Choosing a USB Type-C PCIe Card and Hub

Linkolinx

Hello, not sure if i'm in the right spot for this (Made an account years ago, first time on LTT Forum in WHILE)

So occasionaly I like to play games from my desktop on the TV in my livingroom so my gf can watch me play, the problem that I have to unplug all of my peripherals, ethernet, and my monitor, lug it into the livingroom, and plug in all of my stuff in there.

What I would like to do, is have a Type-C hub in each location and just plug all of my peripherals and display cable into that so that i only have 2 cables to worry about at each location: Power and the USB Hub.

I do not have any existing Type-C ports on my mobo or GPU so I would have to get a PCIe card.

My concern is that with my G810 Keyboard, G502 mouse, monitor, and ethernet, that whatever power the expansion card puts out won't be enough. Not to mention any possible latency that would introduce for my mouse and keyboard.

I already have a good idea of what kind of hub to get since Anker makes a few good ones like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Anker-Upgraded-Adapter-Ethernet-Pixelbook/dp/B07X8ZLYLR/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=anker+type+c+hub&qid=1589919088&sr=8-4

But i'm hoping someone here has some more experience with this so i can make a good choice regarding the expansion card

Thanks in Advance!

why?

The only cards with USB-C DisplayPort output AFAIK are RTX GPUs.  I'm not aware of any hubs confirmed to work with them though as I was looking into it myself to run my Rift S from a single cable solution.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

25 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

The only cards with USB-C DisplayPort output AFAIK are RTX GPUs

That's a bummer. Just upgraded to 1660 Super in march when the whole quarantine thing started so i don't really want to upgrade again :/

why?

2 minutes ago, Linkolinx said:

That's a bummer. Just upgraded to 1660 Super in march when the whole quarantine thing started so i don't really want to upgrade again :/

It does suck they didn't keep USB-C on the none-RTX cards, but they ARE budget cards after all so I guess cutbacks are expected.

Still seems rough as a 1660 should be fine for VR, which is what they added the USB-C for in the first place.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7