MOBO not detecting M.2

znyR

Hello everyone.

I did a lot of research about it but I couldn't find anything that wold solve my problem, my m.2 seem not to be recognized neither in windows or bios.

Mobo : Gigabyte B450 Gaming X

Drive : M.2 2280 Kingston A400 240GB TLC

Thanks in advance :)

11 minutes ago, znyR said:

did a lot of research about it but I couldn't find anything that wold solve my problem, my m.2 seem not to be recognized neither in windows or bios.

Mobo : Gigabyte B450 Gaming X

Drive : M.2 2280 Kingston A400 240GB TLC

The motherboard does not support the SSD.

The motherboard only support M.2 SSD's for the PCIE variety, while the Kingston is an M.2 of the SATA variety.

You need to get a different SSD (like the Kingston in a 2.5" variety, or some M.2 PCIE/NVME SSD) or need to get a different board that does support it.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

You can buy adapters which convert your m.2 sata SSD to a SATA SSD

Here's a couple examples :

B+M key M.2 NGFF SSD to M.2 SATA 3 Raiser M.2 to SATA Adapter Expansion C QW | eBay

Ngff ( M2 ) Ssd To 2.5 inch Sata Adapter M.2 Ngff Ssd To Sata3 Convert Car JO | eBay

The above adapters are super simple, they just take 5v from the sata power connector and create 3.3v using those chips on the side, which is needed by the M.2 SSDs to work. Other than that, the data wires are connected directly to the SATA data connector.

There's a slightly more expensive option, which is designed to be plugged into a pci-e slot, and allows you to connect 2 m.2 devices to the adapter : M.2 NGFF to Desktop PCI-E x4/x8/x16 NVME SATA Dual SSD Express Adapter Card New | eBay

The bottom M.2 connector can be used only with nvme SSDs , and basically connects the ssd to the pci-e slot with up to 4 pci-e lanes, so you get up to around 3.8 GB/s speed.

The top M.2 connector is SATA only, which means the adapter just converts the M.2 connector to the SATA connector on the adapter, so it's enough to just connect a SATA data cable between the adapter and any SATA port on your motherboard. The M.2 SSD will be powered from the pci-e slot in which you plug the adapter.

s-l1600.jpg