New tv, QLED or OLED?

Hello! For the last couple of years i've been using a projector in my room for movies and games but the picture quality is low and it's noisy. So I've started looking at getting a TV instead. The TV will be a downgrade in size but the picture quality should make up for it.. I've looked at QLED and OLED tvs and I'm not sure what I should get? OLED is more expensive but is it worth it? what do you guys think?

Watches and computers                    

18 minutes ago, smiles rising said:

Hello! For the last couple of years i've been using a projector in my room for movies and games but the picture quality is low and it's noisy. So I've started looking at getting a TV instead. The TV will be a downgrade in size but the picture quality should make up for it.. I've looked at QLED and OLED tvs and I'm not sure what I should get? OLED is more expensive but is it worth it? what do you guys think?

Well, what content are you looking at enjoying on it? is it's HDR streaming, or watching high quality HDR blu-rays etc, then I'd say OLED... this is also why I got my OLED and am very pleased.

If however you're consuming low quality rips or that ilk, then I don't think it's worth the spending for OLED personally, as you cannot improve the quality of the original, and with lower quality rips etc are more likely to have compression artefacts IMO.

[edit] I will say though that I don't notice the compression artefacts as much on my OLED though... but the TV that I DID notice on was not HDR capable for reference.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

I recently bought the lg oled55c9pla and couldn't be happier about it. Absolutly perfect image, especialy Netflix and Dolby vision content. 

They both have there pros and cons.

What is the budget you are willing to spend? What size are you looking at? 

Is it a very bright room where the TV will be?

I was in the same boat as you some months ago. I went with OLED (LG C9) as the image is much better for me - great contrast, blacks are actually blacks. QLED panels can output higher brightness, which is needed for some HDR certifications/content. But the cheap QLED panels do not have great local dimming capabilities (not many backlight dimming zones), so you will lose on the image quality a bit there.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

7 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Well, what content are you looking at enjoying on it? is it's HDR streaming, or watching high quality HDR blu-rays etc, then I'd say OLED... this is also why I got my OLED and am very pleased.

If however you're consuming low quality rips or that ilk, then I don't think it's worth the spending for OLED personally, as you cannot improve the quality of the original, and with lower quality rips etc are more likely to have compression artefacts IMO.

[edit] I will say though that I don't notice the compression artefacts as much on my OLED though... but the TV that I DID notice on was not HDR capable for reference.

I mostly watch downloaded movies that vary in quality from 1080p to 2160p, also some netflix and HBO. I notice now that when using the projector i can't see what happens i dark scenes.. it just becomes a dark blurr..

Watches and computers                    

9 minutes ago, TheBeitemBeast said:

I recently bought the lg oled55c9pla and couldn't be happier about it. Absolutly perfect image, especialy Netflix and Dolby vision content. 

They both have there pros and cons.

What is the budget you are willing to spend? What size are you looking at? 

Is it a very bright room where the TV will be?

around 2000$ 65", its not very bright. i have blinds that i can roll down. But it's not pitch black 

Watches and computers                    

2 minutes ago, smiles rising said:

I mostly watch downloaded movies that vary in quality from 1080p to 2160p, also some netflix and HBO. I notice now that when using the projector i can't see what happens i dark scenes.. it just becomes a dark blurr..

Well, like I said, if it's low quality you might not see any better on an OLED panel even as the "blur" that you're seeing might be compression artefacts. Have you tried viewing the content on another TV or monitor even? if so, and it doesn't look like crap, then you might get a better viewing experience with an OLED.

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

1 minute ago, paddy-stone said:

Well, like I said, if it's low quality you might not see any better on an OLED panel even as the "blur" that you're seeing might be compression artefacts. Have you tried viewing the content on another TV or monitor even? if so, and it doesn't look like crap, then you might get a better viewing experience with an OLED.

Yeah it's not the content that sucks.. the projector is around 15 years old with a resolution of 800x600 with a contrast ratio of 500:1. so its not very good

Watches and computers                    

11 minutes ago, smiles rising said:

around 2000$ 65", its not very bright. i have blinds that i can roll down. But it's not pitch black 

Maybe the lg oled65c9pla would be the best TV for you? I don't know the prices of these tv in your region.

