Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

No display on monitor plugged into hdmi in USB Hub plugged into USB C

Hi

I couldn't find anything helpful on the web so I want to ask here.

I bought an USB Hub which is connected to my laptop (MSI GL65 95E) by USB-C, link here: USB Hub.

All usb 3.0 in this adapter works, but when i plug my monitor (ASUS VZ249HE Ultra-Slim) to HDMI port in this adapter, there is no display.

When I plug this monitor directly into HDMI port in my laptop, it works, so HDMI cable and monitor are fine.

I thought that USB Hub is broken so I got second one, but still, no display on HDMI.

I tried updating drivers, not worked. 

I tried this hub on 3 different monitors, 2 hdmi cables, 2 laptops, but i can't get this working.

Windows updates also didn't worked. Currently I am on KB4497165.

 

I bought it to add second external monitor to my laptop, so using only HDMI port in my laptop isn't solution.

 

On screenshot below i marked this hub with yellow highlight, just to be sure that system "see" this device and usb-c port.

unknown.png

P.S. Sorry for bad grammar, as you can see on screenshot, english is not my main language. If something is not clear, I will try to explain it better or provide more informations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, SJantos said:

Hi

I couldn't find anything helpful on the web so I want to ask here.

I bought an USB Hub which is connected to my laptop (MSI GL65 95E) by USB-C, link here: USB Hub.

All usb 3.0 in this adapter works, but when i plug my monitor (ASUS VZ249HE Ultra-Slim) to HDMI port in this adapter, there is no display.

When I plug this monitor directly into HDMI port in my laptop, it works, so HDMI cable and monitor are fine.

I thought that USB Hub is broken so I got second one, but still, no display on HDMI.

I tried updating drivers, not worked. 

I tried this hub on 3 different monitors, 2 hdmi cables, 2 laptops, but i can't get this working.

Windows updates also didn't worked. Currently I am on KB4497165.

 

I bought it to add second external monitor to my laptop, so using only HDMI port in my laptop isn't solution.

 

On screenshot below i marked this hub with yellow highlight, just to be sure that system "see" this device and usb-c port.

unknown.png

P.S. Sorry for bad grammar, as you can see on screenshot, english is not my main language. If something is not clear, I will try to explain it better or provide more informations.

Looks like your laptop doesn't support video out over USB-C.

 

But according to the msi website your laptop has mini Display Port and HDMI so you could connect two monitors over these connectors.

  • CPU
    Intel i7-8700k
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Code
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz
  • GPU
    2x ASUS Strix 1080Ti OC
  • Case
    Fractal Design Define R6 Gunmetal TG
  • Storage
    250GB Samsung 960 EVO
    2x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO
    1TB Samsung 860 EVO
    2x 256 GB Samsung NVME SSD
  • PSU
    Corsair HX1000i
  • Display(s)
    Alienware AW3418DW 34" 21:9 1440p
  • Cooling
    Custom watercooling loop with 2x 360 Rad + 1x 560 Rad
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BetaEffect said:

Looks like your laptop doesn't support video out over USB-C.

 

But according to the msi website your laptop has mini Display Port and HDMI so you could connect two monitors over these connectors.

Is this possible? I read that USB 3.1 supports video out of USB-C which should switch to some "alternative mode"? Something like that is often mentioned on the web. I thought it depends on USB type (version) as a port not on specific usb-c hardware implementation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, SJantos said:

Is this possible? I read that USB 3.1 supports video out of USB-C which should switch to some "alternative mode"? Something like that is often mentioned on the web. I thought it depends on USB type (version) as a port not on specific usb-c hardware implementation.

USB-C is just the connector and can have a lot of different implementations (USB 2.0, USB 3.0, Thunderbolt 3, etc.).

So its up to the manufacturer what they implement in there hardware.

  • CPU
    Intel i7-8700k
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Code
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz
  • GPU
    2x ASUS Strix 1080Ti OC
  • Case
    Fractal Design Define R6 Gunmetal TG
  • Storage
    250GB Samsung 960 EVO
    2x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO
    1TB Samsung 860 EVO
    2x 256 GB Samsung NVME SSD
  • PSU
    Corsair HX1000i
  • Display(s)
    Alienware AW3418DW 34" 21:9 1440p
  • Cooling
    Custom watercooling loop with 2x 360 Rad + 1x 560 Rad
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×