Return my 2080 Super while I can?

TheUniT

So I've finished most of my new PC almost a month ago, and I decided I couldn't wait for the new generation as we know basically nothing about its specs and potential release date. The 2080 Super arrived almost 2 weeks ago. Just 2 days after that Moore's Law is Dead uploaded his video talking about Ampere leaks.

I've been thinking for about 10 days now - should I return my 2080 Super and wait for the new generation? I have asked customer support and their answer implies I can return it even though I've used it for over a week now. Revoked the purchase contract and got the return slip (I can still keep the card apparently, if it doesn't arrive at their warehouse within 14 days after revocation it still counts as a regular purchase and I won't be able to return it).

My thoughts are:

+ It's a nice card and has good performance.

+ If I return it, I'd have a friend that would lend me his 960 or another that would sell me his 1060. Still, those would be bottlenecks.

+ Edit: The SUPER cards aren't even a year old. Can't be that outdated, even after 3080 launch. Right?

- I "paid" (I have a payment plan) 800 € but its successor will come out in fall by the looks of it.

- I've started the return process, I should probably finish it.

- Despite the good performance right now, I don't know if I'll be able to properly play games with raytracing 2 years from now.

What do you think? I can't make up my mind like a child. I'm mainly concerned about the potentially significant price drop of the 20 series, or the 30 series' significant performance increase for the same price.

Should I keep the card, be happy with my first proper PC and avoid Ampere videos like the plague? Or should I follow suit with my obsession to optimize price/performance, return the card and wait for the new lineup?

If you can wait that long, by all means, do wait. Just keep in mind that delays are possible and the cards may not be available until late this year or even early next year. If you're fine without a GPU until then, there should be no issue.

Leaked specs and expected performance may also differ quite significantly from reality. I'd say it's a given the new cards are going to be faster, but until there are independent benchmarks you really don't know how much faster and at what price point. Or how quickly prices will drop on older cards.

Obligatory: There's always something new on the horizon. By the time you get your 3080 you may read about the 4080 that is going to totally blow its socks off... which means you'll be waiting for all eternity :P

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Just speculation based on the leaks that have been published but I think that Ampere's ray tracing will be a significant improvement over the current RTX cards (I have an RTX 2080), this will likely mean that Ray Tracing tech will concentrate on the more powerful cards and if that matters to you more than waiting till October for a new GPU then you should return it. However it is important to consider that it may not come when expected and that the rumors are only rumors.

Matthew Gilbride

10 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Obligatory: There's always something new on the horizon. By the time you get your 3080 you may read about the 4080 that is going to totally blow its socks off... which means you'll be waiting for all eternity :P

Assuming I return the card, I'd buy a 3080 right at launch anyway. The 40 series should still take plenty of time to even be a topic to think about.

9 minutes ago, Matt1632 said:

and if that matters to you more than waiting till October for a new GPU then you should return it. However it is important to consider that it may not come when expected and that the rumors are only rumors.

Yes, that's my concern. If I could be certain it releases by September-October, I wouldn't think so long about returning it. My dilemma is because I can't be sure whether or not I have to wait until December-February, as some have speculated. Plus, I'm thinking the SUPER cards aren't even a year old, they can't be that outdated at 3080 launch, right?

Just now, TheUniT said:

Assuming I return the card, I'd buy a 3080 right at launch anyway. The 40 series should still take plenty of time to even be a topic to think about.

Yes, that's my concern. If I could be certain it releases by September-October, I wouldn't think so long about returning it. My dilemma is because I can't be sure whether or not I have to wait until December-February, as some have speculated.

Watching the latest WAN show @Slick said he expected it to come in November.

Matthew Gilbride

You can return it and buy something cheap (maybe a 1060) to last you to the fall, and then upgrade to the new generation. Just tell them it draws to much power from your PSU and you can't keep the GPU.

6 minutes ago, aaradorn said:

You can return it and buy something cheap (maybe a 1060) to last you to the fall, and then upgrade to the new generation. Just tell them it draws to much power from your PSU and you can't keep the GPU.

If I return it that would be the plan.

34 minutes ago, TheUniT said:

+ If I return it, I'd have a friend that would lend me his 960 or another that would sell me his 1060. Still, those would be bottlenecks.

10 minutes ago, TheUniT said:

Yeah, I agree and I can relate. The 3080 is practically on the horizon and is expected to do a lot better at RTX. Just pointing out some things to consider. I also want to build a new PC and I'm waiting for fall because a lot of things are (hopefully) coming out like Zen 3, RDNA2, Ampere. My only fear is that it'll be next year until stuff is widely enough available on the market so you can actually buy it and receive it in reasonable time.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

One option would be return it, get a card with better fps/$(like the 5700(XT) or 2060 for example) keep that card until the new one arrive and sell it afterwards, this would also help avoid issues that often happen in the first few weeks after release as it wouldn't be such a big deal to wait for a few weeks until things get more stable. This option would be good in case you want more performance then the 960/1060, but doesn't want to keep the 2080S. Something like the 5700XT would offer 80% of the performance of the 2080S for half the price(usually, depends on the country), so the buyers remorse would probably be smaller if the newer cards are as good as the rumors say.

Some more context, I've been trying to build a PC since last October, finally got around to order parts in March and April and finished it late April. Assuming I wait until November for the new generation, I'll have waited almost a year to properly finish the PC, which means I could have also waited before ordering the parts I already have now. Whereas, if I keep the 2080 Super, I have a finished PC right now + I didn't waste money on buying everything else early. So that's also a factor.

Smarter from a price/performance standpoint would be to return the card, smarter from a finished-PC and not-bottlenecking-the-parts-I-already-have-standpoint would be to keep it.

I would return it and save up money so when the new cards release you don't have to finance a graphics card.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15