If you want to upgrade your total viewing experience, the addition off a soundbar also makes a huge difference. Not in viewing quality but in the immersion in the content. 

1 minute ago, TheBeitemBeast said:

Maybe the lg oled65c9pla would be the best TV for you? I don't know the prices of these tv in your region.

If you want to upgrade your total viewing experience, the addition off a soundbar also makes a huge difference. Not in viewing quality but in the immersion in the content. 

Yeah that's the one im looking at, it goes for around 2100$ here, it looks really nice. Are burn ins still an issue? 

Watches and computers                    

Just now, smiles rising said:

Yeah that's the one im looking at, it goes for around 2100$ here, it looks really nice. Are burn ins still an issue? 

It is a possibility with OLED indeed. Here is an extreme test case: https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

If you are not watching multiple hours a day the same content with static bars/logo's there shoudn't be a problem. 

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/oled-screen-burn-in-what-you-need-to-know-now/

11 minutes ago, TheBeitemBeast said:

It is a possibility with OLED indeed. Here is an extreme test case: https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

If you are not watching multiple hours a day the same content with static bars/logo's there shoudn't be a problem. 

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/oled-screen-burn-in-what-you-need-to-know-now/

Okay so that won't be an issue then. I pretty much only use it for movies and shows. 

Watches and computers                    

44 minutes ago, smiles rising said:

Yeah it's not the content that sucks.. the projector is around 15 years old with a resolution of 800x600 with a contrast ratio of 500:1. so its not very good

Ahh OK, yeah shouldn't be a problem then. I have started consuming more HDR content since getting an OLED, I got the philips 754 which has the same panel as the LG, only the software and processing are different of course. I am happy with it though, I watched Avengers Endgame on it and the difference between watching it on a regular 4K screen which didn't have HDR, and the OLED Philips was night and day... I felt like a kid again watching a movie in the cinema, you can really see that the pixels are turned off in dark scenes, rather than a "halo" effect or greys that should be black. And I only paid £950 for it, with a 6 year warranty too.

I also got myself a new 5.1 surround system a while back too... again the difference was dramatic coming from a stereo soundbar. I haven't tried the sound on the TV, but to be fair, the TV does have great sound going by reviews I saw... capable of dolby/DTS and others IIRC.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

I have started consuming more HDR content since getting an OLED,

Have you noticed an increase in internet usage? 

Since having the LG oled55c9pla I noticed a high increas of my internet usage. Mostly from around 200gb / month to about 500gb / month. 

I suspect it has to do with lots of HDR 4k content. (and downloading a few games of course :) )

And I only paid £950 for it

I paid € 1.235,00 for my oled back in January. 

I haven't tried the sound on the TV, but to be fair, the TV does have great sound going by reviews I saw

The sound on the LG speakers is actually surpisingly good. Still not close to a decent soundbar or a nice 5.1 home cinema setup though :) 

23 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Ahh OK, yeah shouldn't be a problem then. I have started consuming more HDR content since getting an OLED, I got the philips 754 which has the same panel as the LG, only the software and processing are different of course. I am happy with it though, I watched Avengers Endgame on it and the difference between watching it on a regular 4K screen which didn't have HDR, and the OLED Philips was night and day... I felt like a kid again watching a movie in the cinema, you can really see that the pixels are turned off in dark scenes, rather than a "halo" effect or greys that should be black. And I only paid £950 for it, with a 6 year warranty too.

I also got myself a new 5.1 surround system a while back too... again the difference was dramatic coming from a stereo soundbar. I haven't tried the sound on the TV, but to be fair, the TV does have great sound going by reviews I saw... capable of dolby/DTS and others IIRC.

i can buy the philips for around 1700$ or the lg for 2100$ is the LG worth the extra?

Watches and computers                    

8 minutes ago, smiles rising said:

i can buy the philips for around 1700$ or the lg for 2100$ is the LG worth the extra?

I haven't got first-hand experience of the LG, but from some forums and general reviews the LG software/UI/processor is better according to most people, which can make a user experience much better.

