When downloading an .iso file it takes a long time to download despite fast internet connection.

Go to solution Solved by AbsoluteFool,
48 minutes ago, ComputerUser said:

I've decided against torrenting as I have looked up about it and I would rather not do it. But if any of you can help me more then I would greatly appreciate it if not don't worry about it.

Many Thanks,

ComputerUser

Well. I don't see why torrenting something that is accepted as a free ubuntu iso.

Anyways. Here are some basic info about download speeds.

1. Your computer & what it is doing at the time.

2. Your HDD/SSD and eventually any RAID configuration.

3. Any possible restrictions your ISP sets. (unlikely but i thought i'd mention it.)

4. Where the server you're downloading from is.

5. The connection of the server you are downloading from.

6. And also the drives of the server you are downloading from.

And a few other minor things.. But the basics is enough.

It's actually a very simple. You locate the weakest link and you got the problem.

So for example: If your iso download is slower than a game from steam. This is most likely something between 4 and 6.

To start off, I'm new here so if i make any mistake or forget to put something on here then please bare with me. I am happy for anyone to reply and if you need more information I don't mind giving it (reasonable information).

The problem I am having is that when I am downloading an .iso file (E.g. Ubuntu) it takes way to long than it should be. I can do an internet speed test before and during the download and I am getting 300+ megabits per second but when downloading the .iso file it's going up very slowly. For example, I have a Ubuntu .iso download downloading right now and it's 2.5 GB big and Chrome is saying it's going to take about an hour to download it and that time is fluctuating. Not only that but I am connected via Ethernet and during download task manager is saying that it's receiving 3.5 Mbps and only sometimes going above 10 Mbps. Web pages seem to load fast and snappy and I've tried to install other items like the Chrome Launcher to see if it's just my internet or the website and things like that seem to download fast and fine. Also, only a week or a few days ago I was trying to download a different .iso file from the Lenovo website and I was getting the same problem then. At that time, I just assumed it was the website and didn't think much of it but since it seems I'm getting the same problem again I think it's something to do with my PC. Any help would be much appreciated as I don't want to wait around for ages just download a .iso file.

I am using Google Chrome and I have the Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-LM if that's any help.

Many thanks in advance,

ComputerUser

Depends on where you are downloading it from. You should try downloading from a local mirror to see performance closer to the speed test. 

First thing I'd try is downloading from another server. The Ubuntu iso especially should have an option to download via torrent, which should be the fastest. You might just be bottlenecked by the server you're downloading from

I am based in the United Kingdom and I went on to the mirrors page on Ubuntu and I am downloading a mirror as I type. It does seem to be quite faster at the start of the download but sometimes it randomly just drops in speed as I am watching it on task manager. It seems to have just come to a halt when I have hit 1.1/2.5 GB.

On 5/19/2020 at 7:18 PM, ComputerUser said:

I am based in the United Kingdom and I went on to the mirrors page on Ubuntu and I am downloading a mirror as I type. It does seem to be quite faster at the start of the download but sometimes it randomly just drops in speed as I am watching it on task manager. It seems to have just come to a halt when I have hit 1.1/2.5 GB.

Is this same for all bigger files or just ISOs? Like if you download games from Steam and such, does it do same? Sounds more like internet provider issue than anything else. With Linux ISOs there usually is torrent option which would bypass any ISP set filter as its not downloading whole chunk as one, but smaller parts.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Thanks for the info,

Just downloading a game right now and I am getting high receive speed on task manger of 100+ Mbps but it's fluctuating massively. Still, it's an improvement than the .iso files. I will try the torrent option with Linux to see if it makes any difference.

29 minutes ago, ComputerUser said:

I will try the torrent option with Linux to see if it makes any difference.

I've decided against torrenting as I have looked up about it and I would rather not do it. But if any of you can help me more then I would greatly appreciate it if not don't worry about it.

Many Thanks,

ComputerUser

48 minutes ago, ComputerUser said:

Many Thanks,

ComputerUser

Well. I don't see why torrenting something that is accepted as a free ubuntu iso.

Anyways. Here are some basic info about download speeds.

1. Your computer & what it is doing at the time.

2. Your HDD/SSD and eventually any RAID configuration.

3. Any possible restrictions your ISP sets. (unlikely but i thought i'd mention it.)

4. Where the server you're downloading from is.

5. The connection of the server you are downloading from.

6. And also the drives of the server you are downloading from.

And a few other minor things.. But the basics is enough.

It's actually a very simple. You locate the weakest link and you got the problem.

So for example: If your iso download is slower than a game from steam. This is most likely something between 4 and 6.

Thanks for info and as I seem to have got the same problem when downloading an .iso file from Lenovo's website then I think it's something to do with my ISP or something local like my drives etc. I am going to mark the above as solved as I think it answer's my question and I might reconsider torrenting the Ubuntu .iso to see if it makes any difference. Many thanks to all who posted here to help me and thanks for the friendliness as well. I will come again if I need help to fix a different problem.

Kind Regards,

ComputerUser