Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Upgrade to Ultrawide (maybe)

Venkx

Hi guys, hope all of you are doing well!

Let me just first explain the problem as to why I have to upgrade my current monitor setup. 

Currently I run 2 Benq XL2411Z at 144hz on a GTX980. I don't play with both monitors, mostly I have the second one for youtube, twitch etc., but it annoyed the crap out of me, when the 2nd monitor was not at 144hz or just had some different colors as my main one, so I need to upgrade 2 monitors at once, or get an ultrawide. The monitors itself aren't even the problem, I would really like to uprade to 1440p, but I don't really have to. The real problem is the input, for this monitor to work at 144hz it needs to be connected via DVI. I was thinking about upgrading when the RTX series launched, but as far as I looked, they don't have even 1 DVI output, for my 980 back then I had to get a special gigabyte version that had 2 of them. That's why I'm pretty sure the 3000 series won't have DVI either 😅 and I think I will get one of those, if I can wait that long.

But to be able to just buy a new gpu when I want to, I need to upgrade my monitors first. I've seen some adapters for DP tp DVI that should work for me, but they started at 50€ (Germany) and I would need 2 of them, so I guess investing this in a new monitor instead is just the better choice.

Right now I'm thinking of getting a Samsung C49RG94SSU: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07PQ4MPT6/?coliid=I38KZWUW9F1MYJ&colid=2G25C440DAQLU&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

For about 1000€ it looks like a good deal, but I have some questions about the usage, maybe some of you have some experience with ultrawides.

I don't think that I would play with the full width that much, as I really like having some stuff on my 2nd monitor to check while playing and quickly tabbing out quite often, but because of the curve I think it might be annoying to just play on the left half of the screen? Never had a curved display anywhere, so I really can't imagine how this would feel. Right now I don't sit between my monitors, but instead more in front of the left one, as this is the "main" one I use for almost anything interactive, while the right one has some twitch stream running.

Now, with this being said, do you think it would be worth it for me to get this one? Or would I be better off just sticking to 2 monitors, and just get 2 1440p monitors, which even might be cheaper and better than the one ultrawide?

As someone who ran a 1440p monitor on a gtx 1070, you're gonna run into a hard time running just one. Knowing that ultrawide is 1 and 1/3 monitor space, I'd recommend just getting one 16:9 1440p monitor, the extra pixel density will take you a long way, and you can grab a second when you inevitably upgrade your gpu.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: EVGA 02G-P4 GeForce GT 1030 RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

Yeah I know my 980 won't be happy with the upgrade 😅 

That's why I don't know if I can wait for the 3000 series or if I have to upgrade sooner, just to have a better experience. But I don't play that many demanding games, the game I played the most over the last 10 years would be WoW, with the occasional PUBG here and there. I don't want to make the choice based on my current gpu, even if it's bad at the start, I know it will get better, as long as the monitor or monitors I get in the end will be the better choice in the long run. 

As far as I know I can't even use freesync right now, and I would really love to use freesync or g-sync like yesterday 😆

But thanks for the reply, I will keep it in mind if I decide not to get an ultrawide, but I'd like to hear from someone who is using one about my concerns first