Fan speed makes next to no difference?

powerplayer75

It seems that having my CPU fan speed at 100% makes at most a 3C-5C difference than having it at 35%. Is this normal? I thought I should expect at least a 10C difference for the CPU fan speed being near off and at max

I'm running on following:

i5 3570k @ 4.3 GHz on 1.35V (I know this is insanely high for this processor but it occasionally crashes without this much)

Hyper 212 Evo with 1 push fan

2 negative airflow fans

2 positive airflow fans

On Prime95 on Small FFTs I get in the high 80s and low 90s (yeah this is awful but I never actually see these temps in anything I do)

On idle it hovers in the 40s

What are temps at 35% and 100%? The cpu could be throttling due to high temps. 

Are case fans speeds also being raised?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

What are temps at 35% and 100%? The cpu could be throttling due to high temps. 

Are case fans speeds also being raised?

so i just re-tested it, and I got exclusively mid-high 90s for 35 but on 100 I got fluctuations between high 80s and mid-high 90s.

19 hours ago, powerplayer75 said:

so i just re-tested it, and I got exclusively mid-high 90s for 35 but on 100 I got fluctuations between high 80s and mid-high 90s.

Being so close to 100c, it's probably throttling to keep temps in check. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.