Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 Adapter

pstarlord

Got a question about going from a device that outputs TB2 into a TB3 port on a PC.  I know Apple makes their adapter, but I'm always so paranoid buying an Apple product to use with my PC for some reason, like Apple has some sort of magic that makes it not work properly.  

Anyway, my questions are.

1-Does the Apple adapter work on PC?

2-Is that the only option?  All the other adapters I've found say Mini Displayport to TB3.  I know it's the same size port, but is it the same protocol.  Like USB C looks like TB3, but they are different protocols and aren't necessarily interchangeable. The non Apple versions are like $15 or $20.  

I wish Apple didn't always over charge for stuff, it really gets into my head and makes me doubt over products even though I know Apple just over charges. haha.

• 2 weeks later...

1. It works on some windows devices while on others it doesn't work, seemingly for no reason. Works on my Dell XPS 15 7590 and on my PC (Skylake based) with a PCIe Card. It doesn't work on another PC that has a thunderbolt 3 built on to the motherboard and it funnily doesn't work on a Mac mini that I have. TL;DR the compatibility is not documented and it is very random

2. No, but it is actally cheaper than the competition, but the two other options that are availiable in North America are compatible with windows for sure, where as the Apple may not, so yeah, but the other options cost 52.19 - 80 Freedom dollars, so they are actually pretty expensive. Also no the adapters that adapt displayport (mini) to usb c (thunderbolt 3) will not work as they are not capable of sendind the thunderbolt (PCIe lanes) data, only are a video to thunderbolt converter. The reason that the converters/adapters that actually convert true TB3 to TB2 are so expensive are that TB2 and TB3 are not compatible on a pin/cable level, and use different protocols and are completely different so there is some pretty complicated active processing going on to convert between the two.

IMO they aren't overcharging too bad in this case but they ususally have issues doing that so I don't blame you for thinking that was the case here.

Here are some for sure PC compatible options: 

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Thunderbolt-Adapter-DisplayPort-TBT3TBTADAP/dp/B019FPJDQ2/ref=sr_1_7?crid=QIURN8KZVUHC&dchild=1&keywords=thunderbolt+3+to+thunderbolt+2+adapter&qid=1590373978&sprefix=thunderbolt+3+to%2Caps%2C181&sr=8-7

https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Cable-Matters-Unidirectional-Thunderbolt/dp/B01D0D7QU0/ref=sr_1_6?crid=QIURN8KZVUHC&dchild=1&keywords=thunderbolt+3+to+thunderbolt+2+adapter&qid=1590373978&sprefix=thunderbolt+3+to%2Caps%2C181&sr=8-6

On 5/24/2020 at 7:40 PM, Taylor Dettling said:

1. It works on some windows devices while on others it doesn't work, seemingly for no reason. Works on my Dell XPS 15 7590 and on my PC (Skylake based) with a PCIe Card. It doesn't work on another PC that has a thunderbolt 3 built on to the motherboard and it funnily doesn't work on a Mac mini that I have. TL;DR the compatibility is not documented and it is very random

2. No, but it is actally cheaper than the competition, but the two other options that are availiable in North America are compatible with windows for sure, where as the Apple may not, so yeah, but the other options cost 52.19 - 80 Freedom dollars, so they are actually pretty expensive. Also no the adapters that adapt displayport (mini) to usb c (thunderbolt 3) will not work as they are not capable of sendind the thunderbolt (PCIe lanes) data, only are a video to thunderbolt converter. The reason that the converters/adapters that actually convert true TB3 to TB2 are so expensive are that TB2 and TB3 are not compatible on a pin/cable level, and use different protocols and are completely different so there is some pretty complicated active processing going on to convert between the two.

IMO they aren't overcharging too bad in this case but they ususally have issues doing that so I don't blame you for thinking that was the case here.

Here are some for sure PC compatible options: 

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Thunderbolt-Adapter-DisplayPort-TBT3TBTADAP/dp/B019FPJDQ2/ref=sr_1_7?crid=QIURN8KZVUHC&dchild=1&keywords=thunderbolt+3+to+thunderbolt+2+adapter&qid=1590373978&sprefix=thunderbolt+3+to%2Caps%2C181&sr=8-7

https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Cable-Matters-Unidirectional-Thunderbolt/dp/B01D0D7QU0/ref=sr_1_6?crid=QIURN8KZVUHC&dchild=1&keywords=thunderbolt+3+to+thunderbolt+2+adapter&qid=1590373978&sprefix=thunderbolt+3+to%2Caps%2C181&sr=8-6

Hey, thanks for the info.  I got so distracted I completely forgot to even come back and check the forum last week.  haha.  Anyway, I'll check out those connectors you suggested!