Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi

I built a gaming rig recently and I'm stuck near the router in my living room and I'd like to move it to my room, so I'll need wifi, I don't wanna go over the hassle and get a 30m ethernet cable and try to route it, probably would be too messy.

I currently have 3 free pci slots one is 16x , maybe a pci wifi card? or a usb one?

thanks in advance

Link to post
Share on other sites

tp-link AX3000 is the best one i found. includes wi-fi 6, and bluetooth 5.0

 

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're looking for a cheaper, but still really good quality, TP-Link Archer T3U AC1300 MU-MIMO USB 3.0 WiFi Adapter would be a good option. I don't think you need a proper router, and I game with this specific dongle with no issues

Link to post
Share on other sites

im pretty sure usb wifi is slower than pci wifi 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jae Tee said:

tp-link AX3000 is the best one i found. includes wi-fi 6, and bluetooth 5.0

 

but this is a router I'm looking for a PCI card to put in the motherboard so I can have wifi on my PC I already have a decent router.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Malymole said:

If you're looking for a cheaper, but still really good quality, TP-Link Archer T3U AC1300 MU-MIMO USB 3.0 WiFi Adapter would be a good option. I don't think you need a proper router, and I game with this specific dongle with no issues

yea but I thought I'd make use of the PCI slot since PCI 'should" be better than usb wifi since its directly linked to the mobo and has more connections , and possibly better hidden antennas.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bruh1 said:

yea but I thought I'd make use of the PCI slot since PCI 'should" be better than usb wifi since its directly linked to the mobo and has more connections , and possibly better hidden antennas.

1 hour ago, limeington said:

im pretty sure usb wifi is slower than pci wifi 

 

It's cheaper, and for gaming you don't really need speedy wifi, as the most important factor is ping. This USB adaptor is more than capable of running the maximum wifi speeds of a regular household, and has a very good ping rate, and high speed pci network cards are usually used for transferring data locally, not from your network provider

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bruh1 said:

but this is a router I'm looking for a PCI card to put in the motherboard so I can have wifi on my PC I already have a decent router.

Bruh...

20200519_203319.jpg

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Malymole said:

It's cheaper, and for gaming you don't really need speedy wifi, as the most important factor is ping. This USB adaptor is more than capable of running the maximum wifi speeds of a regular household, and has a very good ping rate, and high speed pci network cards are usually used for transferring data locally, not from your network provider

Just no. 

 

USB networking products have a tendency to be slower and have poor cooling. They tend to overheat and stop working after a while. PCIe cards tend to be faster and in some instances have better range. Also PCIe cards from my expirence are more reliable. Ping has nothing to do with PCIe vs USB. Ping has to deal with how congested the airwaves are and how much crap the WiFi signal has to travel thru. 

 

3 hours ago, Bruh1 said:

currently have 3 free pci slots one is 16x

Id go PCIe. Look for a wireless AC (WiFi 5) card or greater. Id probably suggest using something like WiFi analzyer on your phone to check the airwaves and check the signal at the location your trying to install the computer first. As long as you have decent signal and the airwaves are not too congested you should be fine on most games. Competitive FPS's might be a challenge because the fact is WiFi has higher latency and there is nothing you can do about that. 

Was there dairy in that? ***30 min later**** Yep..... You might want to let it air out for a bit.....😂😂😂😂😂😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jae Tee said:

Bruh...

20200519_203319.jpg

Bruh , I looked it up on google and it kept showing me Routers xD , my bad.

Edit: does my router it self have to support wifi 6 to make use of it or just the card? I think it should be both?

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Bruh1 said:

I don't wanna go over the hassle and get a 30m ethernet cable and try to route it, probably would be too messy.

This is not the time to be lazy. Invest some effort now and you'll save yourself loads of time, effort and frustration in the long run; sure it may take a day to set up and require some drilling in a ceiling or whatever but it's going to be worth it in the end.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2020 at 3:54 PM, akio123008 said:

This is not the time to be lazy. Invest some effort now and you'll save yourself loads of time, effort and frustration in the long run; sure it may take a day to set up and require some drilling in a ceiling or whatever but it's going to be worth it in the end.

its not really all about lazniess but mainly cause my apartment is rented so I don't really feel comfortable drilling that many holes to route a cable across the thing , but i don't know.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×