Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Windows 10 Crashes after connecting to Internet

Go to solution Solved by Carlincf,
1 hour ago, MattFiddaman said:

Perfect, lemme know how it goes 

I couldn't wait until after work because this has been driving me a bit crazy lol. But I figured it out!

I switched the card out and had the same issue, so I did some more googling and eventually found a thread on Tom's Hardware where someone was having a similar issue. Their solution was to set the PCIE slot to Gen 2 instead of Gen 3. I did the same thing and it worked! Windows is stable, I manually updated the drivers for my 2070 successfully, and reconnected to the internet. Everything seems to be working fine now, although I will have to do some research and determine why my PCIE slot is behaving oddly.

For posterity:

My original problem was a fresh install of Windows 10 crashing within minutes of connecting to the internet. Following everyone's advice here, I was able to track the problem to the graphics card driver. After testing multiple cards and still observing the issue, I determined the problem may be with the PCIE slot. Rolling the PCIE slot back to Gen 2 solved the issue.

Hey guys! I'm about at my wits end here and would appreciate your help.

I have a PC that I recently updated the GPU on and installed a new M.2 SSD. I wanted to install Windows on this new drive, so I used my Windows 10 installation USB to format my old driver and install a fresh version of Windows on my new drive. I am now met with the following issue:

When I complete the installation process entirely offline, I have no trouble. I can log into a local account, I can restart the computer and boot perfectly fine. However, once I connect an ethernet cable and establish a wired internet connection, the system crashes after a few minutes and it is not recoverable. If I try to restart the system, it boots and then attempts to load Windows to a black screen that is unresponsive. I have to install windows again (offline) in order to access the system.

I have let the system idle in the Bios and in offline Windows for nearly an hour without any issues, so I do not think it is an issue of incompatible hardware or overheating. 

Any ideas what could be causing my issue, and how I can resolve it? I'll try to provide as much detail as possible. Thank you all in advance!

Can you make sure all drivers are installed?

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

If your system crashes after you plug in lan cable, then something is wrong with hardware or driver. There is no third reason. Check your lan port (physically) - maybe something makes short circuit when you plug lan cable.

Made photo of your lan port.

Hi

Just a suggestion..

Connect you cable , do not plug you modem. and see if comp still work. 

It's possible you may have a defective modem. Just your luck, that is cashed, at the same time you upgraded. 

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've attached an image of the ethernet port in question, as well as the cable. I am going to try to install windows with the cable plugged in and the modem turned off to see if there is a short circuit to blame.

Regarding drivers, that was my first thought as well: that once the system is connected to the internet, it installs a driver that causes the crash. Unfortunately, I don't know how to check this. Can somebody please tell me how I should go about finding and installing my drivers in a controlled way? I do have access to another laptop.

20200519_213312.jpg

15899384992304103051720433074568.jpg

Okay, progress!

I have run the installation process with the lan cable plug into the PC and the modem turned off - no issues. I then disabled the lan port and plugged in the modem - no issues. I then enabled the lan port, saw a spike in taks manager associated with installing drivers, and then a crash.

So it is definitely a driver issue. Once I established an internet connection, Windows automatically downloads a driver that crashes my PC and makes Windows unrecoverable. 

I don't really know where to go from here, and would appreciate some advice. I feel a bit better knowing for certain what the problem is, at least. 

17 minutes ago, Carlincf said:

Okay, progress!

I have run the installation process with the lan cable plug into the PC and the modem turned off - no issues. I then disabled the lan port and plugged in the modem - no issues. I then enabled the lan port, saw a spike in taks manager associated with installing drivers, and then a crash.

So it is definitely a driver issue. Once I established an internet connection, Windows automatically downloads a driver that crashes my PC and makes Windows unrecoverable. 

I don't really know where to go from here, and would appreciate some advice. I feel a bit better knowing for certain what the problem is, at least. 

You said you have a laptop? Can you download the relevant driver for your MB on that, shove it on a USB stick and try to run it in windows offline?

Main System:

Ryzen 2700X | ASUS STRIX RX 580 8GB | ASUS STRIX B450-F | ADATA GAMMIX ZPG 256GB NVME SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD | Phanteks P400A Black | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 3200 MHZ (yes I'm an idiot I know) | 6 x DEEPCOOL RF120 | Thermaltake 750W RGB PSU | G502 Proteus Spektrum

Just now, MattFiddaman said:

You said you have a laptop? Can you download the relevant driver for your MB on that, shove it on a USB stick and try to run it in windows offline?

I can, I just don't know which driver to begin with. Probably the display?

Just now, Carlincf said:

I can, I just don't know which driver to begin with. Probably the display?

What motherboard do you have? Look ASUS to me?

Main System:

Ryzen 2700X | ASUS STRIX RX 580 8GB | ASUS STRIX B450-F | ADATA GAMMIX ZPG 256GB NVME SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD | Phanteks P400A Black | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 3200 MHZ (yes I'm an idiot I know) | 6 x DEEPCOOL RF120 | Thermaltake 750W RGB PSU | G502 Proteus Spektrum

Just now, MattFiddaman said:

What motherboard do you have? Look ASUS to me?

ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming

Just now, Carlincf said:

ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming

Try this one first I think, https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/04LAN/DRV_LAN_Intel_I211_UWD_TP_W10_64_VER12151841_20190306R.zip

It's the LAN driver :)

Main System:

2 minutes ago, Carlincf said:

Thank you, I'll try this asap!

NW let me know how it goes :)

Main System:

More progress!

I installed all the motherboard drivers as suggested without any issues. Then, when I installed the NVIDIA drivers for my RTX 2070, it crashed to black! So I feel confident that it is my gpu drivers that are crashing my system. 

I guess my next steps are to try an older gpu driver, or check my gpu warranty and see if I can get a replacement.

Try that lan driver.

And disable auto driver update in system.

8 hours ago, Carlincf said:

More progress!

I installed all the motherboard drivers as suggested without any issues. Then, when I installed the NVIDIA drivers for my RTX 2070, it crashed to black! So I feel confident that it is my gpu drivers that are crashing my system. 

I guess my next steps are to try an older gpu driver, or check my gpu warranty and see if I can get a replacement.

Did you say you upgraded the graphics card recently? if you still have the old card, maybe try swapping it and reinstalling windows, if the error persists you know it's not a graphics card issue, otherwise, you've found your problem

Main System:

5 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Try that lan driver.

And disable auto driver update in system.

I installed the lan driver, along with the other mobo drivers, and everything was fine. I experienced the crash again when I installed the latest 2070 driver.

36 minutes ago, MattFiddaman said:

Did you say you upgraded the graphics card recently? if you still have the old card, maybe try swapping it and reinstalling windows, if the error persists you know it's not a graphics card issue, otherwise, you've found your problem

That's my plan this afternoon after work!

@Carlincf

That's my plan this afternoon after work!

Main System:

1 hour ago, MattFiddaman said:

I couldn't wait until after work because this has been driving me a bit crazy lol. But I figured it out!

I switched the card out and had the same issue, so I did some more googling and eventually found a thread on Tom's Hardware where someone was having a similar issue. Their solution was to set the PCIE slot to Gen 2 instead of Gen 3. I did the same thing and it worked! Windows is stable, I manually updated the drivers for my 2070 successfully, and reconnected to the internet. Everything seems to be working fine now, although I will have to do some research and determine why my PCIE slot is behaving oddly.

For posterity:

My original problem was a fresh install of Windows 10 crashing within minutes of connecting to the internet. Following everyone's advice here, I was able to track the problem to the graphics card driver. After testing multiple cards and still observing the issue, I determined the problem may be with the PCIE slot. Rolling the PCIE slot back to Gen 2 solved the issue.

2 hours ago, Carlincf said:

For posterity:

Glad you've narrowed it down man :). What CPU do you have just out of interest?

Main System:

50 minutes ago, MattFiddaman said:

Glad you've narrowed it down man :). What CPU do you have just out of interest?

Ryzen 5 2600, I have it OC'd to 4.075 ghz. I just can't quite get my chip to be stable at 4.1 lol.

Thanks for all the help, I feel so much better now that I have stability, even with PCIe Gen 2. A little bit of digging tells me I shouldn't see a major impact to gaming, and I'm filing a warranty claim with ASUS for the faulty slot. Since I've been working from home, having my PC become unusable with such odd behavior was a huge stressor. 

14 minutes ago, Carlincf said:

Ryzen 5 2600, I have it OC'd to 4.075 ghz. I just can't quite get my chip to be stable at 4.1 lol.

Thanks for all the help, I feel so much better now that I have stability, even with PCIe Gen 2. A little bit of digging tells me I shouldn't see a major impact to gaming, and I'm filing a warranty claim with ASUS for the faulty slot. Since I've been working from home, having my PC become unusable with such odd behavior was a huge stressor. 

Perhaps bump the voltage up a tiny little bit 😉

Nw glad that we could all help, can imagine it wouldn't help if you're working from home haha

Main System:

6 minutes ago, MattFiddaman said:

Perhaps bump the voltage up a tiny little bit 😉

Nw glad that we could all help, can imagine it wouldn't help if you're working from home haha

I have it at 1.4 volts rn, I'm weary about going higher for the long term health of the chip. Once I get over this little hiccup, maybe I'll feel comfortable pushing it further again!

21 minutes ago, Carlincf said:

I have it at 1.4 volts rn, I'm weary about going higher for the long term health of the chip. Once I get over this little hiccup, maybe I'll feel comfortable pushing it further again!

Do whatever you're comfortable with, better a few megahertz slower than dead haha

Main System:

Disabling OC and test then should be your first action. You should be sure that it's not bad oc. Stable means stable - if you can't even run installer, try stock speed first.