Will this 3600 Mhz ram work with MSI B450 tomahawk max + ryzen 9 3900X

Go to solution Solved by Sophia_Borjia,

qvl lists combinations that have been tested.  If ram maker list it as 3600, it should run 3600.  It just has been put in that exact motherboard and had speed checked.  Chance of issue isn't zero, but is very low.  Early zen was picky with memory, newer zen isn't. 

Back in day, if you bought 2 sticks of ram and then bought 2 more it might not work, was safer to buy kit of 4 sticks tested to all work at same time, qvl lists were important back then.  Now some one upgrading two 8gb sticks to four wouldn't buy four 8gb stick kit and remove the two 8gb kit just to be safe.  Chance of issue is so tiny it is not even a concern anymore.

There are only 3 ram makers, all the different brands just add heat sinks and rgb to chips from samsung/micron/hynix.  Your unlisted on qvl ram could be exactly same ram chips as one that is listed, packaged by different company with different heat sink stock on.

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-16GTZNC
Motherboard: MSI B450 tomahawk max
CPU: ryzen 9 3900X

This is a 32gb 3600 mhz ram, which seems the best I can get. Is it good, and will it work properly with the specified motherboard and ryzen cpu?

it isn't in the QVL list tho.

1 minute ago, ahmad22 said:

it isn't in the QVL list tho.

It should work regardless, but it might not be able to run stable at 3600mhz.

Most likely though, you should be able to run it at full speeds.

Pizza is the best food group

1 minute ago, FeIIex said:

so you mean it's not certain to run at 3600mhz.   hmmm....

i guess i better buy a ram with 3000mhz then.
thank you.

24 minutes ago, FeIIex said:

hey, sorry for bothering you

i have another question:
what if i buy an Asus ROG Strix B450-F motherboard with this ram?
will it hit the 3600mhz? it actually is in the qvl list of asus motherboard....

8 minutes ago, ahmad22 said:

hey, sorry for bothering you

i have another question:
what if i buy an Asus ROG Strix B450-F motherboard with this ram?
will it hit the 3600mhz? it actually is in the qvl list of asus motherboard....

Both boards shouldn't have an issue reaching 3600mhz, but it asus board had that exact set of ram tested.

Honestly though the MSI b450 tomahawk max you've selected is the best b450 motherboard available, i'd try to keep it if you can.

Pizza is the best food group

qvl lists combinations that have been tested.  If ram maker list it as 3600, it should run 3600.  It just has been put in that exact motherboard and had speed checked.  Chance of issue isn't zero, but is very low.  Early zen was picky with memory, newer zen isn't. 

Back in day, if you bought 2 sticks of ram and then bought 2 more it might not work, was safer to buy kit of 4 sticks tested to all work at same time, qvl lists were important back then.  Now some one upgrading two 8gb sticks to four wouldn't buy four 8gb stick kit and remove the two 8gb kit just to be safe.  Chance of issue is so tiny it is not even a concern anymore.

There are only 3 ram makers, all the different brands just add heat sinks and rgb to chips from samsung/micron/hynix.  Your unlisted on qvl ram could be exactly same ram chips as one that is listed, packaged by different company with different heat sink stock on.

9 hours ago, Sophia_Borjia said:

thanks, you saved me!