How to charge a PS4 controller without using the micro usb port?

Ok... this is bit convoluted now that I repeat it in my head, but hear me out...

I borrowed a friend's ps4 controller that we know won't charge or anything related to plugging into the micro usb connector. I opened it out and the charge board and adjacent ribbon cable is corroded to all hell; the ribbon cable especially as the one of the contacts has lost continuity. I am going to order the replacement chip and cable but due to the pandemic situation shipping will take two weeks. The controller, before charging function cease, seemed to be fully working as my friend recalled, so I'm a bit confident that only the charging board is broken... 

I see that the battery uses a standard connector and somewhat standard charging voltages (3.65v, 1A), barring finding a bench power supply then jerryrigging the connectors - have any ideas how to charge the battery without using the charging board while waiting for its replacement?

Desperate times call for desperate measures, I say....

Depending on what you have at hand, you could build your own charger, you only have to make sure the input voltage matches with the battery. A phone charger could be used as a power source. 

EDIT: I am pretty sure it's a normal phone battery that will charge at 5 volts and just used that 2 pin connector. So any usb charger or port should work. Just splice up a cable and make yourself a charger. 

Just now, Applefreak said:

Depending on what you have at hand, you could build your own charger, you only have to make sure the input voltage matches with the battery. A phone charger could be used as a power source. 

most phone chargers I can have on me are 5v 1a, while the battery is rated at 3.65v 1a is that safe enough margin to be operational? I'll keep trying to look for closer ones

I have a Galaxy Note 2 battery in front of me that reads 3.8V (model number: EB595675LU if you are interested). 

I haven't tried charging the battery directly though. You probably could adapt an old phone as a charging unit if you can connect the right pins. Being Sony, probably the same battery that is in many of their xperia phones.

Just found a video of someone modding a smartphone battery for the controller: LINK

25 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

I haven't tried charging the battery directly though. You probably could adapt an old phone as a charging unit if you can connect the right pins. Being Sony, probably the same battery that is in many of their xperia phones.

Just found a video of someone modding a smartphone battery for the controller: LINK

Lol this might just be a more convoluted solution to my convoluted problem. I am so doing this.