PC constantly stuck in boot/post loop

Flank Sauce

I have recently installed a new system. I upgraded ram, mobo, m2 ssd, gpu, and cpu. I clean installed windows and the pc ran fine for a couple days.

Hardware:
ryzen 3900x
trident z 3600mhz ddr4 32gb
evga 2080ti ftw3 ultra gpu
asus x570-E
samsung 970 evo plus m.2 ssd
corsair rmi1000 psu

I left the pc running in order to download a game because my wifi is slow, this morning I woke up to a black screen, I restarted the pc and it began doing this (youtube video).

note the lights on the top right of the mobo are boot, vga, cpu, and dram error checking lights in order from top to bottom, the bottom left is post codes. I've looked up many of the post codes and they don't point to anything useful, and it cycles so fast that I cannot read the others.

On a rare occasion it will boot all the way into windows, or make it to the recovery state but almost always it does what is showed above in the video, many times it has made it into windows or into the recovery state only to crash again

When I could boot I read the event logger and it only said critical event 41 task 63 which means an unexpected shutdown.

another note: yesterday I updated bios, but I did restart the computer a couple times to install other updates and it was fine

I have tried:
reseating ram/cpu, only one stick of ram
different cpu cooler and thermal paste reapplication (just in case it was overheating or something weird and temp sensors were off)
disconnecting it from the internet
disconnecting gpu
disconnecting all drives except boot
disconnect usb headers
clear cmos
restoring system back to an earlier date (on the occasion it would reach the OS)
reinstall windows
wipe ssd and clean install windows
attempt to rollback the bios but it doesn't work
lowering ram frequency

I have a feeling it is the motherboard, as this didn't happen before and was using this psu in my last build 4 days ago. I feel as though cpu is unlikely, but who knows, same with ram. I have another psu I can try, but has anyone had anything similar or know what could be causing this? Thank you!

“Sometimes works” can mean memory.  One stick at a time method might be the way to go here.  Another thought is pull the hard drive which may just stop the thing in bios and allow you to do hardware checks.  If it doesn’t stop the boot loop it implies it’s a hardware or bios issue.  Maybe pull the drive and boot first to see if that works.  If it does it’s a memory or windows issue.  If it doesn’t it’s a memory or bios issue.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Hey there, I'm having the same issue. Actually I've posted about it a couple hours ago. My symptoms are very similar. I have done almost the same things you did to troubleshoot, and I think it's either the PSU, mobo or cpu (in that order). The first thing to do is trying a new PSU... I'll do that too. Keep us posted if you try new things.

My thread: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1197457-infinite-loop-after-boot-and-post-near-desperation/

1 hour ago, ridakzemlo said:

Hey there, I'm having the same issue. Actually I've posted about it a couple hours ago. My symptoms are very similar. I have done almost the same things you did to troubleshoot, and I think it's either the PSU, mobo or cpu (in that order). The first thing to do is trying a new PSU... I'll do that too. Keep us posted if you try new things.

My thread: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1197457-infinite-loop-after-boot-and-post-near-desperation/

Not impossible.  SOP is do the cheap easy stuff first though even if it’s lower probabliluty on the grounds that if it turns out to be the problem you’re going to feel kind of dumb having two working parts.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 hours ago, ridakzemlo said:

I have a spare rm1000i psu from corsair! I will be trying on a test bench tonight. 

I noticed I have a code d6 or d0 or something which says pch initialization failed, that can be due to many things. I did notice when taking the motherboard out of the case whoever at the factory installed the standoffs installed one incorrectly and cross threaded it, so I wonder if its causing the mobo to short or something, I will be testing it on a cardboard box for maximum anti conduction! I will come back with the results

so I tested everything with a separate psu, still no luck. I also tried:

no drives

different drive entirely

different gpu

swapping ram around

swapping m.2 slots

still makes me wonder if maybe the other psu is bad too? I really don't know how it could be.

Eventually I tried the dram frequency up again and it now is at least getting into windows recovery, which makes me think I just got a bad batch of ram? Maybe its a windows update that did it or something? I really am not sure. Either way, I ordered replacement parts of each thing so I will test and return when they arrive

2 minutes ago, Flank Sauce said:

I have a spare rm1000i psu from corsair! I will be trying on a test bench tonight. 

I noticed I have a code d6 or d0 or something which says pch initialization failed, that can be due to many things. I did notice when taking the motherboard out of the case whoever at the factory installed the standoffs installed one incorrectly and cross threaded it, so I wonder if its causing the mobo to short or something, I will be testing it on a cardboard box for maximum anti conduction! I will come back with the results

so I tested everything with a separate psu, still no luck. I also tried:

no drives

different drive entirely

different gpu

swapping ram around

swapping m.2 slots

still makes me wonder if maybe the other psu is bad too? I really don't know how it could be.

Eventually I tried the dram frequency up again and it now is at least getting into windows recovery, which makes me think I just got a bad batch of ram? Maybe its a windows update that did it or something? I really am not sure. Either way, I ordered replacement parts of each thing so I will test and return when they arrive

Oh yeah, I am trying to get memtest86 going too, its 3am here now haha

I'm trying memtest too. I'll keep you posted.