Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Packet Loss, uncertain what to do now.

I'm coming here today since I'm looking for an answer on what actions to possibly to or take. I'm extremely frustrated since I haven't been able to properly do a single online video game without experiencing extreme issues for well over a year. I don't mind people knowing but I'm in Irvine California and I'm honestly surprised to have this issue at a house in this area.

So right now my ISP, Cox communications, is saying this is completely a COVID related issue and because of COVID they can't fix what is happening to my house that it'll take time. I have over an entire year of paper trail on my account with my ISP, with over 40+ techs coming out to my house trying to resolve the issue with more than half of them giving me a absurd reason to my packet loss issue or just wanting to leave as soon as possible. An example of the most absurd reason from a tech was, "Since my surge protector is more than 5 years old, it degrades in performance which is making it so it can't supply enough electricity to my modem/router." However, they supposedly have figured out what is wrong with my internet, back in January. Absolutely no follow ups on what is going on and every time I've called in to get in contact with the original local supervisor who was helping me they refuse to call back. Since COVID, they've said the issue is that my node is overloaded so they're going to split the node since it's at a constant 90% usage and at night being completely overloaded.

Other than that, I have swapped out my Modem, Router, Ethernet cable, tried on WiFi and wired devices. They've come out and replaced the tap, they have replaced pretty much all the wiring into my house including some of the coax cable splitters, wires etc. The supervisor who I was initially talking to tried to constantly blame my equipment, after months of testing from June -> December of '19 it finally turned out that my equipment was not at fault.

I'm uncertain on where to go from here, what I can possibly do to attempt to escalate the situation further. I feel like they know they are the only providers in my area so they don't want to do jack squat and fix the issue. Best part about all this is, my mother lives streets away and she has no issues because she has fiber.

TLDR; I have bad packet loss, this has been going on for 1+ years, ISP wont fix, supervisors fail to call back or just disappear. I can't switch since they are the only ISP in my area and not sure what to do.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

pkls1.png

pkls2.png

pkls4.png

pkls3.png

You could have a look at satellite . Could be expensive , but may be worth it. 

Do no more complaining until covid restrictions are over. I know it sucks.  Most isp's have current restrictions in place now to limit their employee's going into houses.  I can't speak for cox but the isp i work for is not writing trouble tickets for intermittent issues.  They only roll trucks on outages.  My advice is to document everything down the best you can.  If you are savvy enough you can check to make sure all the coax connections are modern compression style and were properly installed with a compression tool.  There is a 1000001 things that can cause packet loss but the #1 thing i usually come across is improper fittings.

Also make sure the fittings are snug. Tighten them down as much as you can with your hands then put a wrench on and go just a hair more.  Over tightening can cause issues as well.

16 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

How much more does a fiber upgrade cost?

Fiber is something that is not currently in place for my exact house. Pricing would be the exact same. They said a fix could be to upgrade to business, however from what I have been informed by other people is that it's the exact same lines they just have quicker SLAs and no data caps.

15 minutes ago, Beowulff83 said:

Do no more complaining until covid restrictions are over. I know it sucks.  Most isp's have current restrictions in place now to limit their employee's going into houses.  I can't speak for cox but the isp i work for is not writing trouble tickets for intermittent issues.  They only roll trucks on outages.  My advice is to document everything down the best you can.  If you are savvy enough you can check to make sure all the coax connections are modern compression style and were properly installed with a compression tool.  There is a 1000001 things that can cause packet loss but the #1 thing i usually come across is improper fittings.

Also make sure the fittings are snug. Tighten them down as much as you can with your hands then put a wrench on and go just a hair more.  Over tightening can cause issues as well.

They were installed with a compression tool, the last tech that came out crimped everything again and laid out an entirely new RG-11 cable to see if that would fix it. Nothing changed. 

I'm certain it's not the fittings, especially due to how long it has gone on. The set time frames it happens makes it too apparent this issue has been on cox, however I physically cannot do anything from home. I had issues loading this page to view comments. 

21 minutes ago, Zmax said:

You could have a look at satellite . Could be expensive , but may be worth it. 

From what I am finding, it won't improve my current situation at all.