How to setup a fan curve

EthanEdwards
Go to solution Solved by Demonic Donut,

I start by figuring out how noisy my fans are at certain speeds. For me, 50% is basically silent. So that's my baseline. Then I figure out how loud I find my fans to be tolerable. About 75% for me before they start to get "loud" by my standards. This is my "max speed" at comfortable temps. Then I scale up to 100% at a temp I consider too high.

So for me, fans are all bound to CPU temps. My GPU doesn't see more than 3 degrees of Delta from 50% case fan speed up to 100% anyway. So I run 50% up to 50C, then they increase up to 75% at 60C, then by 80C they are at 100%. But while gaming my CPU never goes above 60C, usually mid 50's. I prefer linear curves, and not stepping for fan speed. Major steps up/down in speed are annoying.

To be honest, unless you want to try to get as quiet as possible, just find the speed you find your fans tolerable and set it there all the time. Only going higher if temps get sketchy.

I have an MSI x570-A PRO and I'm wondering how I can setup a custom fan curve, my old b450m-a/csm from asus that dies controlled my fans and my new MSI board doesn't make a fan curve automatically. I need to know how to setup a fan curve so that I don't hear it all night.

You get an owners manual for a reason, it would be a good idea to read through it. To change the fan curve, enter bios, then click on hardware monitor. You should be able to change the fan curve on that screen. 

I start by figuring out how noisy my fans are at certain speeds. For me, 50% is basically silent. So that's my baseline. Then I figure out how loud I find my fans to be tolerable. About 75% for me before they start to get "loud" by my standards. This is my "max speed" at comfortable temps. Then I scale up to 100% at a temp I consider too high.

So for me, fans are all bound to CPU temps. My GPU doesn't see more than 3 degrees of Delta from 50% case fan speed up to 100% anyway. So I run 50% up to 50C, then they increase up to 75% at 60C, then by 80C they are at 100%. But while gaming my CPU never goes above 60C, usually mid 50's. I prefer linear curves, and not stepping for fan speed. Major steps up/down in speed are annoying.

To be honest, unless you want to try to get as quiet as possible, just find the speed you find your fans tolerable and set it there all the time. Only going higher if temps get sketchy.

11 hours ago, ethanedwards107 said:

I have an MSI x570-A PRO and I'm wondering how I can setup a custom fan curve, my old b450m-a/csm from asus that dies controlled my fans and my new MSI board doesn't make a fan curve automatically. I need to know how to setup a fan curve so that I don't hear it all night.

I use speed fan its pretty easy to set up. here's a how to video that I used