CS:GO on 16" MacBook Pro

BrowneyLTT

The title is pretty self-explanatory. I am going to travel a lot in the next few years, and am going to buy a Macbook Pro 16". The only game I play at the moment is CSGO. Here are the specs.

i9, 8 cores, 2.4 GHz.

32gb Ram

And Radeon 5500M 8gb GDDR6.

6 minutes ago, BrowneyLTT said:

The title is pretty self-explanatory. I am going to travel a lot in the next few years, and am going to buy a Macbook Pro 16". The only game I play at the moment is CSGO. Here are the specs.

i9, 8 cores, 2.4 GHz.

32gb Ram

It could run, but definitely not at native resolution. You would have to drop if go 1080p in order for it not to be a slide show. You will also need a dongle to get a normal mouse plugged in. Not sure about thermals, but I suspect any really long gaming sessions would be out of the question. 

why spend 3.5k on a laptop?

what is your reason for a mac here?

you likely can run it at full res just not a high framerate

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

26 minutes ago, BrowneyLTT said:

i9, 8 cores, 2.4 GHz.

32gb Ram

I used to play csgo in a 2015 iMac (lowest spec) with frame rates that were definitely playable. So if you’re already getting the laptop for other purposes and this is just an added benefit, then you’re good. If you are buying this laptop for gaming, then go windows. 

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

1 hour ago, Konrad_K said:

It could run, but definitely not at native resolution. You would have to drop if go 1080p in order for it not to be a slide show. You will also need a dongle to get a normal mouse plugged in. Not sure about thermals, but I suspect any really long gaming sessions would be out of the question. 

I suspect it will get 100+ frames per second at the displays native resolution.  The thing will get mighty warm, so I wouldn't want to play with it actually on my lap, but it should be fine.

edit: I just booted into CS GO running an i5 8400, an RX590, and 16gb of RAM and was between 95 and 130 fps running at 4k resolution.

2 hours ago, zeusthemoose said:

I used to play csgo in a 2015 iMac (lowest spec) with frame rates that were definitely playable. So if you’re already getting the laptop for other purposes and this is just an added benefit, then you’re good. If you are buying this laptop for gaming, then go windows. 

Tbf you can play CSGO on it fine and you don’t have to deal with windows which is always a plus 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?