What portion of the budget should be built on different components?

Budget (including currency): ~$2000 (AUD) Can go a few hundred above

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Minecraft, Fortnite, Other AAA Games

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):

Just the computer build,

I'm not looking for an actual build, just how much of my budget should be spent on the parts, e.g. the motherboard, gpu, cpu, storage..

Thanks!

Ryzen 5 3600

MSI B550 Tomahawk

16GB 3600mHz Trident Z RGB

1650 Super

Fractal Design Meshify C

Samsung 970 Evo 1TB

Gaming machines are usually machines built around the graphics card. You pick the graphics card and monitor you want based on what your requirements are then assemble a machine within budget that can run it.  I’d say quite often half to two thirds of the budget on a games computer are spent on just the GPU.  It varies though.  different components have different cost variances. As examples CPUs go generally form $60–750.  Cases from $40-$200

You don’t need to spend more than about aus$700 to get a very close to top of the line everything but a graphics card, and for some apps that are heavily gpu focused, there’s no point in even doing that.  If you’ve got a less than top line graphics card you need less cpu as well.

To add another wrinkle GPU prices fluctuate a lot.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Gaming machines are usually machines built around the graphics card. You pick the graphics card and monitor you want based on what your requirements are then assemble a machine within budget that can run it.  I’d say quite often half to two thirds of the budget on a games computer are spent on just the GPU.  It varies though.  different components have different cost variances. As examples CPUs go generally form $60–750.  Cases from $40-$200

You don’t need to spend more than about aus$700 to get a very close to top of the line everything but a graphics card, and for some apps that are heavily gpu focused, there’s no point in even doing that.  If you’ve got a less than top line graphics card you need less cpu as well.

To add another wrinkle GPU prices fluctuate a lot.

how much should I spend on a motherboard??

Ryzen 5 3600

MSI B550 Tomahawk

16GB 3600mHz Trident Z RGB

1650 Super

Fractal Design Meshify C

Samsung 970 Evo 1TB

Doesn’t work like that.  Would be a lot simpler if it did though.  Some features are critical some features are merely handy.  Enough VRM to handle whatever chip you want to put on it would be critical.  More VRM than that is merely nice.   Things lower in critical importance from there.  Most features are designed to alleviate headaches for a particular problem. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.