Fan Replacement - MSI GTX 1080 TI Armor OC

Go to solution Solved by homeap5,

Fan is fan - it's only job is to blow air, nothing more. So china fan or original fan do the same, except noise level.

You should plug other fan to motherboard because card controller may be not good for it.

I had card that works in 80% fan speed for the same reason. And it works good even today. I'm just using vsync, so I don't have that high temperatures.

If we're talking about temperatures - 80%, 100% - I don't think it will make a big difference. Whatever you do will be ok, it's only fan. If you add fan close to radiator on your card, you'll be ok. You can even mount bigger one using zipties and plug into motherboard. I have old card "repaired" that way (temps the same, less noise than original fan).

Of course if you have glass case and you must have everything looking fancy, you have problem and the only solution will be buying whole GPU cooling.

Hey folks,

recently one of the fans for my good old MSI GTX 1080 TI Armor OC broke (over 80% speed -> makes crackling noise kinda like an old HDD). So I set the Temp-target to 80°C and max Fan-speed to 80% but I want to replace it soon. Sadly I can't find any replacement fans in my country (Germany). Also plan to re-paste because it's getting really hot these days (90°C+) so I already need to open the GPU.

What options do I have? Can I buy identical china fans or do I have to use the exact same fans?

Thanks for your help!

Fan is fan - it's only job is to blow air, nothing more. So china fan or original fan do the same, except noise level.

You should plug other fan to motherboard because card controller may be not good for it.

I had card that works in 80% fan speed for the same reason. And it works good even today. I'm just using vsync, so I don't have that high temperatures.

If we're talking about temperatures - 80%, 100% - I don't think it will make a big difference. Whatever you do will be ok, it's only fan. If you add fan close to radiator on your card, you'll be ok. You can even mount bigger one using zipties and plug into motherboard. I have old card "repaired" that way (temps the same, less noise than original fan).

Of course if you have glass case and you must have everything looking fancy, you have problem and the only solution will be buying whole GPU cooling.

6 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Will try to remove the old fan and ziptie a 140mm on it (have multiple left that still should work).