Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do I need a SSD with my m.2 or a regular hard rice 3.5in

Leo03619

That motherboard is very excessive for that build. Why do you want that one?

You can also get a M.2 SSD for cheaper, and it's way faster, and easier to use.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

I would have recommended a SATA ssd, and then accelerate that with an optane drive. Well.. too late now i guess :(

2 minutes ago, Malymole said:

I would have recommended a SATA ssd, and then accelerate that with an optane drive. Well.. too late now i guess :(

Just curious why? The optane drive adds complexity with very little speed benfit.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Just curious why? The optane drive adds complexity with very little speed benfit.

Optane SSDs are very cheap. I bought mine for less than £10! The performance boost isnt as small as you think. It doesnt really improve write speeds, but it increased read speeds dramatically. I tested it out before and after. Before I got 300MB/s, after I was getting speeds of over 1GB/s!!!!!!

Just now, Malymole said:

Optane SSDs are very cheap. I bought mine for less than £10! The performance boost isnt as small as you think. It doesnt really improve write speeds, but it increased read speeds dramatically. I tested it out before and after. Before I got 300MB/s, after I was getting speeds of over 1GB/s!!!!!!

I got about 3 of those 16gb sticks laying around for about that price. I have played around with optane caching and found it to not make a difference on ssds that is noticable

Where are you seeing these speeds, what workloads, what queue depth?

Under real world tests, the differnce will be much sma..er

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

I got about 3 of those 16gb sticks laying around for about that price. I have played around with optane caching and found it to not make a difference on ssds that is noticable

Where are you seeing these speeds, what workloads, what queue depth?

Under real world tests, the differnce will be much sma..er

I used CrystalDiskMark 6

Just now, Malymole said:

I used CrystalDiskMark 6

Does it make app and game load times faster?

The optane cache software will keep the benchmark in the cache, so its not a great way to measue performance of cache.

Does it make app and game load times faster?

The optane cache software will keep the benchmark in the cache, so its not a great way to measue performance of cache.

Well obviously if the games are going to be in the cache, then they will load much faster

1 minute ago, Malymole said:

Well obviously if the games are going to be in the cache, then they will load much faster

Yea, but are the games in the cache? Those optane m.2 drives are way to small to fit a full game library.

Yea, but are the games in the cache? Those optane m.2 drives are way to small to fit a full game library.

Yes, the whole game is obviously not gonna all fit in the cache, but that's basically saying whats the point of accelerating hard drives if its not gonna fit in

Just now, Malymole said:

Yes, the whole game is obviously not gonna all fit in the cache, but that's basically saying whats the point of accelerating hard drives if its not gonna fit in

but this is talking about using optane caching for ssds, so the optane isn't that much faster than the ssd. 

but this is talking about using optane caching for ssds, so the optane isn't that much faster than the ssd. 

Dude they have write speeds of up to 2GB/s and read speeds of 2.5GB/s. I dont think that any regular SSD is gonna get close to that, even theoretical speeds

Just now, Malymole said:

Dude they have write speeds of up to 2GB/s and read speeds of 2.5GB/s. I dont think that any regular SSD is gonna get close to that, even theoretical speeds

A nand ssd can easily hit higher speeds than that in seqentical speeds, like the drive op listed gets about 3500gB/s read

ALso there is way more to disk performance than sequentical speeds

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

A nand ssd can easily hit higher speeds than that in seqentical speeds, like the drive op listed gets about 3500gB/s read

ALso there is way more to disk performance than sequentical speeds

Thats why I said with a SATA ssd... Those speeds are clearly from nvme SSDs. Its about the speed-to-price ratio, not how fast can SSDs get

Just now, Malymole said:

Thats why I said with a SATA ssd... Its about the speed-to-price ratio, not how fast can storage get

but in normal usage you won't notice the difference between a sata ssd and a pcie one. Most workloads don't care about the extra speed.

Also adding the optane cache won't make the drive that fast, there are still a good amount of cache misses

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

but in normal usage you won't notice the difference between a sata ssd and a pcie one. Most workloads don't care about the extra speed.

Also adding the optane cache won't make the drive that fast, there are still a good amount of cache misses

Saying that means this whole conversation is for nothing. Everything that you and I have talked about is related to speed