Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

AMD listened.. again? Zen 3 support on B450/X470

this has been posted 4 times tdy :D

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

It's the best they can do, and it's somewhat sketchy so I can see why they didn't want to do this.

If you're upgrading from 2600 to Zen3, the BIOS update will likely remove compatibility for your 2600, so troubleshooting is harder because you only have one CPU that will work in the board, and users could get confused.

Additionally, if the BIOS update is downloaded by people who don't have a Zen3 CPU on hand, it basically bricks their system.

Removing Zen/Zen+ support from B450 is actually quite strange, since B450 launched alongside Zen+ so AMD is removing compatibility with the original CPUs the motherboard was meant to be used with.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Motherboard Tier LIst

PC Troubleshooting

PSU Tier List

You don't need a big PSU

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 512GB SSD - 16GB DDR4 - I lost my pen so I convince myself I don't need it

"Sometimes I just buy computer hardware with no practical use for it, maybe I'm weird"

-Galileo Galilei, 1604

10 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Unfortunately the consumer that knows how to flash a bios are mainly enthusiasts, not your average gamer hunting for that extra 10 frames in Minecraft or whatever game is popular today. Even with first-party utilities available, flashing BIOSes isn't for the faint hearted and board manufacturers know that. They always recommend people to not update unless it's absolutely necessary. 

Even though this is a nice gesture of them, it's still not a great experience. Cause you then have to wait a week or so for a CPU to be shipped to you, then even more if something goes wrong, etc. Consumers want stuff that works, not half baked like how things currently are.

Shit, the way you talk AMD should send a rep to your house and build your PC for you...

Seriously, if you're skilled enough to do a motherboard swap or build a PC then you're skilled enough to flash a BIOS. Literally all you do with modern motherboards is put the BIOS file on a USB, go into the UEFI and click the option that says "Update BIOS" and let it do its thing. The consumers that aren't skilled enough to do that aren't going to be skilled enough to actually build the computer and will pay someone else to do it for them.

@TheDailyProcrastinator

Thread merged.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

VPN server guide

Introduction to Mechanical Keyboard

Spoiler

My Gaming Rig - Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO CPU: i7-8700 RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400(4x8GB) GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB OS SSD: 240GB Avexir E100 Storage: 2x 1TB Seagate PSU: Seasonic G650 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bits Monitor: Acer 21in G205H + Lenovo 21in

Just now, wkdpaul said:

@TheDailyProcrastinator

Thread merged.

My bad missed this! Thanks!

AMD Motherboard Tier List  GPU Cooling Tier List  PSU Tier List  A Dive Into Custom Keyboards & Mechanical Switches

NEWCOMERS Remember to ' Reply ' to comments in order for people to see them, this is done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds:

MEGA Desk Build

Blueberry Pi  R9 3900XT  Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 4x16GB 3200MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB  EVGA 850W P2 W/ Blue Sleeved Cables  Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue)  Corsair ML Pro Blue LED Fans  Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower  

Asus ROG SWIFT PG348Q 100Hz IPS G-Sync UW  Dell UltraSharp U3419W 60Hz IPS UW  Custom TOFU96  Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB 

J.A.R.V.I.S.  R7 3800X  Asus B550-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX 8GB  Corsair SF 750W Platinum  Corsair H100i Pro AIO  Noctua NF-A12x15 Chromax Fans  FormD T1 SFF ITX Case  

LG 75UM8070PUA 4K UHD 120Hz IPS HDR TV  Corsair K63 Cherry MX Red Special Edition Wireless  Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless

2 Go  R3 2200G  Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 White  Vega Integrated Graphics  Seasonic Flex ATX 350W  Noctua NH-L9a  Geeek A30 V2 SFF ITX Case

Gaming PC  i7 6700k  Asus Z270-G Gaming Wi-Fi mATX  Corsair Vengeance LPX (White) 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16  Asus RX5700 Dual Evo OC 8GB  Corsair TXm 550W W/ White Sleeved Cables  Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L RGB AIO  DeepCool RF120 RGB Fans  Thermaltake Versa H18 TG mATX Case  

ViewSonic Elite XG240R 1ms 144Hz TN FreeSync  Logitech G610 Cherry MX Brown  UtechSmart Venus MMO w/ Omron Switches

SFF ITX Home PC  i5-7500  MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz  Intel Integrated Graphics  Seasonic SSP Flex ATX 300W PSU  Cryorig C7  Velka 3 rev 1.2 SFF ITX Case (Grey) 

Laptop  Dell XPS13 2-in-1 7390 (2020)  i7-1065G7  32GB 3733MHz LPDDR4x  Intel Integrated Graphics  1TB NVME M.2  UHD+ (3840 x 2400) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

