Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PC fans ignore fan curve and spin way faster than they should

Cjalmighty

Hey friends, my first post here. Firstly, my specs. ASRock z720 Killer SLI/AC, i7 7700k (stock) 16GB 2666MHZ RAM (XMP'd to 2666) , MSI GTX 1080 Duke (stock), Enermax Liqmax II 240 AIO and a 80+ Gold 650 watt EVGA PSU, all in the NZXT S340 case. My motherboard only has 3 fan headers, and I have 4 fans, so the front 2 fans in front of my radiator are attached to CHA_FAN3/W_PUMP via a Y splitter. 2 fans into a splitter that goes into one header. I set a custom fan curve in BIOS and it seems to almost completely ignore it. When it's working fine, it's obeying the fan curve, but for the past 3 days it has revved up waaaaaay faster than it should, and it does it randomly. I could be doing something small like moving files between folders and it will rev up. It does it when nothing is getting hot or being utilized much. It did it every now and then before the last couple days and all I did to fix it was unplug the fans from their headers and switch them, but that hasn't worked the past few days. I've had this system for 2 years and the only thing I've changed about it were the exhaust fans. It has done this for maybe the last year on and off but not very often, and how I fixed it was just unplugging the fans and switching headers, but that hasn't worked this time. https://imgur.com/VImCmbS the two front fans are plugged into Number 12, CHA_FAN3/W_PUMP via Y splitter, and my top exhaust fan is right next to it in CHA_FAN1, but the exhaust fans aren't acting up. https://imgur.com/a1mVw0b my back exhaust fan is in CHA_FAN2 and my pump for my AIO is in CPU_FAN1. Here are the curves I set for the front 2 intakes. https://imgur.com/GoUNroq it seems that only one of the front intakes really speeds up, and it's the bottom one. Maybe the motherboard is confused because there are 2 fans hooked into one header, but I have no other headers. I've had this system for over 2 years now and it has only done it on and off but has kept doing it continuously over the past few days and with the state of things right now I can't afford to replace anything.

try to use paragraph next time, this wall of text gave me a headache. sorry for not reading your post

fan curve usualy only works with supplied software comes from your motherboard manufacturer. go to the website and find the download. and notice not necessary all fan sockets can be controlled.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!