What's wrong with using Surface Pro wihout a Type Cover?

I have seen a lot of people mention that Surface Pro is not a complete package without the Type Cover, I am wondering why is that such a case? I plan to get Surface Pro at some point and typically when I want to do some work or heavy typing I will always plug my laptop to a keyboard and mouse. The laptop keyboard for me is just the occasion where I want to travel as light as possible and not expect to do a heavy workload on my laptop (like browsing web in a coffee shop.) For this kind of use case, is Type Cover really necessary? 

Never use touch screen on Windows before (except on my Windows Phone Nokia Lumia years ago), was typing on it is so bad that you would need a type cover?

Not very familiar with it, but it just seems to not be the best use of money. If you just want a tablet, there are waaay cheaper ones out there, and the type cover is most of what makes the Surface worth the difference. If you intend to just use a mouse/keyboard with it, might as well just get a laptop, which might also be cheaper, and will probably perform better.

Your mixed usecase might be an exception here

20 minutes ago, Yebi said:

Not very familiar with it, but it just seems to not be the best use of money. If you just want a tablet, there are waaay cheaper ones out there, and the type cover is most of what makes the Surface worth the difference. If you intend to just use a mouse/keyboard with it, might as well just get a laptop, which might also be cheaper, and will probably perform better.

Your mixed usecase might be an exception here

Laptop can be too heavy to be carry every where and also too large for some situation (i.e. on an airplane trey), Surface Pro is significantly lighter I can use it as a tablet on my bed so it might worth the price if it can make me use my laptop more often. 

Basically I want something that I can use as a tablet but can also be used for job - and my job need windows

But yeah, it's expensive and it's even more expensive where I live in the US. Honestly my preferred choice would be a 2-in-1 laptop but none of them seem to fit my preferrence this year so I am starting to look at Surface again. Becaue of my work I almost always carry a keyboard with me every where.

2 minutes ago, e22big said:

Laptop can be too heavy to be carry every where and also too large for some situation (i.e. on an airplane trey), Surface Pro is significantly lighter I can use it as a tablet on my bed so it might worth the price if it can make me use my laptop more often. 

But yeah, it's expensive and it's even more expensive where I live in the US. Honestly my preferred choice would be a 2-in-1 laptop but none of them seem to fit my preferrence this year so I am starting to look at Surface again. Becaue of my work I almost always carry a keyboard with me every where.

In most cases I think people are better off with an iPad and a laptop. I had a surface pro four for a couple months and sold it because it was worse than my iPad and desktop. 

2 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

In most cases I think people are better off with an iPad and a laptop. I had a surface pro four for a couple months and sold it because it was worse than my iPad and desktop. 

I already have a desktop and a phone :P 

Sometime I have a need for a laptop or tablet like when I am travelling or need to bring my own computer to work but that kind of occasion is not often enough to just get them both. Which why it's either having a laptop or tablet. It's laptop for now because I can also use it for work on occasion but I miss having the portability and bigger-than-phone screen of a tablet, which is why I have been looking for a 2-in-1 solution. 

Asus Zenbook Flip 13 is actually perfect but they don't make them this year and every thing else just don't sit right with me (Dell XPS is too expensive, Inspiron too thick, HP hinge feel wierdly loose etc.) 

Surface Pro when they discount it actually fit my budget - can even get some Chinese-copy Type Cover if it's really need but for just occaion web browsing I don't feel like it's that important (unless Windows touch screeen is really bad to the point of unsuable like the other guy point out.) If I really need to sit down and use it for an extended period, I almost carry my Logitech G913 with me every where. There's no way I am going to use a keyboard without macro keys and numpad with my work, they won't cut it at all.