Keyboard Collection  GMMK Full Size Hot Swap-able  TOFU96 90%  XD84 Pro 75%  Keycool KC84 75% Wireless RGB Hot Swap-able  KBD67v2 MKII 65% Hot Swap-able  KBD67 Lite 65% Hot Swap-able  OLKB Preonic V3 Ortholinear  Drop Carina 60% RGB Hot Swap-able  Southpaw75 60% W/ Left Numpad  Cospad XD24 Numpad

Mechanical Key Switch Collection  Zealios V2 65g  Zilents V2 67g  C³ Kiwi ‖ C³ Tangerine  Invyr Holy Panda  Kailh Box Thick Jades ‖ Kailh Box Royal ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Dark Yellow ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Burnt Orange  Kailh Box White  Kailh Box Red  Kailh Pro Purple  Kailh Pro Burgandy  Gateron Yellow  Gateron Black  Gateron Brown  Gateron Green  Gateron Blue ‖ Cherry MX Black ‖ Cherry MX Brown ‖ Cherry MX Red

Key Cap Collection  Star Wars GMK Boba Fett  GMK Red Samurai  GMK Laser CyberDeck  MaxKey B&W SA ‖ Matt3o MT3 /dev/tty  Drop Skylight Horizon ‖ Glorious Black Aura

1 hour ago, RadiatingLight said:

Removing Zen/Zen+ support from B450 is actually quite strange, since B450 launched alongside Zen+ so AMD is removing compatibility with the original CPUs the motherboard was meant to be used with.

Isn't strange at all. Small BIOS chips and huge changes of CPU and BIOS code means they need to cut compatibility.

A lot of people(not saying you specifically) I've seen on Reddit and this forum don't seem to believe AMD when AMD said it's a technical limitation/issue. AMD just wanted to be able to provide support for original Ryzen CPUs and some newer(Zen3), but allowing Zen4 to be added now means they need to cut the slack because there's just too much new code in the BIOS and it all can't be stored correctly.

It sucks that this has to be done, but AMD was playing it safe at first and now that they know the community doesn't care about compatibility, then AMD doesn't care about compatibility either now, but they still want the upgrade process to be safe, which is why they're requiring the verified customer portion(don't know how they'll get around people just sharing the BIOS file via Google drive lol).

Honestly can't wait to read the dozen or so threads from people about their bricked motherboards because this process will be confusing and a nightmare for some.

8 hours ago, Tedny said:

The select beta BIOSes will enable a one-way upgrade path for AMD Ryzen Processors with “Zen 3,” coming later this year. Flashing back to an older BIOS version will not be supported.

Two steps forward and one step back imo, I would love to know their reasoning behind this.

This is not consumer friendly, b450 boards have been very popular and have sold very well, this is going to cause issues in the second hand market.

Why don't they just leave it up to their board partners to decide what cpu's their boards support, which they can state on the box. If someone has the brain power to build a computer then they should be capable of taking the few seconds needed to check the manufacturers cpu support list on thier website, and if they don't check it then it's clearly their fault. I wouldn't have minded if AMD stated that officially b450 boards wouldn't  support zen 3 cpu's, so newer customers would buy the newer chipsets and avoid bios issues, as long as they allowed board partners to do bios updates on boards so people could upgrade and downgraded if needed.

I couldn’t imagine working with amd. They cause a ton of headaches. We just had the 5600xt with the last minute bios update and now they are doing this shit. They need to get it together before companies don’t want to work with them 

CPU:  Intel i5 10400

Mobo: Msi Z490 Gaming edge wifi 

Cooler: Evga clc 360mm aio

Fans: 9 Corsair sp120 rgb pro 

GPU:  Evga Rtx 3070 ftw3 ultra gaming 

Ram: 32gb Corsair rgb pro ddr4 3600mhz 

Case: Lian li pc011 

PSU: Corsair Rm850x

Storage: 2Tb Samsung Nvme ssd

Display: Monoprice dark matter 34inch 3440x1440 144hz

Mouse: Logitech G703

Keyboard: Razer ornata chroma 

3 minutes ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

I couldn’t imagine working with amd. They cause a ton of headaches. We just had the 5600xt with the last minute bios update and now they are doing this shit. They need to get it together before companies don’t want to work with them 

i mean its the motherboard companies opting for 16MB bios chips that got us into this mess so they have no one to blame but themselves

Yeah because they didn’t want to go all in on ryzen in case it was a flop like the older cpus they’ve made and I understand where the mobo mfg were coming from on that. If it costs only $1 per board that shit adds up over time 

