Australia 'records fastest internet speed ever' - 44.2Tbps

dangb9
42 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

His point was given your speeds you should swap to mobile broadband.

don't have a non-Telstra tower close by. and even the closest Telstra tower is absolutely useless even though it's less than 4km away.

14 minutes ago, X-System said:

And Internet by satellite ?

absolutely terrible data caps. im talking max of 150GB on peak and 5-25mbps down which means 10mbps is you're super lucky, 5mbps average for 25% more than what i'm paying at the moment.

Can you tell i don't have a lot of faith in our ISPs?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

4 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Even wireless(be it cellular or long range wifi) is better than adsl lol.....

Can be but not always. We've had wireless internet here for a long time with ISPs using Mikrotik and Ubiquiti equipment and up until very recently these could only deliver 4Mbps to 10 Mbps to customers, single point to point wireless is very different to point to multipoint services. I put my parents on high speed urban wireless due to not being able to get fibre down the shared driveway and it's fine but due to all the pitfalls of wireless isn't even close to the most basic fibre connections.

4G broadband is a lot worse than high speed urban wireless and better than long range rural wireless (unless you pay big bucks for dedicated point to point). 5G might supplant urban wireless but it'll cost more to deploy and service may take a long time to become actually good, and here 5G home internet is not going to be a high priority thing due to FTTH being the defacto and gov funded residential connection. Maybe in Australia it'll take off a lot more but it'll be deployed and used like 4G fixed wireless broadband first so getting more than 30 Mbps will be closer to the exception than the rule.

On 5/22/2020 at 9:48 AM, BuckGup said:

Welcome to all of America that isn’t in one of the 7 large cities. Star link needs to come ASAP as over 38 million Americans still don’t have any access to internet 

Rural midwest here on 200mbps spectrum with option for 400

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

CPU: R7 5800x3d (-25 all core CO 102 bclk)

Board: Gigabyte B550 AD UC

Cooler: Corsair H150i AIO

Ram: 32gb HP V10 RGB 3200 C14 (3733 C14) tuned subs

GPU: EVGA XC3 RTX 3080 (+120 core +950 mem 90% PL)

Case: Thermaltake H570 TG Snow Edition

PSU: Fractal ION Plus 760w Platinum  

SSD: 1tb Teamgroup MP34  2tb Mushkin Pilot-E

Monitors: 32" Samsung Odyssey G7 (1440p 240hz), Some FHD Acer 24" VA

GFs System

CPU: E5 1660v3 (4.3ghz 1.2v)

Mobo: Gigabyte x99 UD3P

Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO

Ram: 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 C16 (3000 C14)

GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 Super 

Case: Phanteks P400A Mesh

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w

SSD: Kingston NV1 2tb

Monitors: 27" Viotek GFT27DB (1440p 144hz), Some 24" BENQ 1080p IPS

1 hour ago, TheDankKoosh said:

Rural midwest here on 200mbps spectrum with option for 400

Yah, I'm near a decent sized city but not one of the "7 large cities" and I've got gigabit fiber from AT&T

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

9 hours ago, leadeater said:

5G might supplant urban wireless but it'll cost more to deploy and service may take a long time to become actually good, and here 5G home internet is not going to be a high priority thing due to FTTH being the defacto and gov funded residential connection. Maybe in Australia it'll take off a lot more but it'll be deployed and used like 4G fixed wireless broadband first so getting more than 30 Mbps will be closer to the exception than the rule.

Fixed 4G is pretty good, I get 200Mbps in my house with a trash iPhone, I would get higher with a dedicated modem/router device. I used to have fixed 3G over 10 years ago and that was 10Mbps.

4 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

Fixed 4G is pretty good, I get 200Mbps in my house with a trash iPhone, I would get higher with a dedicated modem/router device. I used to have fixed 3G over 10 years ago and that was 10Mbps.

Fixed 4G usually use 700MHz spectrum for long distance and coverage and unless you are really close and also don't have many obstructions then you can get good speeds. Few people I know are on 4G fixed broadband and 30Mbps is best you can get as long as the tower isn't busy.

I can get a lot faster on my phone sure, especially when I'm close to a tower but fixed 4G isn't nearly as good and deployment design is for coverage rather than speed.

10 hours ago, leadeater said:

4G broadband is a lot worse than high speed urban wireless and better than long range rural wireless (unless you pay big bucks for dedicated point to point).

I can attest to this being true. Prior to the installation of fiber optic cables in my parents’ house which is in a rural farmland, they use LTE wireless broadband and I can say that i a hit or miss for high bandwidth activities than the LTE on my phone when I’m in an urban area (2100 MHz), primarily because rural LTE broadband uses 700 MHz which is great for coverage but sucks on bandwidth capacity. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

On 5/22/2020 at 10:30 PM, Arika S said:

This is what happens when you don't let Telstra control shit.

otherwise you get this

9483862230.png

for $100AUD a month, with no option to go with anyone else

EDIT: Absolute best case scenario i get just above 7mbps down if nothing else is happening on the network

I had the same issue with my apartment building, a lot of old wiring and multiple owners, tenants and the body corporate to deal with and nobody wanted to fix it.  I ended up swapping to a 4G plan with Optus, i pay $60 a month for 200 gigs and the speed isn't bad.

