Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Advice on a 1st Gen Motorola E not turning on

penguin8967
 Share

So I have an old phone, this Moto E 1st gen (Model XT1021), which I was hoping to use as a kind of offline Spotify player, for when I'm travelling. It's not my main phone, but it's been sitting in a drawer for about a year, and so the battery is flat. I've left it charging for hours, tried disconnecting the battery, then reconnecting, holding the power + vol down buttons for 120 secs....pretty much everything the internet said.

 

Any help?

🐧 penguin8967 🐧

 

Intel i5-9500, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD, 1x 120mm Fan.

 

Upgrading soon to an ITX GTX 1650 (4GB).

 

🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, penguin8967 said:

So I have an old phone, this Moto E 1st gen (Model XT1021), which I was hoping to use as a kind of offline Spotify player, for when I'm travelling. It's not my main phone, but it's been sitting in a drawer for about a year, and so the battery is flat. I've left it charging for hours, tried disconnecting the battery, then reconnecting, holding the power + vol down buttons for 120 secs....pretty much everything the internet said.

 

Any help?

Best thing you can do is connect it to a pc to charge and it will tricklecharge very slowly if the battery is still alive. Leave it be for half a day and see if it has some life in it left then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, jaslion said:

Best thing you can do is connect it to a pc to charge and it will trickle charge very slowly if the battery is still alive. Leave it be for half a day and see if it has some life in it left then.

Forgot to mention: The only sign of life I get is a single flash from the notification LED when I plug in the charger. I have been charging it using this desktop Anker charging hub I have (which seems to charge other devices very quickly). I will try using my PC now

🐧 penguin8967 🐧

 

Intel i5-9500, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD, 1x 120mm Fan.

 

Upgrading soon to an ITX GTX 1650 (4GB).

 

🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, penguin8967 said:

Forgot to mention: The only sign of life I get is a single flash from the notification LED when I plug in the charger. I have been charging it using this desktop Anker charging hub I have (which seems to charge other devices very quickly). I will try using my PC now

I've had plenty of phones that after being left alone for a long time when the battery was dead that refused to charge. Most wallchargers can't go low enough in terms of volts or amps to get them past the initial bump to accept the regular 5v 1a charge again but a computers usb port has a lot of ranges so that usually works.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I've had plenty of phones that after being left alone for a long time when the battery was dead that refused to charge. Most wallchargers can't go low enough in terms of volts or amps to get them past the initial bump to accept the regular 5v 1a charge again but a computers usb port has a lot of ranges so that usually works.

Kk. How long do you think I'd have to charge it for before it decides to turn on (if it does)?

🐧 penguin8967 🐧

 

Intel i5-9500, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD, 1x 120mm Fan.

 

Upgrading soon to an ITX GTX 1650 (4GB).

 

🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, penguin8967 said:

Kk. How long do you think I'd have to charge it for before it decides to turn on (if it does)?

I'd say try at least 4-6 hours at least. I tend to just leave them in from morning till night and then see if there is life.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jaslion said:

I'd say try at least 4-6 hours at least. I tend to just leave them in from morning till night and then see if there is life.

Small update: The phone is getting quite hot while charging from the PC, and I am now getting the 'device connected' noise from the PC when I plug it in. Any ideas?

🐧 penguin8967 🐧

 

Intel i5-9500, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD, 1x 120mm Fan.

 

Upgrading soon to an ITX GTX 1650 (4GB).

 

🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

The battery self discharges even when the device is turned off. It happens slowly but is unavoidable.

 

Store it like this for long enough, and the battery will discharge completely. Once that happens you effectively have a dead battery that cannot function normally again.

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

 

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, penguin8967 said:

Small update: The phone is getting quite hot while charging from the PC, and I am now getting the 'device connected' noise from the PC when I plug it in. Any ideas?

Unplug it and try turning it on. If not working then the battery is probably dead dead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Unplug it and try turning it on. If not working then the battery is probably dead dead.

Yeah, I held down the power button for 2 minutes and it's done nothing

🐧 penguin8967 🐧

 

Intel i5-9500, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD, 1x 120mm Fan.

 

Upgrading soon to an ITX GTX 1650 (4GB).

 

🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×