GTX 1060 idle temp 44 spikes to 82 after 20 seconds of gaming.

Hi guys,

These are my specs:

Core i5-3470

2x 4GB DDR3

Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Kingston 512GB SSD

2TB WD 5400RPM drive

EVGA GTX 1060 6GB Gaming https://www.evga.com/products/specs/gpu.aspx?pn=f1aefe7f-3b97-444d-9859-ceb772861f3f
PSU Thermaltake Smart series 500W https://www.thermaltake.com/smart-500w.html

On to the issue:

This has been happening for as long as I can remember. But just now I was thinking on seeing why....

GPU temperature right now idle is 44 degrees, there has been day when it is 50 or even 60.

GPU temperature when gaming and not at 100% usage, it could be 50% usage, spikes to 82 degrees in a matter of seconds, GPU thermal throttle kicks in and GPU clock goes from 1800ish to 1500ish.

This happens all the time with any game.

Besides from that, no problems, no freezing of games, no BSOD, no errors whatsoever.

I have seen reviews of this exact same GPU, and temperature is around 70 something when on full load....

So any clues? Bad PSU? Bad GPU?

Thanks, and sorry if there are spelling mistakes, english is not my main language.

Check your fan curve. Sounds like the fans aren't spinning up correctly.

If the card is out of warranty it may be worth taking off the cooler and reseating with new thermal paste.

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

Corsair AF120 - 2x Noctua NF-F12 - 3 x Noctua NF-S12

Dell S2417DG - Dell UH2515H 

This could be due to a faulty GPU temperature sensor. Spiking 30°C in a matter of seconds seems impossible.

If you see no affect in game activity when temp spikes occur, it may not be an issue you need to worry about.

Also, when these temp spikes occur, does cpu or memory temp or usage spike simultaneously?

Sorry forgot about fan curve. I have the fan to go to a 100% if temps reach the high 70. The screenshot below, is 1 minute of the game standing still, GPU usage around 80%. Fans at 100% from before starting the game. Fan work as I can hear them at full speed when I set them at 100%

gpu.png

A friend of mine owned a EVGA 1080Ti and had to RMA it 3 times because the GPU temperature Sensor went crazy and caused fans to spin up randomly.
After the 3rd time he got his money back. Maybe this is an specific EVGA issue.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X | GPU: Vega 64   | RAM: 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z | Storage:  Samsung 850 / Corsair MP510  | Mainboard: ASUS X570 Prime Pro | Case: Fractal Define R6 | PSU: Corsair RM750i  | Cooling: Custom Waterloop

Ok so, warranty is off the table.....the problem is that the speed of the GPU goes down, so I get less performance when the temp sensor reaches 82 degrees or so, and that is always the case. If I don't mess with the fan curve and I leave the driver to do that, fans don't go to 100% almost never and GPU temp can go to 84 or 85 degrees.

Any way of disabling the thermal throttle? Or I am stuck with this until I change it, no more EVGA for me....

These are the fans on auto, same game same place. For about a minute. 65% fan speed, GPU clock already down to 1500ish, temp as always 82 / 83

gpu.png

11 minutes ago, swordfishpooper said:

This could be due to a faulty GPU temperature sensor. Spiking 30°C in a matter of seconds seems impossible.

If you see no affect in game activity when temp spikes occur, it may not be an issue you need to worry about.

Also, when these temp spikes occur, does cpu or memory temp or usage spike simultaneously?

Sorry forgot to reply, CPU temp and memory do not seem linked to GPU temp rise.

Upped Afterburner "power limit" setting from 100 to maximum 116%:

Temp is now on 90 / 91 but thermal throttle seems to have been reduced, and automatica fan control is on 100% now.

gpu.png