For me, I use an Nvidia Shield TV on mine, and use that 99% of the time... so for me it's just a case of turning the TV on, and switching Shield on. For others they have said that source switching can be a pain, but tried it myself and didn't have any problems.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

2 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

I haven't got first-hand experience of the LG, but from some forums and general reviews the LG software/UI/processor is better according to most people, which can make a user experience much better.

For me, I use an Nvidia Shield TV on mine, and use that 99% of the time... so for me it's just a case of turning the TV on, and switching Shield on. For others they have said that source switching can be a pain, but tried it myself and didn't have any problems.

I'll see if i can find any demo on the tv, might make it easier to decide if oled is necessary 😅

Watches and computers                    

There's no beating an OLED, its just a better technology for image quality.

You can check out reviews on rtings.com if your interested in a comparison.

https://www.rtings.com/

With the new CX series releasing its a good time to buy the previous gen the 9 series, like the C9 for bargain prices.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

2 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

There's no beating an OLED, its just a better technology for image quality.

You can check out reviews on rtings.com if your interested in a comparison.

https://www.rtings.com/

With the new CX series releasing its a good time to buy the previous gen the 9 series, like the C9 for bargain prices.

is 2100$ a bargain price? or should i wait a bit and see if it drops?

Watches and computers                    

30 minutes ago, smiles rising said:

is 2100$ a bargain price? or should i wait a bit and see if it drops?

Dunno about ur local prices but in the UK the 65 inch C9 released at around £3300, u can now get it for £1900.

The new CX 65 costs £2800

The CX 48" costs £1500.

So for a main TV / movie display , you can get a 65" C9 for only a little more than a 48" CX, and you can get the C9 55" for less than that at about £1300.

You can also look at the B9.

The cheapest i've seen a LG OLED go is the 55" size, iirc it went down to about £1000 with the B8 and B9.

The prices will likely drop a little more, and most certainly around Xmas. Its up to you if its worth the wait. I'd be surprised if the 65" C9 went below £1500.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

20 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Dunno about ur local prices but in the UK the 65 inch C9 released at around £3300, u can now get it for £1900.

The new CX 65 costs £2800

The CX 48" costs £1500.

So for a main TV / movie display , you can get a 65" C9 for only a little more than a 48" CX, and you can get the C9 55" for less than that at about £1300.

You can also look at the B9.

The cheapest i've seen a LG OLED go is the 55" size, iirc it went down to about £1000 with the B8 and B9.

The prices will likely drop a little more, and most certainly around Xmas. Its up to you if its worth the wait. I'd be surprised if the 65" C9 went below £1500.

Yeah christmas is not worth waiting for.. i want one pretty soon 😅 i'll see if i can find a deal somewhere otherwise i will just get it for 2100

Watches and computers                    

2 minutes ago, smiles rising said:

Yeah christmas is not worth waiting for.. i want one pretty soon 😅 i'll see if i can find a deal somewhere otherwise i will just get it for 2100

BTW if ur interested in seeing how to CX series stacks up, rtings.com is releasing their written review on Wednesday, baring any delays.

Oled hands down. I have both types of sets and the LG Oled trumps the Sammy Qled In overall picture quality.

But if you want people asking you "why didn't you get a OLED?" get a Qled instead

23 hours ago, smiles rising said:

I'll see if i can find any demo on the tv, might make it easier to decide if oled is necessary 😅

I was undecided too, for about 18 months. Then when I finally got an OLED I felt like I'd been missing out for all that time... I wouldn't go back to non-OLED now. The picture is more defined, colours seem much more accurate and vibrant too.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

In low light and given your viewing material, OLED would be outstanding.

I've had an LG C7 for over two years and still get a kick out of those perfect black levels and the overall vivid output (I actually had to tone down the HDR, it was blindingly bright).  I also prefer LG's webOS interface over Samsung's.

I'm not so rigidly pro-OLED that I wouldn't consider switching to other technology for various reasons (QLED is better in bright rooms, for instance), but for my needs and yours it sounds like a good choice.