Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Yamaha AG06 Mixer - if I plug in my headphones completely into it, sound is distorted. If my headphones are only inserted slightly, then sound is fine

TheGwardian

https://imgur.com/a/FGJOcFW

Basically I insert my headphones into the mixer fully, and sound sounds all weird and distorted. But if I remove the headphones slightly so it's not all the way in, then sound is fine. Wtf. Any ideas?

Web Developer, Gamer, Twitch Streamer, YouTuber, Tech Enthusiast

SNOW: i7-8700K CPU | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Founder's Edition | Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard | G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory | Samsung - 960 EVO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive | Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD | Western Digital - Red Pro 8TB Hard Drive | NZXT - Phantom 530 (White) ATX Full Tower Case | Corsair - RMx 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply | Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

THORi7-4790K CPU | G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) | Rosewill Case THOR V2 | Corsair HXi Series HX850i Modular Power Supply | ASRock ATX LGA 1150 Motherboards Z97 EXTREME6 | Samsung 950 PRO Series 512GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD | Western Digital WD Blue 1TB Hard Drive | Elgato HD60 Pro Internal Capture Card

Audio:  Audio-Technica AT2035 Cardioid Condenser Microphone | RODE PSA1 Swivel Mount Studio Microphone Boom Arm | Yamaha AG06 Mixer | Microphone Shock Mount with Pop Filter | Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Headphones | Logitech G430 Headset

Accessories / Misc.:  ViewHD Prosumer Ultra HD HDMI Splitter | CORSAIR K95 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard | Razer DeathStalker Keyboard | Corsair KATAR Gaming Mouse | Amazon Basics Mouse | Logitech C922 Webcam | Amazon Basics 7 Port USB 3.0 Hub x2 | Tripp Lite Isobar 8 Outlet Surge Protector Power Strip x2

When removing it half way you're getting a mono signal, the signal for one side is being sent to both sides of your headphones, when you put it all the way in it sounds like there's a short and you're getting phase cancellation, this happens when the signal from either side play against one another and cancel all frequencies that are the same on both sides, if you're missing a lot of vocal when you push it all the way in that's what it is. Unfortunately that means there's a physical defect, either with your headphones or the mixer (or more likely your adapter). See if you can isolate the problem to one of those and I'll have a better understanding of what action to take.

Sloth's the name, audio gear is the game
My Microphone and Interface tips and recommendations