CPU:  Intel i5 10400

Mobo: Msi Z490 Gaming edge wifi 

Cooler: Evga clc 360mm aio

Fans: 9 Corsair sp120 rgb pro 

GPU:  Evga Rtx 3070 ftw3 ultra gaming 

Ram: 32gb Corsair rgb pro ddr4 3600mhz 

Case: Lian li pc011 

PSU: Corsair Rm850x

Storage: 2Tb Samsung Nvme ssd

Display: Monoprice dark matter 34inch 3440x1440 144hz

Mouse: Logitech G703

Keyboard: Razer ornata chroma 

well this is good news. i do have one question tho, theyre recommending to buy b550/x570 but afaik didnt tell us if the next generation after zen3 will be supported on those so similar situation can repeat again. (if they release another am4 cpu gen, which i think they will)

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

Part reason due to B450 over extending its stay, and B550A / B550 taking so long to arrive.

I think the one-way BIOS update is fine, given that it should have support for both Ryzen 3000-series and 4000-series.

To cover a broader user base (e.g. system integrator, etc).

Drop Ryzen 1000-series and 2000-series support in the *exclusive* BIOS.

Having JUST Ryzen 4000-series support might be tough.

Just going by the 'Build Planning' and 'CPU / Motherboard / Memory' sections on the LLT forums, most new B450 builds are going with a Ryzen 3000-series CPU anyways.

e.g. Ryzen 3600 / 3600X / 3700X, with probably 3100 and 3300X in the mix now too, given how well they perform for gaming.

Should be also on the board partners' to indicate if their specific model of board(s) has BIOS for Ryzen 4000-series support , since some new B450 boards have 32MB BIOS.

e.g. MSi's B450 'MAX' boards.

Zen3+ / Ryzen 5000-series is rumored for 2021 ~ 2022 on socket AM5 with DDR5, and USB 4.0

That is already off the "up to" 2020 road-map anyways.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz (still tweaking) -- i7-6800K
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master -- ASUS X99 Deluxe
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT Special Edition -- 2x Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 (16GB TridentZ RGB + 16GB Red/Black TridentZ)
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO + 1TB Intel 660p NVMe
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass Edition
  • Ekwb Custom loop
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

Intel Z97 Rig (Secondary)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Won't this completely destroy the used markets on the boards? What if someone flashes this bios then you can't use certain CPUs and you will now have to verify before buying one. Or worse someone has no idea about this and sees the boards are compatible buys it and then it isn't because it's been upgraded. 

10 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Oh come on AMD! Grow a spine!

Those people bitching about it last couple of weeks are enthusiasts and not your real customers. Your real customers needs you to protect them from some mumbo jumbo they can’t handle like this. -_-

I do hope this is sarcasm. Although I could understand for older platforms like x370, I bought a fully loaded x470 board hoping/expecting to upgrade to Zen3. Not to mention it took b550 forever and day to finally be released, forcing some people to buy "last gen" boards.

3 hours ago, Neftex said:

well this is good news. i do have one question tho, theyre recommending to buy b550/x570 but afaik didnt tell us if the next generation after zen3 will be supported on those so similar situation can repeat again. (if they release another am4 cpu gen, which i think they will)

i think they are changing the socket next gen if their roadmap is to be believed. BUT having said this, this whole situation is because their roadmap wasn't adhered to.

there will be a point where there is no upgrade path without buying a new board. it's impossible to provide infinite upgradability.

Judge the product by its own merits, not by the Company that created it.

Don't dilute <good thing> by always trying to focus on, and drag conversation back to, <bad thing>.

2 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

I do hope this is sarcasm

100% not sarcasm. I agreed with the way they handled the issue originally and I didn’t see a need to correct it.

They were put in a terrible position and I believe they chose the lesser of two evils. I sincerely believe that. Now they’re just kicking the proverbial can further down the road instead of making a proper fresh start. 

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill

iPhone 8 Plus (Mid 2019 to present)

Samaritan XTX (Early 2021 Upgrade - AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT (12C/24T)  (2021) , MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Corsair 32GB Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 (2020) ,  Asus ROG Strix RX Vega 56 , Corsair RM850i PSU, Noctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler (2021), Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 6TB HDD (2020) , NZXT S340 Elite, Corsair ML 120 Pro, Corsair ML120 x2 (2021)

3 hours ago, Shorty88jr said:

Won't this completely destroy the used markets on the boards? What if someone flashes this bios then you can't use certain CPUs and you will now have to verify before buying one. Or worse someone has no idea about this and sees the boards are compatible buys it and then it isn't because it's been upgraded. 

