Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

did i order the wrong ram/motherbord combo?

So I am building a photshop/lightroom/light gaming computer.

So far i have ordered a g.skill 32gb ram kit (f4-3600c16d-32gvkc) and an msi performance gaming x470 gaming plus max motherboard.(coolermaster mb511, corsair rm750 psu, gtx1660 6gb also on order[all of this will be with a 3600x)

Looking through the motherboard manual, it says it's supported memory is up to 3466mhz. The ram I have is 3600mhz. Did i botch this up? Or will it run at 3466mhz?

The native speed of the memory controller is 3200 MHz, everything above that depends on the motherboard. If the memory you have selected is listed on MSI's website as compatible, it should run at it's rated speed or the one of the motherboard, depending on the memory profile in bios. If not, you should still be able to achieve the memory controller's speed. There is no real benefit in going with faster memory than that, unless you need to achieve higher benchmarking scores.

9 hours ago, Applefreak said:

The native speed of the memory controller is 3200 MHz, everything above that depends on the motherboard. If the memory you have selected is listed on MSI's website as compatible, it should run at it's rated speed or the one of the motherboard, depending on the memory profile in bios. If not, you should still be able to achieve the memory controller's speed. There is no real benefit in going with faster memory than that, unless you need to achieve higher benchmarking scores.

Thanks! I finally found the compatibility list on msis website, it lists a 16gig pair with a similar part number so hopefully im gtg

You should be fine. I’ve built 5 different ryzen 3000 pcs and haven’t had a ram issue yet. 3 of them used ram that wasn’t on the QVL and they all worked at the rated speed. 

From my experience it’s not as picky as they make it look

CPU:  Intel i9 10850k @5ghz 

Mobo: Msi Z490 Unify

Cooler: Corsair h115i capellix 280mm

Fans:  5 Corsair ML140 RGB Pro

GPU:  Evga Rtx 3070 XC3 Ultra 

Ram: Corsair RGB Pro 32gb 3600mhz 

Case: Be quiet 500DX

PSU: Corsair rmx750

Storage: 1tb WD Blue NVME, 500gb WD Blue Nvme,, 1tb WD Blue HDD

Display: Msi Mag301RF, 29.5 ips, 200hz, 2560x1080 ultrawide. Dell S2716dg 

Mouse: Glorious model D glossy 

Keyboard: Glorious Gmmk compact, Silver speed switches and Glorious aura keycaps