9492266510.png

im on fiber from AT&T right now and while I can get 1gig I got a 100 plan and I get

internet.JPG.4d428761ac6f0e4f7764e41ad6ff57da.JPG

we will likely move to a fixed based wireless that has a fiber node every few blocks that gets us 300/300 for less\

this claim they made doesn't really mean jack

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

6 hours ago, leadeater said:

Fixed 4G usually use 700MHz spectrum for long distance and coverage and unless you are really close and also don't have many obstructions then you can get good speeds. Few people I know are on 4G fixed broadband and 30Mbps is best you can get as long as the tower isn't busy.

I can get a lot faster on my phone sure, especially when I'm close to a tower but fixed 4G isn't nearly as good and deployment design is for coverage rather than speed.

Is this just a difference between Aus and NZ? AFAIK Aus has one of the best mobile networks in the world.

7 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

Is this just a difference between Aus and NZ? AFAIK Aus has one of the best mobile networks in the world.

Depends, it's all the same tech with all the same speeds etc. If your ISPs are deploying fixed 4G broadband services on high band you'll get faster speeds but that would be rather odd as it'll be putting those on the same bands as cellphones crowding the tower which will impact those cellphone users. You don't really want persistent connections like that on the same service bands as you won't be able to adequately quality of service things well enough.

That's why the 700 MHz spectrum is used for fixed 4G, it's designed for long distance and reliable coverage service and almost no phones support that band so it's a good fit.

It does look like NBN went with high band for fixed 4G, didn't even know 4G went this high.

image.thumb.png.8ffbc808809172fd905404e7a732278b.png

So as long as you are on NBN fixed 4G and it's on the high band, not 700MHz, then you'll get faster speeds but you'll have to be much closer to towers to actually get service. 

42 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Depends, it's all the same tech with all the same speeds etc. If your ISPs are deploying fixed 4G broadband services on high band you'll get faster speeds but that would be rather odd as it'll be putting those on the same bands as cellphones crowding the tower which will impact those cellphone users. You don't really want persistent connections like that on the same service bands as you won't be able to adequately quality of service things well enough.

That's why the 700 MHz spectrum is used for fixed 4G, it's designed for long distance and reliable coverage service and almost no phones support that band so it's a good fit.

It does look like NBN went with high band for fixed 4G, didn't even know 4G went this high.

image.thumb.png.8ffbc808809172fd905404e7a732278b.png

So as long as you are on NBN fixed 4G and it's on the high band, not 700MHz, then you'll get faster speeds but you'll have to be much closer to towers to actually get service. 

Phones definitely use 700MHz in Australia https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/10/what-is-4gx/

Telstra sells mobile broadband plans on 4G with “up to 1Gbps”. AFAIK regular mobile and mobile broadband connections share the same bands.

49 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Wait, so let's say I came to NZ with my unlocked iPhone that supports 700 MHz 4G LTE and I use a Spark or Vodafone sim card, does it mean my unlocked iPhone can't tap to NZ's 700 MHz or just a specific block of 700 MHz is allotted for fixed wireless broadband?

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

On 5/23/2020 at 1:54 AM, LemonZilla said:

I live in a 3rd world country (Morocco) and this is what my internet looks like :D and that costs me 50$ a month

SharedScreenshot.jpg

Wow. That's really great

15 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Wait, so let's say I came to NZ with my unlocked iPhone that supports 700 MHz 4G LTE and I use a Spark or Vodafone sim card, does it mean my unlocked iPhone can't tap to NZ's 700 MHz or just a specific block of 700 MHz is allotted for fixed wireless broadband?

Not sure, I don't think they allow cellphones to connect on the 700MHz bands but I don't actually know. 700MHz is specifically reserved for UFB 4G fixed broadband service and it's 'not allowed' to be used for anything else. I've not actually tried to connect a cellphone to 700MHz here.

40 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

Phones definitely use 700MHz in Australia https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/10/what-is-4gx/

You do realize it says in the article few phones support 700MHz like I said. It's not that none do it's that not many do so it's a good band to use for fixed services where the ISP provide equipment, it's an un-congested band so great for service speed reliability.

40 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

Telstra sells mobile broadband plans on 4G with “up to 1Gbps”. AFAIK regular mobile and mobile broadband connections share the same bands.

So does every other ISP in the world, everyone uses the same equipment. There's only a select few companies that make this equipment and it's all the same technology. Up to 1Gbps is honestly meaningless because outside of controlled tests to show it can be done you don't actually get anywhere near that, I don't think I've ever seen a real live speed hitting 300Mbps, over 100 sure but you can test again 5 minutes later and get 30 then 5 minutes later 90 etc.

Here ISPs are a lot more careful about making those sorts of 'Up to cliams' as we recently made some amendments to our consumer laws regarding ISPs and plan speed advertisements. Now you actually have to reasonably achieve it to advertise it and no more rounding up to 1000 on Fibre plans when it's actually 950, stuff like that.

