained so putting in a system that can't handle a fall back to pure file upload is going to cause problems and submission failures. It's not been a problem for us because it's been a core part of the university for the 1-2 decades so all the supporting tools and training is already there and most courses are available on campus and distance so now that the campuses are closed and everyone is distance learning not much changes at all.

Not everyone is in a luxurious position as this, in a state of already prepared and operating in a distance learning model.

When you went to collage it wasn't closed mid course due to a pandemic, I don't think existing experiences apply much here.

10 hours ago, LAwLz said:

We are in a very special situation right now where everyone has to think on their feet to find solutions to new problems.

Exactly why image format verification with no fallback to file upload was bound to failure. I wholly disagree in this situation that it is anything but the academic institution responsibility to adapt and accept as submitted as is. It is not fair to place a burden on the students without the support and education to do something they did not have to do before with a strict cutoff causing them to fail due to non-submission when in fact they were ready, were trying to submit and it was an IT system preventing it.

At least they can retake the test.

Edit:

And why on earth was a practice run not done with the students that were going to take the test so they could try out the submission process, a real live test of the process for everyone involved.

10 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

correct me if i'm wrong, but don't HEIF-supporting smartphones default to HEIF? o_o i kinda expected a bit more than "less than 1%" to fall into this technical difficulty

This would only affect those writing by hand and then taking a picture, so anyone typing the answer would be fine.

Of those writing by hand, I guess not that many students use expensive, exam-screwing phones :P

38 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Edit:

And why on earth was a practice run not done with the students that were going to take the test so they could try out the submission process, a real live test of the process for everyone involved.

There was a practice test, with guidelines on how to submit and everything

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

The most stupid part of this is if thier website put the correct HTML markup on the upload location then iOS (and Android) would convert the images for you.

This markup is not even new, https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/input/file adding `accept="image/png, image/jpeg"` to the HTML tag would have solved this! This is something they should have done even if HEIF was not a thing!

10 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

correct me if i'm wrong, but don't HEIF-supporting smartphones default to HEIF? o_o i kinda expected a bit more than "less than 1%" to fall into this technical difficulty

Yes, but Windows 10 doesn't ship with the HEIF codec. The best way to describe it is that HEIF is a MPEG container for images, and the image is compressed using the hardware HEVC (h.265) codec. So no web software or web browser will support it unless it already has h.265 support.

The same problem exists with using WebP. WebP is the exact same idea but using the VP8 codec. Since the decoders for both HEIF and WebP are excessively overkill, it comes at a large expense to embedded devices and free software.

HEIF

https://nokiatech.github.io/heif/technical.html

WEBP

https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/docs/compression

Neither are good for animation, lossless RGBA images (such as those you'd use with a GPU), as they are both primarily concerned with photos from smartphones, which are already fairly low quality.

30 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

There was a practice test, with guidelines on how to submit and everything

Well then, failure to prepare is preparing to fail.

this is fully on college board.

you can try and blame students but lack of a notification upload failed and maybe you should mention how to fix it right there.

college board makes a very rushed test and I've take 3 SATs and 2 AP 2-3 years ago. Nothing about my online submission for 1 of the AP classes despite it not being during test time was easy to figure out.

for those who are saying AP kids should be better I had kids who were struggling to turn in a java file which was accepted in an AP comp sci class

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 2.0: R7 2700 @4.0ghz, B450m Steel Legends, H105, 4x8gb Geil EVO 2866, XFX RX 580 8GB, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 500gb 850 pro and 5tb Toshiba x300

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 250 intel 730, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Bearcat (F@H box) core 2 duo, 1x4gb EEC DDR2, 250gb WD blue, 9800GTX+, STRIX 660ti, supermicro PSU, dell T3400.

