Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2600MHz HT Link and NB looses memory

System is the one in my sig, motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2.

Ok so here it goes.  I know the motherboard is entry level, so it's fine if this is a limit of the board, but maybe someone knows if I need to adjust timing or not to do this right.  The chipset in mine is actually the 780G despite the box and website stating 760G.  It's my understanding that the HT Link for this chipset and CPU should be 2600MHz, but the BIOS sets it to 2200MHz.  Ok fair enough, not much of a difference anyway.  My RAM is 1866MHz, as is the memory controller in my CPU according to AMD's website.  And it works correctly if I set the DRAM speed to 1866MHz.

HOWEVER, if I set the HT Link to 2600MHz (and the NB frequency) in the BIOS, my RAM goes from 16GB to 8GB.  Windows sees 8GHz, CPU-Z sees 12GB.  It's weird.  If however I set the NB Frequency to 2200MHz and HT Link to 2600MHz, then all 16GB appear just fine.  Now isn't the memory controller in the CPU?  Why would setting both HT and NB to 2600MHz cause one whole memory channel to just disappear like that?

If I change the DRAM frequency to 1333MHz, then all 16GB show up fine, albeit at reduced throughput in an AIDA benchmark.

 

I have run memtest when set to 2200MHz (HT and NB) and 1866MHz DRAM and no errors are found.

 

As is 2200MHz HT and NB isn't an issue as far as I can tell.  It's just weird though that the CPU and North Bridge actually onboard should handle 2600MHz without issue, the actual components on the board are rated as such.  It seems more like a BIOS issue perhaps?  Unfortunately the last update was 2017 and it already has F1 flashed.

 

(Sorry if my words are broken up, I had to take pain medication tonight and my thoughts are a little jumbled, so apologies.  I'll repeat anything if you need me too.)

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.3GHz       RAM: HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti 4GB             Keyboard: IBM XT Model F

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2.6ghz is too high for the Chipset. Most FX chips top out about 2.5ghz and I recommend 2.4ghz for stability.

Chipset or NB voltage is for the NB chipset. 

CPU/NB is the integrated memory controller voltage.

HT Link 2.6ghz is stock and should not require a voltage increase. However the HT link can go quite a bit higher with some effort.

 

The rest of it sounds ok. Just unlink the NB chipset from the HT link. Let the HT be higher, that's fine, nothing wrong with that.

- If it ain't broken, don't fix it! - - Your post codes and beep codes in the drop down below -

Competitive Benching Team - Warp9-Systems 

Save the old OC forums just by reading old school tec

https://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/index.php

They have the best F@H stats too. 

Spoiler

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

The FX-8320 claims it supports 2.6GHz (on CPU world at least), so it's too high then, got it.  I actually was under the impression running the NB and HT link at different speeds was a bad idea.  The BIOS says if the NB frequency is lower than the HT link, then the NB frequency will be raised to match (it actually doesn't though according to CPU-Z).

 

Good to know.  Thanks, I'll leave them unlinked then if it's ok because it works then just fine that way so far.

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.3GHz       RAM: HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti 4GB             Keyboard: IBM XT Model F

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Hakemon said:

The FX-8320 claims it supports 2.6GHz (on CPU world at least), so it's too high then, got it.  I actually was under the impression running the NB and HT link at different speeds was a bad idea.  The BIOS says if the NB frequency is lower than the HT link, then the NB frequency will be raised to match (it actually doesn't though according to CPU-Z).

 

Good to know.  Thanks, I'll leave them unlinked then if it's ok because it works then just fine that way so far.

Yes it'll be just dandy. 

The HT will easily do 3ghz. Might not really see performance gains, but the system may feel more responsive. You can use up to 1.30v HT, should be no problem. If you can use less, use less. 

 

By the way, some of my highest overclocks where on the same chipset, 4+1 VRM, a few Dice and LN2 submissions put is in the 6 and 7ghz club ;)

- If it ain't broken, don't fix it! - - Your post codes and beep codes in the drop down below -

Competitive Benching Team - Warp9-Systems 

Save the old OC forums just by reading old school tec

https://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/index.php

They have the best F@H stats too. 

Spoiler

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Yes it'll be just dandy. 

The HT will easily do 3ghz. Might not really see performance gains, but the system may feel more responsive. You can use up to 1.30v HT, should be no problem. If you can use less, use less. 

 

By the way, some of my highest overclocks where on the same chipset, 4+1 VRM, a few Dice and LN2 submissions put is in the 6 and 7ghz club ;)

I think I found a BIOS bug.  lol.  No matter what I actually set the NB frequency too, CPU-Z shows it stuck at 2200MHz.  When it's on AUTO is when the RAM disappears it seems.  Oh well, I'll leave it at 2200MHz then.

4+1 VRM as well.  But if I set my base speed to 4.1GHz, it BSOD's on boot.  Setting it to 4.0GHz with a 4.3GHz turbo is perfectly reliable even with prime 95, intel burn test, etc.  CPU temps are not going over 44c under full load.  I'm assuming the VRM is probably why it BSOD's at 4.1GHz base if I can temporarily hit 4.3GHz turbo without issue.

 

(This was the first PC I built in 17 years, and lol things have changed a bit since I last built PC's).

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.3GHz       RAM: HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti 4GB             Keyboard: IBM XT Model F

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Hakemon said:

I think I found a BIOS bug.  lol.  No matter what I actually set the NB frequency too, CPU-Z shows it stuck at 2200MHz.  When it's on AUTO is when the RAM disappears it seems.  Oh well, I'll leave it at 2200MHz then.

