My desktop is losing all the icons and I cannot click anything

korewahimitsu

Right so basically, my PC runs fine normally but sometimes when I turn it on and try to load up a program it does this thing where I the desktop wallpaper shows but there are no icons and my mouse is loading, I cannot click the taskbar so I usually just reset my PC again until it doesn't happen. It usually takes about 5 minutes longer to connect to the internet after I reset the PC too (I have a USB wifi thing).

35 minutes ago, korewahimitsu said:

Right so basically, my PC runs fine normally but sometimes when I turn it on and try to load up a program it does this thing where I the desktop wallpaper shows but there are no icons and my mouse is loading, I cannot click the taskbar so I usually just reset my PC again until it doesn't happen. It usually takes about 5 minutes longer to connect to the internet after I reset the PC too (I have a USB wifi thing).

Spec list? 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

4 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Spec list? 

520w seasonic psu

Ryzen3 3200 G 

No GPU 

8gb 3200mhz ram

That's all that matters ig

2 minutes ago, korewahimitsu said:

520w seasonic psu

Ryzen3 3200 G 

No GPU 

8gb 3200mhz ram

That's all that matters ig

What about your storage? HDD or SSD? 

You been doing anything shady on the internet like torrenting etc?

Just now, Lord Vile said:

What about your storage? HDD or SSD? 

Oh yeah, I forgot about that

I have 1tb Toshiba Hdd

I should probably also mention I only use the stock cooler and 1 extra small fan that came with my case

3 minutes ago, korewahimitsu said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that

I have 1tb Toshiba Hdd

I should probably also mention I only use the stock cooler and 1 extra small fan that came with my case

Could be an issue with the HDD is it very slow in general? I know it’s slow because it’s a HDD but even more so that is normal.

Otherwise it could be windows being windows. I’ve had to do a fresh install more than once because it kept cocking up. 

1 minute ago, Lord Vile said:

Could be an issue with the HDD is it very slow in general? I know it’s slow because it’s a HDD but even more so that is normal.

Otherwise it could be windows being windows. I’ve had to do a fresh install more than once because it kept cocking up. 

Fair enough, It's probably just windows then, the hdd seems to run at a normal.speed majority of the time. Thanks for your help anyway

Could you perhaps do a CrystalDiskMark test (or similar) and try to compare it with similarly specced/aged harddrives?

Actually, I just remembered something else: I have a computer and when I would turn it on, it would often be pretty much unusable: nothing would load, everything was incredibly slow, etc. A simple restart almost always solved the issue. I don't remember if I've ever fixed that issue, but I do know that the harddrive that is in the PC is quite shoddy. (this was, however, on Windows 7)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Well besides the HDD disk this dude has only 8GB RAM in the system. I bet you a dime there is a lot of background programs being load up on the boot and is over whelming his computer. If it was my computer I would look at the task manager and see how much RAM being use. If it over 90% I would be looking to put 32GB DD4 RAM in my computer.

ms-asoa018.png

Michael Summers

CaseObsidian 900D  MOBORampage IV Extreme CPU:  i7-4960X Ivy Bridge-E 3.6GHz  RAM:: Vengeance Pro 32GB  Boot : RAID 0  840 Pro  512GB  Data:  RAID 10 WD Red  2TB PS: Corsair : AX1200 GPU:  ASUS  GTX-780 Ti

Birthday Gift from my wife - She made me order it and built it :-)

2 minutes ago, Gofer01 said:

Well besides the HDD disk this dude has only 8GB RAM in the system. I bet you a dime there is a lot of background programs being load up on the boot and is over whelming his computer. If it was my computer I would look at the task manager and see how much RAM being use. If it over 90% I would be looking to put 32GB DD4 RAM in my computer.

ms-asoa018.png

Who needs 64GB?? I do perfectly fine with my 56 ;)

Good for you keep your odd number 56 RAM memory and go play your games. I need all the RAM I can get plus a AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16-core processor, RAID 0 m.2 2TB boot drive plus RAID 10 12TB data drive to render videos.

Michael Summers

CaseObsidian 900D  MOBORampage IV Extreme CPU:  i7-4960X Ivy Bridge-E 3.6GHz  RAM:: Vengeance Pro 32GB  Boot : RAID 0  840 Pro  512GB  Data:  RAID 10 WD Red  2TB PS: Corsair : AX1200 GPU:  ASUS  GTX-780 Ti

Birthday Gift from my wife - She made me order it and built it :-)

18 hours ago, Gofer01 said:

Good for you keep your odd number 56 RAM memory and go play your games. I need all the RAM I can get plus a AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16-core processor, RAID 0 m.2 2TB boot drive plus RAID 10 12TB data drive to render videos.

It's called triple channel, what an absolutely bizarre response

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious