Looking for a cheap $15-$20 hdmi 1080p card

ShadowTech01

I'm looking for a low profile graphics card to put into a HP Compaq 6200 that can output 720p or 1080p video for movies and general use. The integrated graphics in the machine can't do that so I'm looking for a cheap solution. This pc will never run games and it'll only be for playing dvds and movies from the hard drive as well as some file management. The card needs HDMI and it has to be a low profile card. My budget is $15-$20. What should I be looking for? Ebay is my go-to.

5 minutes ago, ShadowTech01 said:

I'm looking for a low profile graphics card to put into a HP Compaq 6200 that can output 720p or 1080p video for movies and general use. The integrated graphics in the machine can't do that so I'm looking for a cheap solution. This pc will never run games and it'll only be for playing dvds and movies from the hard drive as well as some file management. The card needs HDMI and it has to be a low profile card. My budget is $15-$20. What should I be looking for? Ebay is my go-to.

There are plenty of cards that should be able to run it, maybe something like a used gt 710 or A hd 6670, try to stay 1gb or above on vram, windows can get fussy using less, what cpu are you running?

1 minute ago, Stargaze obama said:

There are plenty of cards that should be able to run it, maybe something like a used gt 710 or A hd 6670, try to stay 1gb or above on vram, windows can get fussy using less, what cpu are you running?

The cpu is a i5 2400. Not impressive I know, but it's good enough. And thanks for the tip!

Anything really, maybe a Quadro K600?

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

Oh wait, those only have DP and DVI

A GT 630 then? They're probably easy to get from eBay auctions.

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

11 hours ago, ShadowTech01 said:

The cpu is a i5 2400. Not impressive I know, but it's good enough. And thanks for the tip!

I believe it's running the hd graphics 2000 so should be able to run 1080p video fine? Even 4k playback should be possible, what is preventing you from watching in 1080p? Windows won't allow you to increase resolution above the display your on so if your using a 720p monitor windows will only allow 720p

What are the rest of the specs?

5 hours ago, Stargaze obama said:

I believe it's running the hd graphics 2000 so should be able to run 1080p video fine? Even 4k playback should be possible, what is preventing you from watching in 1080p? Windows won't allow you to increase resolution above the display your on so if your using a 720p monitor windows will only allow 720p

What are the rest of the specs?

My monitor is a 1080p 144Hrz Asus MQsomething-or-other. It's connected by the displayport connection on the motherboard. The computer itself is a HP Compaq 6200, so no usb 3.0 or other modern stuff. Ram is 8gb DDR3, 120g Sandisk SSD(not too worried on the speed with no cache, it's replacing a 2004 laptop, anything is better), and a 500gb storage drive. I'm pretty sure that if the cpu can output 1080p through integrated graphics, then it's the motherboard holding it back. I plugged in a 1050ti through the PCI-e and it worked great there, so I'm looking for a cheap card to use instead.

20 hours ago, ShadowTech01 said:

My monitor is a 1080p 144Hrz Asus MQsomething-or-other. It's connected by the displayport connection on the motherboard. The computer itself is a HP Compaq 6200, so no usb 3.0 or other modern stuff. Ram is 8gb DDR3, 120g Sandisk SSD(not too worried on the speed with no cache, it's replacing a 2004 laptop, anything is better), and a 500gb storage drive. I'm pretty sure that if the cpu can output 1080p through integrated graphics, then it's the motherboard holding it back. I plugged in a 1050ti through the PCI-e and it worked great there, so I'm looking for a cheap card to use instead.

Does seem odd, even the motherboard shouldn't hold it back since 1080p has a been a standard for quite some time now, at least the card is cheap, also would look into getting an i3 instead and sell the i5, make a little money back since and 2nd gen i3 will still be adequate, you could then passively cool the system too if you wanted complete silence, just a suggestion, good look on and cards you find

Nice monitor too