Adapting a raidmax AIO into an open loop system

bazookapanda

So I have

An AIO (the pump in built into the rad) (It is out of the warranty period)                                                                                                                    

https://www.hd-tecnologia.com/review-raidmax-cobra-240/   (not the store page but this is it)

A reservoir                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32882867017.html?spm=2114.13010708.0.0.1b014c4dnY284c

A 360 mm Magicool radiator, it has copper fins and a brass chamber (didn't know I was going to get a name brand rad, so cool.)                       

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32898138403.html?spm=2114.13010708.0.0.1b014c4dnY284c

A CPU water block. I think its a Bykski (It has micro channels, no thin plate thing, the name escapes me)                                                           

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32844076651.html?spm=2114.13010708.0.0.1b014c4dnY284c

Tubes 

Fittings                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32899658588.html?spm=2114.13010708.0.0.1b014c4dnY284c

But I have no pump as it never arrived and they are quite expensive particularity in my currency and country, so I figured since if I joined them I'd have a dual rad loop and either use the existing water and add a little extra as it is appears to have a growth inhibitor so maybe it would be safe or  I could just replace the water and put in a biocide and a growth inhibitor, maybe throw in some silver for good measure and I wouldn't have any problems 

since the new rad has a brass chamber and its likely the one in the cobra is as well, ali express claims my new water block is copper but if i got enough chemicals would this be do-able. 

Not sure if the pump has enough juice 

Would appreciate some input about this projects feasibility.

Thing i'd be cautious of is that most of the time, AIO radiators are aluminum to make them more affordable. mixing copper, brass, and aluminum usually leads to corrosion. Another issue would be pump strength. It might be strong enough to move fluid through 2 radiators, but again, aren't usually designed to that.

I think it would be a fun project to try, but your results may vary. I'm not familiar with that AIO, but 3500rpm pump might be able to pass through 2 radiators and a cpu block. AIO fluid mixtures are designed to slow galvanic corrosion, but it's almost inevitable over time. If you could recreate it, you might get a few years of good diy loop

8 hours ago, Derrk said:

Thing i'd be cautious of is that most of the time, AIO radiators are aluminum to make them more affordable. mixing copper, brass, and aluminum usually leads to corrosion. Another issue would be pump strength. It might be strong enough to move fluid through 2 radiators, but again, aren't usually designed to that.

I think it would be a fun project to try, but your results may vary. I'm not familiar with that AIO, but 3500rpm pump might be able to pass through 2 radiators and a cpu block. AIO fluid mixtures are designed to slow galvanic corrosion, but it's almost inevitable over time. If you could recreate it, you might get a few years of good diy loop

Interesting.

I did some diging, haven't confirmed the rpm, I have seen conflicting information but ive seen packaging state that it is 3200 RPM.

its also not too common and there is 2 versions (mines the metal cpu block version)

also I kinda wanted to stack these radiators (I have the Lian Li 301 white) so I wanted to stack them on the top mount 

(drawing air in trough the rear vent giving the back where my hdd is mounted providing some air flow) 

so they would be above the block and res and probably going out the block trough the 240 pushed trough the 360 down into the the res back into the block

I think If I gave it some good airflow this could work nicely 

tricky job for sure but I could always reverse the job (I would test this outside the case first) and find a pump another pump

As for the mixed metals, could be a problem but I'm pretty sure the rad is aluminum and the block is already copper so maybe changing to a different "red copper" (according to the product page) block might not be the worst thing.

However this arrangement would introduce brass but i have this idea that I read or heard somewhere that brass doesn't corrode not sure if that's accurate but its a bonus.

10 hours ago, bazookapanda said:

I did some diging, haven't confirmed the rpm, I have seen conflicting information but ive seen packaging state that it is 3200 RPM.

yea, im unfamiliar with that AIO, but the url you posted said 3500rpm.. each element you add to the loop will add resistance, so even adding a reservoir could be a hindrance.  

also I kinda wanted to stack these radiators (I have the Lian Li 301 white) so I wanted to stack them on the top mount 

(drawing air in trough the rear vent giving the back where my hdd is mounted providing some air flow) 

stacking is fine. its not recommended (for some reason), but any temp difference will be marginal so long as they aren't choked

tricky job for sure but I could always reverse the job (I would test this outside the case first) and find a pump another pump

reversing it might be tricky. keep in mind, with most AIOs, regular compression fittings won't fit. you'll usually need to use a barbed fitting. its not the trickiest thing in the world, just a heads up.

As for the mixed metals, could be a problem but I'm pretty sure the rad is aluminum and the block is already copper so maybe changing to a different "red copper" (according to the product page) block might not be the worst thing.

However this arrangement would introduce brass but i have this idea that I read or heard somewhere that brass doesn't corrode not sure if that's accurate but its a bonus.

as far as corrosion, aluminum doesn't get along nicely with either copper or brass. But, copper, brass, and nickel work well together. It would be worth looking up what kind of mixtures AIOs use to slow down corrosion (i dont know off the top of my head).  I think there are a couple youtube videos on how AIOs are able to get away with mixing copper and aluminum.

Good luck! :)

Yes I defiantly am going to get some inhibitors and the like.

I might update this post in 6 months or so as to the state of the loop 

also i'll try make a post before I introduce the chemicals as to the state of the loop as it is currently filled with regular chlorinated tap water ( I'm just awful 😂)

I know it not perfect especially because

I don't actually have 3 more fans for the front rad only the two that came with the AIO 

The aluminum rad 

tap water 😂

no biocide, growth inhibitor  or a kill coil (working on finding a bit of silver till I can find the required chemicals.

poor flow rate (air and water) I mean it’s a reasonable trickle but I’m thinking I can modify this small pond pump I have it has a fat boy dc jack thin (I’m too lazy to look the name up)

but if it not better its the same, temps wise. but max temps may be lower, ill try run a longer test to see if that change thing. 

no leaks (some how...)

here’s a vid

it sort of trickles down the side but it also done that completely covering the walls and just pouring in there

the pipes on the back are connected with hose clamps, pretty sure it’s sealed but the barns are also bear aluminum 😂