Is now a good time to buy a gtx 1080 ti or wait?

Thekeegi

I currently have a gt 1030, but it is not gonna handle some games and tasks i want to do. 

Is now a good time to get a 1080ti or should i wait for ampere, and the price reductions that it will bring to turing?

nothing is a given, but if you have time waiting is almost always better (for new releases ofcourse)

But then the question comes, how long you gonna wait? 2 months, 5 years? eventually everything will become cheaper ofcourse.

p.s. you referring to turing, but 1080 is still pascal?

Gamesystem: X3700, 32GB memory @3200mhz, GTX1080 Hybrid

Unraid system: Epyc 7352, 24/48, 96GB ECC buffered @2666mhz, 2x GT710, GTX1050Ti

If you found a bargain deal, go for it.

When Ampere releases there'll be little to no reason to go with a Turing card, if the rumours/leaks are anything to go by.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Wait for the virus to die down, a lot of people are working from home being bored so lots of sellers are overcharging for parts because people are buying/ upgrading their PC's to game on.

1080Ti is still 3rd best card, performance wise, you can get. Question is where you want to get it from, as those are out of production and buying used one often means it was used for mining, which has definitely taken its toll on it so you need to be careful with the purchase.

I highly doubt the price will lower dramatically after new cards are released. I waited almost half a year for Zen2 processors to see how the market response will be and it wasn't worth the wait time. In your case 1080Ti's are old enough now that I don't expect any changes at all, especially as it's a second hand market.

Long story short, if you have a buck for it and it's a verified source, then just go for it.

At this point I wouldn't. Newer graphics cards will come with better suited drivers for new games. So even though a 1080 Ti will on paper out perform a lower tier new graphics card, performance ingame might be such that you are not getting your worth out of it.

Also, going from a 1030 to a 1080 Ti is a very hefty upgrade. You have to consider if your CPU is up to that, as well as your PSU. Newer, lower tier cards are likely to draw less power than the 1080 Ti.

Checking a second hand site for Belgium, I noticed 1080 Ti's are still going for 400 euro's. For that money it is likely Ampere will give you a better card.

44 minutes ago, Thekeegi said:

I currently have a gt 1030, but it is not gonna handle some games and tasks i want to do. 

Is now a good time to get a 1080ti or should i wait for ampere, and the price reductions that it will bring to turing?

im assuming youre talking about the used market. for some reason 1080 ti's are still very overpriced. 2070 super can sometimes be had cheaper. but overall i would wait for ampere and see how the market reacts.

40 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

1080 Tis are ancient, wait for now

:D that hurts man.  

13 minutes ago, Soag said:

1080Ti is still 2nd best card, performance wise, you can get.

well that depends on the card / cooler and cooling in generell. yes mine is beasting now that i watercooled it but with that stock cooler its not only loud but you wont win any prices with its performance either compared to other options out there

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3