Putting in a new internal hard disk

Hello, 

I want to put in a HDD (2.5") into my Lenovo laptop and the laptop came with a cable and 4 screws to allow me to do so. But the problem I have is that the pictures of the HDD online that I am looking to buy all have a 4 pin socket next to the SATA connector. This means that the drive would need power (1.2 W for the model I'm interested in) and I don't have a dedicated cable for this. Also I don't understand how power delivery works inside a laptop. So does this mean I can only install a SSD drive?

What Think Pad model is it and what's the model number of the drive? With SATA HDDs or SSDs you have a power connector which is roughly double the length of the SATA connector to the motherboard. Power delivery is less of a concern unless you want to gain battery life, in which case an SSD would make more sense. Some modern Think Pads need an Adapter bracket that will hold the drive in place and then connect that to the motherboard. Please send the model number of the Think Pad and the drive you are looking at. The only pins I can think of are those meant for jumpers, some newer drives still have them but they are not for power delivery and are of no concern to you.

1 minute ago, Applefreak said:

What Think Pad model is it and what's the model number of the drive? With SATA HDDs or SSDs you have a power connector which is roughly double the length of the SATA connector to the motherboard. Power delivery is less of a concern unless you want to gain battery life, in which case an SSD would make more sense. Some modern Think Pads need an Adapter bracket that will hold the drive in place and then connect that to the motherboard. Please send the model number of the Think Pad and the drive you are looking at. The only pins I can think of are those meant for jumpers, some newer drives still have them but they are not for power delivery and are of no concern to you.

Thanks for replying.

Its not a think pad, its an idea pad. L340-15IRH . Here is a video of a YouTuber opening it up and installing a SSD 

The model of HDD I am thinking of buying and installing is a SEAGATE MOMENTUS 500GB 2.5" (ST500LT012)

You can see the small socket to the right of the data connector and I wonder if this is for power and if it is then the type of cable I would need to get in addition to the data cable which I already have. 

spacer.png

As you can see in the video, you only need the flat ports in the back to connect to that wire adapter. The port on the side looks like an additional power connector, maybe 5V. Just ignore it, it's for enterprise use only (integrated systems and such). You only need the main ports connected, the flat ones, that's it.

44 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

As you can see in the video, you only need the flat ports in the back to connect to that wire adapter. The port on the side looks like an additional power connector, maybe 5V. Just ignore it, it's for enterprise use only (integrated systems and such). You only need the main ports connected, the flat ones, that's it.

Okay. Thanks a lot