240HZ BenQ XL2746S Ghosting or normal

NvidiaLoverIntel

HI everyone I have some questions about this monitor that I just picked up. I don't see any ghosting issues or whatever you may call it while gaming and it certainly is smooth at 240hz, but I was wondering if there is something faulty with this as in the desktop I can see a trail of the mouse if i were to move it fast enough where as my 60hz monitor doesn't do that. Now I'm not sure if this is a placebo effect but the monitor definitely feels faster and smoother and gaming is clear as day compared to the 60hz. But I'm not sure if I either have the wrong settings (DYAC+ Premium, AMA Premium, and instant mode on) or if it's normal to see a trail on the mouse when moved fast enough. 
Yes I changed the resolution to 240hz in Nvidia Control Panel.

If you're sure it's not ghosting, then you might wanna check the mouse pointer trail settings in Win10 (https://winaero.com/blog/enable-pointer-trails-windows-10/). Otherwise, if this still happens, just turn the AMA off.

On 5/19/2020 at 9:50 PM, Bentp2019 said:

If you're sure it's not ghosting, then you might wanna check the mouse pointer trail settings in Win10 (https://winaero.com/blog/enable-pointer-trails-windows-10/). Otherwise, if this still happens, just turn the AMA off.

What does AMA even do? I checked and the mouse pointer trail and it's not on. If it is ghosting i can't really tell in games and the im not sure if it's becasue of the TN panel but the blacks aren't that great and it has some blacks with purple sqaures depending on the scene (visible while watching movies or youtube)

On 5/19/2020 at 7:35 AM, NvidiaLoverIntel said:

HI everyone I have some questions about this monitor that I just picked up. I don't see any ghosting issues or whatever you may call it while gaming and it certainly is smooth at 240hz, but I was wondering if there is something faulty with this as in the desktop I can see a trail of the mouse if i were to move it fast enough where as my 60hz monitor doesn't do that. Now I'm not sure if this is a placebo effect but the monitor definitely feels faster and smoother and gaming is clear as day compared to the 60hz. But I'm not sure if I either have the wrong settings (DYAC+ Premium, AMA Premium, and instant mode on) or if it's normal to see a trail on the mouse when moved fast enough. 
Yes I changed the resolution to 240hz in Nvidia Control Panel.

Is it a darker blur trail or a light blur trail ?

being a 240hz display i suspect its going to be a lighter blur trail, indicating that you have overdrive set to high ,causing overshoot.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

19 hours ago, SolarNova said:

Is it a darker blur trail or a light blur trail ?

being a 240hz display i suspect its going to be a lighter blur trail, indicating that you have overdrive set to high ,causing overshoot.

yeah its a light blue arrow kinda, it's not like a large trail but it's as if the mouse cursor sometimes has an arrow behing it or even in front of it. By trail I think I mistaken it for seeing it in 240hz compared to the 60hz. I think what I'm seeing is overshoot or ghosting? but I thought DYAC + was supposed to mitigate this?

5 hours ago, NvidiaLoverIntel said:

yeah its a light blue arrow kinda, it's not like a large trail but it's as if the mouse cursor sometimes has an arrow behing it or even in front of it. By trail I think I mistaken it for seeing it in 240hz compared to the 60hz. I think what I'm seeing is overshoot or ghosting? but I thought DYAC + was supposed to mitigate this?

Overdrive is there to help speed up transitions , to reduce blur./ghosting ..but

Overshoot , aka inverse ghosting, is CAUSED by overdrive being set too high.

If the overdrive option on the display has multiple settings, lower it. The highest value is almost always terrible and only there so the manufacturers can advertise a 'faster' response time.

DYAC according to the manufacturers page however is BFI. So i suspect ur actually seeing strobe crosstalk. (moving image duplication caused by de-synchronized flicker). You can not 'fix' this in most cases, the manufacturer ether implements it correctly or they dont.

However according to blurbusters Benq/Zowie display can have strobe phase adjustment options, see if urs has that and have a play with it.

Or just turn it off.

https://zowie.benq.eu/en-uk/what-is-dyac.html

https://blurbusters.com/faq/advanced-strobe-crosstalk-faq/

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

• 9 months later...

This is an old thread, but depending on what refresh rate you enabled DyAc in, you might indeed be seeing strobe crosstalk (which is the blending of a frame of data into another frame of data, during a strobe timing pulse, because the strobing "delay" is too slow for the refresh interval period.  This tends to be at the bottom of the screen (unless you adjust the "Area" parameter in the service menu).  

Strobe crosstalk at 240hz is pretty bad, as you are already running the monitor at close to the max pixel clock anyway, so at 240hz, an "area" of 10 is probably best.

However this monitor is fast enough that you can seriously reduce or remove ALL crosstalk at lower refresh rates by making a custom resolution with a "higher" vertical total.

A Vertical total increase basically "extends" the blanking interval, allowing more of the strobe to complete during the refresh period, thus reducing crosstalk.  This also has a positive effect on input lag.

A VT of 2250 at 100hz and 120hz *completely* eliminate ALL crosstalk--there is absolutely NONE.  Just make sure the "Area" value is at 0.

At 144hz, a VT of 1600 or 1650 (Forgot which) elminates almost all crosstalk.  There is only a very small amount left.  

At 165hz (custom refresh rate), it's harder.  VT of 1420 eliminates a lot of crosstalk but not all of it.  Going higher than VT 1420 starts making the monitor slow to accept the signal on refresh rate/resolution changes.  VT 1474 (with a horizontal total of 2080, not HT 2200!) is the most I found acceptable.  I still have to experiment however.

At 182hz (HT: 2080), a vertical total of 1350 is decent and removes some crosstalk.  This is the limit to what I think is acceptable with DyAc enabled.

At 240hz there is really a lot of crosstalk, plus it's alot harder to maintain FPS=refresh rate at 240hz, which is why something lower like 165hz or 182hz (maximum) is suggested.