Wifi 6 router, NIGHTHAWK® TRI-BAND AX12 12-STREAM WIFI 6 ROUTER - AX11000 (RAX200)

Go to solution Solved by DogKnight,

Had a quick look at the user guide and got this:

To get multi-gig Internet with your router, set up Internet port aggregation by aggregating the Internet port and Ethernet port 1 on the router. To set up Internet port aggregation, you need the following:

• A service provider that offers an Internet speed that's over 1 Gbps.

• A modem that supports an Internet speed that's over 1 Gbps and Internet port aggregation.

So this seems designed for internet connections over 1Gb. And the modem you use needs to support Internet Port Aggregation. So it really depends on how your ISPs modem works as to whether you could use it to combine two different gigabit lines.

Alternatively, it allows you to configure the single 2.5gb port on the router for your WAN connection. This is likely to be the better alternative. 

As for the the desktop computers, it depends on the connection method. If they are being plugged into the router directly, you could connect one to the 2.5gb port. But everything else would be at 1gb speeds. If you connect through a switch, then the switch also has to support 2.5gb. Additionally, if your network cabling is rather old (say original cat5), then you may not be able to get 2.5gb without some new ethernet cabling too. 

The link aggregation can be handy if you want to increase access speeds to the router over wired connections. E.g. your router connects to a switch, but you use two cables instead of one. This can then effectively double the speed between the switch and the router. Allowing a couple of devices to access the router at a full 1gb. Handy if you are using it as a plex server or for other network storage via an attached USB drive. 

I use link aggregation on a NAS to increase the bandwidth it can provide. 

Note that you can't start aggregating multiple ethernet connections off your PC to improve it's speed. If I remember correct this functionality only exists within windows server and not retail windows versions. 

Hopefully this answers some of your questions. If you want to improve network speed overall, you really need to look into most of your network equipment being upgraded to support multi-gig ethernet (2.5gb or 5gb; even 10gb if you want to spend that kind of money). This involves making sure not just the router, but switches, NICs, cables, etc are all up to spec. 

Good day,

I have limited networking knowledge. Mostly know the basics and a few extra tricks. 

I am looking to upgrade my router. 

(back ground story)

Now my ISP said( sounds weird to me), because of the way they have things set up, they charge me for 3 separate gigabit lines, in my package( router and wifi included). The reason I know this, cause when I asked if when both my wife and I use the internet at the same time, we get 500mb each.  They said no, you get the full 1gb each. The reason I asked was because, I recently put in a raspberry pi. And it didn't want to connect to the network( on the RJ45), or it will connect but no internet, I had to request a new line( and pay for it).

( reason I am asking)

I was reading on the netgear page. And I see this:
Five (5) 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit Ethernet ports + one (1) 2.5G/1Gbps multi-Gig port (configurable)

• LAN: 4xGbE (2x port aggregation LAN) + 2.5G/1Gbps multi-Gig port (configurable)
  • WAN: 1 GbE or 2.5G/1Gbps multi-Gig port (configurable)
  • Multi-Gig: Ability to aggregate two Gigabit LAN ports and two Gigabit WAN ports (configurable) concurrently

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/RAX200.aspx

( I am looking upgrade the 2 computer motherboards to the x570 tomahawk which has 2.5gb rj45 port)

So if I understood that correctly if I configure them to use them concurrently I can go from 1gb to 2gb speeds?

Thanks

J

1 hour ago, Stin6667 said:

Now my ISP said( sounds weird to me), because of the way they have things set up, they charge me for 3 separate gigabit lines, in my package

This does sound weird. You pay for a gigabit connection? Is there 1 cable that comes in your house and is connected to your modem?

If you have a gigabit connection then a 2,5gb rj45 port won't give you 2gb speeds. 

If you need more lan ports, you can always add a switch to your setup.

Is there any reason why you want a wifi 6 router? If your pc is connected with a cable it won't make a differance. 
For wifi you will need wifi 6 compatible devices. Have you got any?

8 minutes ago, TreeOfTerror said:

This does sound weird. You pay for a gigabit connection? Is there 1 cable that comes in your house and is connected to your modem?

Yea, but when I tested what the ISP guy said. It seamed to be true. Yes, i think it is some type of fiber.  I made my computer and my wife's computer do a speed test( at the same time). and it seamed to be getting gigabit speeds each.

Had a quick look at the user guide and got this:

To get multi-gig Internet with your router, set up Internet port aggregation by aggregating the Internet port and Ethernet port 1 on the router. To set up Internet port aggregation, you need the following:

• A service provider that offers an Internet speed that's over 1 Gbps.

• A modem that supports an Internet speed that's over 1 Gbps and Internet port aggregation.

So this seems designed for internet connections over 1Gb. And the modem you use needs to support Internet Port Aggregation. So it really depends on how your ISPs modem works as to whether you could use it to combine two different gigabit lines.

Alternatively, it allows you to configure the single 2.5gb port on the router for your WAN connection. This is likely to be the better alternative. 

As for the the desktop computers, it depends on the connection method. If they are being plugged into the router directly, you could connect one to the 2.5gb port. But everything else would be at 1gb speeds. If you connect through a switch, then the switch also has to support 2.5gb. Additionally, if your network cabling is rather old (say original cat5), then you may not be able to get 2.5gb without some new ethernet cabling too. 

The link aggregation can be handy if you want to increase access speeds to the router over wired connections. E.g. your router connects to a switch, but you use two cables instead of one. This can then effectively double the speed between the switch and the router. Allowing a couple of devices to access the router at a full 1gb. Handy if you are using it as a plex server or for other network storage via an attached USB drive. 

I use link aggregation on a NAS to increase the bandwidth it can provide. 

Note that you can't start aggregating multiple ethernet connections off your PC to improve it's speed. If I remember correct this functionality only exists within windows server and not retail windows versions. 

Hopefully this answers some of your questions. If you want to improve network speed overall, you really need to look into most of your network equipment being upgraded to support multi-gig ethernet (2.5gb or 5gb; even 10gb if you want to spend that kind of money). This involves making sure not just the router, but switches, NICs, cables, etc are all up to spec. 

10 minutes ago, TreeOfTerror said:

Is there any reason why you want a wifi 6 router? If your pc is connected with a cable it won't make a differance. 
For wifi you will need wifi 6 compatible devices. Have you got any?

I want to upgrade the networking. And I am planing to get some in the near future( phone etc)

2 minutes ago, DogKnight said:

Well, the fiber cable they used seams to do 2.5gb (not to sure of the connection point on their side). As I wanted to switch from them to a competitor as their competitor has 2.5Gb. But It only ran at 1gb for each computer. with the remainder as a buffer if needed. the reason I didn't continue with them is cause they throttled Netflix ( they have their own service). So I went back to my old isp. I do remember Linus doing a video about bonding his internet. So I thought this router could do the same.   

16 hours ago, DogKnight said:

This is what I really wanted to do. As I want to upgrade now. to set me up for the next couple of years. Do you think that buying my own router( Level 1 YouTube  showed this) would be a better option. And upgrade my internet down the line? 
Thanks for all the advice!

@Stin6667

Some parts of what your ISP claims could make sense, but when you said they charged you for another line just to get an RPi online, they seemed to have played you very well. Who is this ISP and where are they located?

Now, every person has the right to spend their money how the like. But if I may ask, how do you plan to make use of +2Gbps worth of internet speed? If you’re trying to ensure that each client can attain gigabit speed simultaneously, I guess that’s cool.