HDD won't let me allocate space

cummerou1

Hey guys, I am quite stumped over this, and google is not helping a whole lot, so I figured I would ask the experts.

I bought a 4TB HDD on ebay. Upon connecting and getting it all set up, I go to disk management to allocate the space so I can use it.
I am greeted with this: https://gyazo.com/deb28cbb16c33355a3d78879dfcd09ca
I click ok, and then this happens: https://gyazo.com/5b45dd916de935b30f9e5217614da70c
Logically, that would mean just to use the other option (even though that does not make any sense for a 4TB HDD), but when I do that, it says "incorrect function".

I am then left with this: https://gyazo.com/c9619e31abbefa71f472e76166beec2a?token=33949faa7258a9f23383fd7dd7364c92

I googled around, and for it specifically not even showing the unallocated space, there were a few things that could be the problem.
One was that the HDD drivers were not updated, so I did that and they said they already had the best drivers. Secondly, looking in the properties, it said that the HDD was not "migrated".
This could be an update problem, so I updated my PC, and it changed to being migrated, though nothing else had changed.
The last thing it said could be the problem is physical damage, which makes sense, except, if I go into properties, it says "this device is working properly". I assume it would not say that if something had broken internally.

So, I am kinda out of ideas on what to do. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you :)

Sounds like maybe you're drive isnt partitioned and formatted properly...go to disk management in win 10

Just now, steelo said:

Sounds like maybe you're drive isnt partitioned and formatted properly...go to disk management in win 10

I have been there for quite a while, as mentioned and shown in my post. 
I can't do anything as far as I can see, it won't even let me press on the "initialize" option.

There only other options are offline (which it says it is not ready for), help, and properties. 
So unless there is an option I am missing, I cannot see how I am supposed to do that.

2 minutes ago, cummerou1 said:

I have been there for quite a while, as mentioned and shown in my post. 
I can't do anything as far as I can see, it won't even let me press on the "initialize" option.

There only other options are offline (which it says it is not ready for), help, and properties. 
So unless there is an option I am missing, I cannot see how I am supposed to do that.

Have you tried disabling the drive in device manager, rebooting, renabling again? then go thru the partition process

If you go to Device Manager and find your drive, does it show any triangle or anything that indicates a problem?

1 minute ago, steelo said:

Have you tried disabling in device manager rebooting and find new hardware option?

You mean to uninstall the device? Disabling just disables the device it doesn't remove anything.

Just now, aDoomGuy said:

If you go to Device Manager and find your drive, does it show any triangle or anything that indicates a problem?

sounds like its not initializing reading drive correctly

Just now, aDoomGuy said:

Nope, just says "unknown device"

Just now, aDoomGuy said:

You mean to uninstall the device? Disabling just disables the device it doesn't remove anything.

Remove device option...I had a similar issue with a drive and selected remove device and found it again...seemed to work the second time around

1 minute ago, cummerou1 said:

Nope, just says "unknown device"

Hmmm...try r clicking device, update driver and see what message it gives you

Just now, steelo said:

Hmmm...try update driver and see what message it gives you

As I mentioned in the post, I have already updated the HDD drivers, it says it is already using the best drivers

Just now, cummerou1 said:

As I mentioned in the post, I have already updated the HDD drivers, it says it is already using the best drivers

So Windows is not properly communicating with the chip on the drive. Did you try to use the uninstall option in Device Manager and reboot? If that doesn't help and the SATA cable is properly connected then I think maybe you have a bad drive. Possibly something wrong with the chip or in the circuit between the SATA port and the chip.

Sounds like a hardware issue then. Go on the drive manufacturers website and see if there are any drivers you can download....it shouldnt be this difficult to install a new drive

Just now, aDoomGuy said:

So Windows is not properly communicating with the chip on the drive. Did you try to use the uninstall option in Device Manager and reboot? If that doesn't help and the SATA cable is properly connected then I think maybe you have a bad drive. Possibly something wrong with the chip or in the circuit between the SATA port and the chip.

I did not want to uninstall since I was 100% what it did, and I did not want to mess anything. Will try now!

5 minutes ago, cummerou1 said:

I did not want to uninstall since I was 100% what it did, and I did not want to mess anything. Will try now!

It will remove the drive and drivers from the system so that you can start the process over from scratch.

1 minute ago, steelo said:

could also be a bad sata cable.

Yes, of course this could also be the case. Try swap it out for a known good one.

7 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

It will remove the drive and drivers from the system so that you can start the process over from scratch.

Yes, of course this could also be the case. Try swap it out for a known good one.

I've had a brand new one go bad before in less than a week.

5 minutes ago, steelo said:

could also be a bad sata cable.

Yeah, forgot to mention, took a sata cable out of an SSD that was working and switched it with the HDD one. 

SSD is still fine, HDD still connects. So don't think it's a sata cable problem.

Just now, cummerou1 said:

Yeah, forgot to mention, took a sata cable out of an SSD that was working and switched it with the HDD one. 

SSD is still fine, HDD still connects. So don't think it's a sata cable problem.

okay, sounds like thats not issue then...

Just now, steelo said:

And we are trying to exhaust all options, are we not?

Indeed, I just didn't think of that until you mentioned it.

1 minute ago, cummerou1 said:

Back to the drive then, if reinstalling the drive don't help then maybe worth trying to install firmware to it if there is any available from the manufacturer. I can help you look for it but I would need the model number for the drive along with it's make and model.

Just now, aDoomGuy said:

Back to the drive then, if reinstalling the drive don't help then maybe worth trying to install firmware to it if there is any available from the manufacturer. I can help you look for it but I would need the model number for the drive along with it's make and model.

If manufacturer drivers dont work, Im leaning towards it being a hardware issue. Drives just shouldnt be this difficult to make work...

23 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Hitachi H3D40003254SE (I think that's what you need)

5400 RPM, 4TB

And thank you :)

16 minutes ago, steelo said:

If manufacturer drivers dont work, Im leaning towards it being a hardware issue. Drives just shouldnt be this difficult to make work...

Agreed, most bother I have ever had with a drive

7 minutes ago, cummerou1 said:

Hitachi H3D40003254SE

5400 RPM, 4TB

Nope, couldn't find any site to download drivers for any Hitachi products actually. Sorry.

Just now, aDoomGuy said:

Nope, couldn't find any site to download drivers for any Hitachi products actually. Sorry.

Same, but thank you for looking

I'll properly just send it back