Literally would have been fine if people didn't all start bitching about support for Ryzen 4000...if everyone would have left it well enough alone then it would be straightforward, if you have an x470/B450 board or older then you can support CPUs up until the Ryzen 3000 series, if you have x570/B550 then you can support Ryzen 2000 and up. Since people chose to complain they now get this kind of clusterfuck where you don't know if an old board has a beta BIOS or not. The BIOS chips on like 99% of the motherboards out there just don't have a big enough of a chip to store everything so this is what you get.

Seriously, I'm so fucking tired of hearing about this. People literally go batshit crazy about "MuH cOmPaTiBiLiTy" for the newest processors and then use the exact same "MuH cOmPaTiBiLiTy" argument when they realize the only fix is a beta BIOS that can't be flashed down to a previous version due to technical reasons. The entire point was that you can't have everything because of technical limitations so AMD basically said "You didn't listen to us so have fun figuring things out on your own". Can't say I blame them at this point for giving people the choice and peacing the fuck out.

AMD gave the people what they ask for, now they suddenly get mad that they can't downgrade the bios or have support for both Zen2 and Zen3. You have to realise there are hardware and maybe software limitations which GN has covered very well in one of their videos. AMD kept their promises after all and supported the AM4 platform for 3 whole generations up to 2020. You can't expect to have support for 4 different cpu generations without any limitations.

In the end you can always sell off your b450 motherboard and get a b550 motherboard whenever they come out if you're really keen on Zen 3 support.

To put things into perspective, blue team has mobos that support only 1 gen of processors on a narrower product stack and they are happy with that superiority.

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

4 hours ago, huilun02 said:

To put things into perspective, blue team has mobos that support only 1 gen of processors on a narrower product stack and they are happy with that superiority.

This is what blows my mind about this entire thing. AMD allowed you to use the same motherboard for three generations of CPUs...THREE! If this were Intel you would have had to buy a new damn motherboard EACH time you upgraded to the next generation. All I could think about when I first heard about this was that it deserved to be on Reddit's r/ChoosingBeggars page. When has a CPU manufacturer made it so you could use three different generations of CPU on the same motherboard besides this one time, ever?

I'm confused.

When AMD said they would support socket AM4 through 2020, what exactly did they mean?

Cooler bracket support?

I'm plenty happy with the support it's had. You can take a 300gen board and stick a ryzen3000 in it. That's great.

But they knew what their architecture roadmap was. They must have known when they laid out the roadmap that there would be problems with zen4000 and older boards.

Seems like they just promised a bit too much.

Either way, going to take the potential cpu upgrade funds and save for a 3080ti.

I'm enjoying the 3700x in my x470. It's plenty.

11 hours ago, Arika S said:

i think they are changing the socket next gen if their roadmap is to be believed. BUT having said this, this whole situation is because their roadmap wasn't adhered to.

How did AMD's roadmap change? Are you referring to their socket support roadmap or a different one?

1 hour ago, StarsMars said:

I'm confused.

When AMD said they would support socket AM4 through 2020, what exactly did they mean?

Cooler bracket support?

You know...the actual socket that you insert the CPU into? Chipset != Socket

10 hours ago, imreloadin said:

Literally would have been fine if people didn't all start bitching about support for Ryzen 4000...if everyone would have left it well enough alone then it would be straightforward, if you have an x470/B450 board or older then you can support CPUs up until the Ryzen 3000 series, if you have x570/B550 then you can support Ryzen 2000 and up. Since people chose to complain they now get this kind of clusterfuck where you don't know if an old board has a beta BIOS or not. The BIOS chips on like 99% of the motherboards out there just don't have a big enough of a chip to store everything so this is what you get.

Seriously, I'm so fucking tired of hearing about this. People literally go batshit crazy about "MuH cOmPaTiBiLiTy" for the newest processors and then use the exact same "MuH cOmPaTiBiLiTy" argument when they realize the only fix is a beta BIOS that can't be flashed down to a previous version due to technical reasons. The entire point was that you can't have everything because of technical limitations so AMD basically said "You didn't listen to us so have fun figuring things out on your own". Can't say I blame them at this point for giving people the choice and peacing the fuck out.

More like it would've been fine if AMD had released B550 around when Ryzen 3000 came out, but AMD kinda put that on themselves with the promise of keeping AM4 compatibility with really no clarification that chipsets wouldn't be compatible.  The backtracking doesn't look good for AMD either, and I think they need to get their PR and marketing right, saying the CPU's won't work then going back and admitting users can get an upgrade just causes a ton of confusion.