Rappter(unfinished compute server) HP DL380G6 2xE5520 24GB ram with 4x146gb 10k drives and 4x300gb 10K drives, running NOTHING can't get anything to work

Spirt  (unfinished NAS) Cisco Security Multiservices Platform server e5420 12gb ram, 1x6 1tb raid 6 for plex + Need funding 16+1 2tb raid 6 for mass storage.

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List      How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."  @CircleTech

Camera Gear: Canon SL2, 60D, T5, 24-105 F, 50mm F1.4, 75-300 III, rokinon 25 T1.5, Helios44-m, Sony FS700R, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 hour ago, GDRRiley said:

this is fully on college board.

you can try and blame students but lack of a notification upload failed and maybe you should mention how to fix it right there.

college board makes a very rushed test and I've take 3 SATs and 2 AP 2-3 years ago. Nothing about my online submission for 1 of the AP classes despite it not being during test time was easy to figure out.

for those who are saying AP kids should be better I had kids who were struggling to turn in a java file which was accepted in an AP comp sci class

they could have fixed it with a tiny change to the HTML, if when you do an `input` field you include that you only want JPEG iOS will convert HEIF files when you upload them for you. This has been part of the HTML spec since file input fields were added! Its just a massive fail to not properly build your HTML form. 

9 minutes ago, hishnash said:

they could have fixed it with a tiny change to the HTML, if when you do an `input` field you include that you only want JPEG iOS will convert HEIF files when you upload them for you. This has been part of the HTML spec since file input fields were added! Its just a massive fail to not properly build your HTML form. 

welcome to college board. the tests they made where a major joke along with the level of cheating happening. They also can't make consistent test. My last SAT was super easy so everyone did really well that led to a super strong curve.

I took a comp sci principles class that it took most of the kids under 1/2 of the time to complete.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 2.0: R7 2700 @4.0ghz, B450m Steel Legends, H105, 4x8gb Geil EVO 2866, XFX RX 580 8GB, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 500gb 850 pro and 5tb Toshiba x300

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 250 intel 730, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Bearcat (F@H box) core 2 duo, 1x4gb EEC DDR2, 250gb WD blue, 9800GTX+, STRIX 660ti, supermicro PSU, dell T3400.

Rappter(unfinished compute server) HP DL380G6 2xE5520 24GB ram with 4x146gb 10k drives and 4x300gb 10K drives, running NOTHING can't get anything to work

Spirt  (unfinished NAS) Cisco Security Multiservices Platform server e5420 12gb ram, 1x6 1tb raid 6 for plex + Need funding 16+1 2tb raid 6 for mass storage.

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List      How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."  @CircleTech

Camera Gear: Canon SL2, 60D, T5, 24-105 F, 50mm F1.4, 75-300 III, rokinon 25 T1.5, Helios44-m, Sony FS700R, 2 Cos-11D lavs

41 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

welcome to college board. the tests they made where a major joke along with the level of cheating happening. They also can't make consistent test. My last SAT was super easy so everyone did really well that led to a super strong curve.

I took a comp sci principles class that it took most of the kids under 1/2 of the time to complete.

When I was back in Uni (UK) doing pure-math we had one professor who used completely different notation durring the year compared to what was in his exam paper.  Most of the students had no idea what they question was asking them to do since they had never seen these symbols even through the questions themselves where easy. if you happen to have come across that alternative nation used by student studying engineering it was clear that all the questions were supper simple, 

This lead the uni was unable just grade by percentile they had to offer students to swap from 70% example 30%coursework to 70% coursework 30% example. 

At least we were in a mathematic department so it was clear to the markers that it was unfair to just grade based of percentiles due to the paper being eligible for anyone who had not also done and engineering course.  Apparently the Postgrad puth mathematicians who mark the papers were also very confused with the notation!

So i think educational institutions screwing up is a global issue.

13 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Blame the server software? Well HEIC is a pretty rare format,

How is HEIC pretty rare if every iPhone takes photos in that format? 

The College Board gets no sympathy from me. They are a for profit company that scavenges hundreds off of high school students. They can afford to implement HEIC conversion or pay to use it natively.

