Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

9900k stress tests(prime95 and OCCT) yield very high temperatures

So I recently built a pc with a 9900k and the new Corsair RGB Pro XT 280mm AIO. And I was immensely surprised when I did a power test in OCCT and SMALL FTTS in prime95 when it was get as high as 98c after just a couple minutes. I ran the blend test in prime95 and it yielded a 70C maximum temperature along with a 60C average. In aida64(CPU + FPU+ Cache) temperatures hung around the low 70s-80s but were no where near what they were in Prime95 and OCCT. I made sure my pump was working and radiator fans and they both work nicely. My idle temperatures are usually in the mid 30s so I do not know why my cpu ran this hot. Is the 9900k really this hot? Or do I have a problem on my hands?

Yes it's normal for the 9900K to be that hot. Small FFTs will make any modern CPU sweat...

3 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

Yes it's normal for the 9900K to be that hot. Small FFTs will make any modern CPU sweat...

I heard that a chip hitting 98c is not very good for it? Do you think I have reduced the life span by a substantial margin? Or when people say its not good for a chip to hit 98c do they mean for it to constantly run at temperatures like that?

1 minute ago, YuppityYap said:

I heard that a chip hitting 98c is not very good for it? Do you think I have reduced the life span by a substantial margin? Or when people say its not good for a chip to hit 98c do they mean for it to constantly run at temperatures like that?

It's not ideal, but for that short amount of time it's fine.

Prime95 isn't a realistic test if you're trying to figure out everyday usage. Try Aida64.

people should stop using prime95, it heats up Cpu unlike anything

1 hour ago, YuppityYap said:

So I recently built a pc with a 9900k and the new Corsair RGB Pro XT 280mm AIO. And I was immensely surprised when I did a power test in OCCT and SMALL FTTS in prime95 when it was get as high as 98c after just a couple minutes. I ran the blend test in prime95 and it yielded a 70C maximum temperature along with a 60C average. In aida64(CPU + FPU+ Cache) temperatures hung around the low 70s-80s but were no where near what they were in Prime95 and OCCT. I made sure my pump was working and radiator fans and they both work nicely. My idle temperatures are usually in the mid 30s so I do not know why my cpu ran this hot. Is the 9900k really this hot? Or do I have a problem on my hands?

You should visit the prime95 forums and learn about how small FFT works.

Small FFT does the calculations *entirely* in the CPU caches, without waiting for the CPU to access system RAM.  That's why it runs so hot.  The CPU doesn't have a chance to cool down.

Higher FFT sizes (>192K) access system RAM, which is much slower than the L1 or L2 or L3 caches, which is why the CPU runs cooler.

Programs that run entirely within the cache, doing repeated math calculations without accesing main memory is not standard operation

2 hours ago, YuppityYap said:

Is the 9900k really this hot? Or do I have a problem on my hands?

Yes, it's that hot..... lol

Like the 2 heaviest CPU nut punchers you could stress test with. 

Then....

Your processor screams. 

It screams build a Custom Loop!!!

Assuming (which I shouldn't) that you want to actually overclock.

- If it ain't broken, don't fix it! - - Your post codes and beep codes in the drop down below -

Competitive Benching Team - Warp9-Systems 

Save the old OC forums just by reading old school tec

https://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/index.php

They have the best F@H stats too. 

Spoiler

2 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Yes, it's that hot..... lol

Like the 2 heaviest CPU nut punchers you could stress test with. 

Then....

Your processor screams. 

It screams build a Custom Loop!!!

Assuming (which I shouldn't) that you want to actually overclock.

Thats on my bucket list. Once I get free of my immense college debt I think I'll look into making a custom loop

1 minute ago, YuppityYap said:

Thats on my bucket list. Once I get free of my immense college debt I think I'll look into making a custom loop

That debt ain't shit. Wait till you have kids. XD

My only advice is to invest in a full copper waterblock.  

- If it ain't broken, don't fix it! - - Your post codes and beep codes in the drop down below -

Competitive Benching Team - Warp9-Systems 

Save the old OC forums just by reading old school tec

https://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/index.php

They have the best F@H stats too. 

Spoiler