Advice on a 1st Gen Motorola E not turning on

penguin8967

So I have an old phone, this Moto E 1st gen (Model XT1021), which I was hoping to use as a kind of offline Spotify player, for when I'm travelling. It's not my main phone, but it's been sitting in a drawer for about a year, and so the battery is flat. I've left it charging for hours, tried disconnecting the battery, then reconnecting, holding the power + vol down buttons for 120 secs....pretty much everything the internet said.

Any help?

馃惂penguin8967馃惂

Intel i5-9500, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD, 1x 120mm Fan.

Upgrading soon to an ITX GTX 1650 (4GB).

馃惂馃惂馃惂馃惂馃惂馃惂

2 minutes ago, penguin8967 said:

So I have an old phone, this Moto E 1st gen (Model XT1021), which I was hoping to use as a kind of offline Spotify player, for when I'm travelling. It's not my main phone, but it's been sitting in a drawer for about a year, and so the battery is flat. I've left it charging for hours, tried disconnecting the battery, then reconnecting, holding the power + vol down buttons for 120 secs....pretty much everything the internet said.

Any help?

Best thing you can do is connect it to a pc to charge and it will tricklecharge very slowly if the battery is still alive. Leave it be for half a day and see if it has some life in it left then.

Just now, jaslion said:

Best thing you can do is connect it to a pc to charge and it will trickle charge very slowly if the battery is still alive. Leave it be for half a day and see if it has some life in it left then.

Forgot to mention: The only sign of life I get is a single flash from the notification LED when I plug in the charger. I have been charging it using this desktop Anker charging hub I have (which seems to charge other devices very quickly). I will try using my PC now

馃惂penguin8967馃惂

馃惂馃惂馃惂馃惂馃惂馃惂

1 minute ago, penguin8967 said:

Forgot to mention: The only sign of life I get is a single flash from the notification LED when I plug in the charger. I have been charging it using this desktop Anker charging hub I have (which seems to charge other devices very quickly). I will try using my PC now

I've had plenty of phones that after being left alone for a long time when the battery was dead that refused to charge. Most wallchargers can't go low enough in terms of volts or amps to get them past the initial bump to accept the regular 5v 1a charge again but a computers usb port has a lot of ranges so that usually works.

11 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I've had plenty of phones that after being left alone for a long time when the battery was dead that refused to charge. Most wallchargers can't go low enough in terms of volts or amps to get them past the initial bump to accept the regular 5v 1a charge again but a computers usb port has a lot of ranges so that usually works.

Kk. How long do you think I'd have to charge it for before it decides to turn on (if it does)?

馃惂penguin8967馃惂

馃惂馃惂馃惂馃惂馃惂馃惂

3 minutes ago, penguin8967 said:

Kk. How long do you think I'd have to charge it for before it decides to turn on (if it does)?

I'd say try at least 4-6 hours at least. I tend to just leave them in from morning till night and then see if there is life.

2 hours ago, jaslion said:

I'd say try at least 4-6 hours at least. I tend to just leave them in from morning till night and then see if there is life.

Small update: The phone is getting quite hot while charging from the PC, and I am now getting the 'device connected' noise from the PC when I plug it in. Any ideas?

馃惂penguin8967馃惂

馃惂馃惂馃惂馃惂馃惂馃惂

1 hour ago, penguin8967 said:

Small update: The phone is getting quite hot while charging from the PC, and I am now getting the 'device connected' noise from the PC when I plug it in. Any ideas?

Unplug it and try turning it on. If not working then the battery is probably dead dead.

47 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Unplug it and try turning it on. If not working then the battery is probably dead dead.

Yeah, I held down the power button for 2 minutes and it's done nothing

馃惂penguin8967馃惂

馃惂馃惂馃惂馃惂馃惂馃惂