how do i recover an unsaved notepad text file.

solidcrazyy
  1. Open the Start menu.
  2. Type %AppData%
  3. Click “Enter” to direct to "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming"
  4. Use the search box to locate all "*.txt" files. Select the text file you want to recover and copy it to a different location.

11 hours ago, solidcrazyy said:

what are unnamed text files call?

"Untitled" I think

Notepad does not save anything to disk unless you told it to.  When a file is opened, its contents is loaded into to memory, any edits you do is only affecting the memory. The changes get written to disk when you save the file.

16 hours ago, Malymole said:
  1. Open the Start menu.
  2. Type %AppData%
  3. Click “Enter” to direct to "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming"
  4. Use the search box to locate all "*.txt" files. Select the text file you want to recover and copy it to a different location.

While Roaming is the folder where most software save their config files, Local and LocalLow are the places where temp files and cache is stored. If its stored. Default Notepad software doesn't save temps to drive. So nope on those.

@solidcrazyy, you are on losing side with that one. In future, you should move into using advanced text editors. Not talking about Word or those, but Notepad++ and like. Notepad++ saves  changes to temp files as long as file is open. If file isn't saved, and is changed by another software, it asks if you want to use newer version or not. This gives you option to save current as copy to another file.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

@LogicalDrm thank you for tell me this, now i can stop spinning my wheels trying to do as thing a can't do.