No ISP here puts any speed claims on 4G fixed plan advertisements, here's an example of what they do say:

Wireless Broadband speeds are typically faster than ADSL broadband but generally slower than Fibre. As with all our home broadband plans, we aim to provide the fastest speeds available, however it is important to remember that internet speeds are not guaranteed.

On 5/22/2020 at 3:23 PM, dangb9 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52769796

https://www.upi.com/Science_News/2020/05/22/Australian-scientists-set-Internet-speed-record-using-single-optical-chip/1871590147513/

TDLR: 

-Could this see cloud computing becoming the 'defacto' choice? with home users needing nothing more than a thin client - if so what would that mean for the home computer markets CPU/ GPU development cycles?

-Products like Nvidia Shield becoming the first choice for gaming?

-the rise of Linux? 

-Software moving more to cloud licencing models for use and processing power?

-8k plus streaming services?

-the beginning of the  end to LTT 'Storinator' videos!!!??😲 

sounds scary. don't like where the future's heading to if that's what follows... :D Imma be a hw hipster 20 years from now....everyone be using their cloud based systems, while I carry around a laptop with it's own resource pool. Might even scare people off with the Windows 7 logo 

10 hours ago, StealthLion said:

I don't get why this 44.2tbps is really newsworthy - back in 2014 there was news that a proof of concept test conducted by Netherlands and American scientists that pushed 255tbps down a single optical fiber

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/192929-255tbps-worlds-fastest-network-could-carry-all-the-internet-traffic-single-fiber

That was with multiple (50+) lasers working together, this is with a single laser over a comb allowing for more real world applications.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Wifi in some parts of RMIT and University of melbourne (especially at trinity college) is pretty good, you could download at 25MB/s off steam. 

That said, my observation was done a few years ago so things might be different.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

image.thumb.png.0f5d8e735f2533e9480f3760236753fb.pngsorry I have to flex on you guys 😎 (I live near a decently populated city but the closest wired internet connection is 1/3 of a mile away and it makes me so mad. Yes, this is America.)

F@H [] Autobiography [] 

Main Desktop and Folding Rig :

Spoiler

Cpu : I5-9400f

Gpu : GTX 1070 Founder's Edition
Psu : Seasonic G-650

Ram : G.Skill Aegis 4x8gb DDR4 2666MHz (14-15-15-34)

External Storage : 8tb Western Digital Elements Usb 3.0 Hard Drive

Storage : Samsung 970 Evo 500GB

Motherboard : ASUS B365 Pro-4 m

Gaming Laptop :

Spoiler

Cpu : I7-8750H 2.2ghz 

Gpu : GTX 1070 Max Q 

Psu : laptop b r i c k 

Ram : 16gb 2666Mhz 

Storage : 512Gb SATA SSD 

Motherboard : it's a laptop.....

old boomer (currently non-functional)

Spoiler

Cpu : I5-6400 2.7ghz (doesn't have a heatsink)

Gpu : Asus RX580 8gb (might sell)

Psu : EVGA 500 watt 80 plus

Ram : 16gb DDR3 1400mhz

Storage : 1tb Toshiba HDD (currently in main pc)

Motherboard : Generic ASUS pre-built motherboard

On 5/22/2020 at 10:30 PM, Arika S said:

This is what happens when you don't let Telstra control shit.

otherwise you get this

9483862230.png

for $100AUD a month, with no option to go with anyone else

EDIT: Absolute best case scenario i get just above 7mbps down if nothing else is happening on the network

Switch to TPG. The customer service is nonexistent but at least speeds are quite good

I thought we had it bad in the UK but I think with how our government is approaching broadband to be as important as any other utility has had a tremendous effect on the market place and have promised to get gigabit capability to 100% of the UK in the next decade. I currently get 356 mbps download with virgin media however a alt net called city fibre are planning on laying its network into my area which will allow 1 gbps download, Virgin are close to upgrading it's network to this however virgin use Dosics technology whereas City fibre are FTTP so are symmetrical and also the biggest company in British Telecom (BT for short) have also begun FTTP in my area and I live in a small town and 5G has also just been turned on in my area too. This is becoming the norm in the UK pretty fast and I for one aren't complaining also as of next year ISP's are required to get 10mbps download and 1 mbps upload to every property by law at a minimum. Please find a test over my WiFi (WiFi router is the Asus mesh system that is WiFi 6 capable) and one via 5G.

Screenshot_20200525-233505_Speedtest.jpg

Screenshot_20200525-233543_Speedtest.jpg

On 5/22/2020 at 1:34 PM, captain_to_fire said:

what? I thought my internet is the definition of a 3rd world internet but I guess I was wrong. And that's ~$40 for me to have FTT(x)

image.png.864ae2b811f90d30a9438bc952968816.png

Oh my, I thought I was Ghetto for being in London and getting this crap...

Ghetto.thumb.PNG.70ea0daf125db012f09bfab1b8abf6af.PNG

How, and why, have you got double the upload speed of your download speed....your upload matches my download....