4+1 VRM as well.  But if I set my base speed to 4.1GHz, it BSOD's on boot.  Setting it to 4.0GHz with a 4.3GHz turbo is perfectly reliable even with prime 95, intel burn test, etc.  CPU temps are not going over 44c under full load.  I'm assuming the VRM is probably why it BSOD's at 4.1GHz base if I can temporarily hit 4.3GHz turbo without issue.

 

(This was the first PC I built in 17 years, and lol things have changed a bit since I last built PC's).

Heh, yea I know exactly what you mean. Things are quite a bit different these days, hardware and software speaking. 

 

Yep just use it and enjoy though. Really won't gain much pushing on it. 

- If it ain't broken, don't fix it! - - Your post codes and beep codes in the drop down below -

Competitive Benching Team - Warp9-Systems 

Save the old OC forums just by reading old school tec

https://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/index.php

They have the best F@H stats too. 

Spoiler

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Heh, yea I know exactly what you mean. Things are quite a bit different these days, hardware and software speaking. 

 

Yep just use it and enjoy though. Really won't gain much pushing on it. 

Oh I've certainly been enjoying it.  lol.  I snatched a magnetic coil speaker out of an old IBM and installed that for the PC speaker rather than a pietzoelectric, as I like to play some old DOS games still, and there's something about hearing it from a real PC speaker vs a desktop speaker..  (I stuck a USB disk on the back USB 2.0 port, the only bootable port, and kept a FAT32 partition on it for FreeDOS).  Though while in Windows I enjoy playing Doom 2016 and exploring new areas.  Runs just fine, 100-133fps average with my overclocked 1050 Ti 4GB.  (I was going to get Eternal but with the whole Denuvo stuff I'm turned off from it now.)

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.3GHz       RAM: HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti 4GB             Keyboard: IBM XT Model F

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Hakemon said:

Oh I've certainly been enjoying it.  lol.  I snatched a magnetic coil speaker out of an old IBM and installed that for the PC speaker rather than a pietzoelectric, as I like to play some old DOS games still, and there's something about hearing it from a real PC speaker vs a desktop speaker..  (I stuck a USB disk on the back USB 2.0 port, the only bootable port, and kept a FAT32 partition on it for FreeDOS).  Though while in Windows I enjoy playing Doom 2016 and exploring new areas.  Runs just fine, 100-133fps average with my overclocked 1050 Ti 4GB.  (I was going to get Eternal but with the whole Denuvo stuff I'm turned off from it now.)

Well you should see my kids reaction when I fire up the Atari 2600 emulator.

Runs on the third rig in the list below. Not all the games work with the keyboard unfortunately. 

I'd build a Dos Box, but I know it won't get used. Most of my retro stuff gets packed away until I need/want to play with it.

 

 

 

- If it ain't broken, don't fix it! - - Your post codes and beep codes in the drop down below -

Competitive Benching Team - Warp9-Systems 

Save the old OC forums just by reading old school tec

https://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/index.php

They have the best F@H stats too. 

Spoiler

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

Well you should see my kids reaction when I fire up the Atari 2600 emulator.

Runs on the third rig in the list below. Not all the games work with the keyboard unfortunately. 

I'd build a Dos Box, but I know it won't get used. Most of my retro stuff gets packed away until I need/want to play with it.

 

 

 

My entire bedroom is 70's themed.  70's TV, 70's Hifi with big speakers, but I do also have an Atari 2600 sitting right on top of the TV.  :P  My girlfriend enjoys playing it, she loves Yars Revenge.

 

What BIOS mod did you do on that rig?  I did a BIOS mod on mine as well.  It was originally an MSI Gaming 1050 Ti, but I noticed that the Gaming X was the same exact card.  Same VRAM, same brand of VRAM, everything, even the cooler were identical, only difference with clock speeds.  So I cross flashed the Gaming X video BIOS onto my card, and now it's a Gaming X.  Games are phenomenal on it for a 1050 Ti.

lbixCv9.jpg

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.3GHz       RAM: HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti 4GB             Keyboard: IBM XT Model F

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Hakemon said:

My entire bedroom is 70's themed.  70's TV, 70's Hifi with big speakers, but I do also have an Atari 2600 sitting right on top of the TV.  :P  My girlfriend enjoys playing it, she loves Yars Revenge.

 

What BIOS mod did you do on that rig?  I did a BIOS mod on mine as well.  It was originally an MSI Gaming 1050 Ti, but I noticed that the Gaming X was the same exact card.  Same VRAM, same brand of VRAM, everything, even the cooler were identical, only difference with clock speeds.  So I cross flashed the Gaming X video BIOS onto my card, and now it's a Gaming X.  Games are phenomenal on it for a 1050 Ti.

 

Haha that's Fuckin sweet, ain't gonna lie. My brother has all the old consoles. Stored for safe keeping. 

I gotta know, is there some 70's ash trays. Better be some green in them :P

 

Ah the GTX 980 bios mod, Well I cannot take full credit where credit is due.

I had such a wonderful experience with the card. It's a beast. It OCs like mad. 

Increased Power limit capability

Increase Base and Boost clocks

Removed 0% fan RPM at idle low temps.

And it's a beast.

Well here, you can read the thread where I asked for some help there.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/calling-the-exiled-airman-for-gtx-980-bios-mod.260010/page-2

 

 

 

- If it ain't broken, don't fix it! - - Your post codes and beep codes in the drop down below -

Competitive Benching Team - Warp9-Systems 

Save the old OC forums just by reading old school tec

https://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/index.php

They have the best F@H stats too. 

Spoiler

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×