And yes, Safari does support HEIC. 
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207022

Laptop: 2020 13" MacBook Pro i5, 512GB, G7 Graphics, 16GB LPDDR4X | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB | Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell 27 Gaming Monitor S2719DGF 1440p @155Hz, Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball
12 hours ago, TetraSky said:

then it is the responsibility of the students because they should've been warned repeatedly. While it is possible that some schools/teachers didn't bother warning them, I kinda doubt they weren't told one way or another and they just didn't give a flip.

Wow, the amount of victim blaming in this thread is toxic. 

College Board developers casually forgot to handle basic image sharing functionality*

Collage Board does not enforce file type restrictions*

Students submit their work with the most common cameras available*

”Welp it was the students fault for not knowing that they should went into settings and turned off HEIC to handle the terrible programming of Collage Board developers” 

Laptop: 2020 13" MacBook Pro i5, 512GB, G7 Graphics, 16GB LPDDR4X | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB | Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell 27 Gaming Monitor S2719DGF 1440p @155Hz, Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball
On 5/22/2020 at 12:05 PM, Zodiark1593 said:

A little unforgiving, aren’t you?

Being too in a given field does not mean that one is technically inclined enough to understand image formats, or how to convert it. IT exists in workplace for a reason.

Further, there are some comments that some students have gotten the instructions after the exam went live, or (for those not using social media) possibly not at all (can’t confirm, so grain of salt), in which case, I feel absolves students of fault, as it’s entirely unreasonable to expect students to figure out a previously unknown function in the middle of said exam. 

From what articles mentioned, the site did not return any sort of decisive error code when a student attempts to upload an incompatible format, and would remain stuck on loading. Again, students that have not gotten the warning beforehand would be unaware of the problem that had just occurred. Students deserve user friendly software too you know. ;)

I’d prefer schools to err on the side of innocent until proven otherwise. Unless there is confirmations that all students taking the exam had been shown a very attention-grabbing warning and instructions directly before the exam took place (which would decisively prove students got the warning and ignored it), then I feel allowing retakes to be appropriate. 

Unforgiving? These are students going out into the real world, where a mistake like this would get them fired.   They had a deadline, and they missed it - end of story.  

Your boss wouldn't accept this answer when they just lost a multi-million dollar client - especially so if they issued warnings about it in the first place AND provided reasonable ways to fix it.  You would be out on your ass, looking for a new job.

Here's how that conversation would go..

"Hey Bob, you missed your deadline and we lost the client. What happened, did you end up in the ER or something?"

"Oh, No. I submitted the files on my iPhone."

"Did you follow the instructions we sent out, with warnings about iPhone issues"

"No, I didn't read them, I figured everything would be fine. It must be ITs fault, because everything else works normally"

"You mean you lost us a client, made us look bad in the business world, after ignoring our warnings about it because you assumed it would be fine."

"Yeah. It should have worked, everything works normally."

"You're fired."

4 minutes ago, Evanair said:

These are students going out into the real world, where a mistake like this would get them fired.

No it wouldn't, because every employer knows mistakes happen and immediate termination offences are nothing like this. And for that matter mistakes like this only happen due to lack of employee training and supervision so it's the employers fault first, then repeated mistakes are the employee.

4 minutes ago, Evanair said:

especially so if they issued warnings about it in the first place AND provided reasonable ways to fix it.  You would be out on your ass, looking for a new job.

Many are reporting they did not get the required instructions or got them after the test so it does nobody any good to tell them something they need to know after they needed to know it.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

No it wouldn't, because every employer knows mistakes happen and immediate termination offences are nothing like this. And for that matter mistakes like this only happen due to lack of employee training and supervision so it's the employers fault first, then repeated mistakes are the emloyee.

Screw up a major deadline (AP Exams are major) and lose a client, yes you would be fired. Doesn't matter if you're day 1 or day 365, you're still gone.