GPU unstable connection, losing my mind for about a month

Trigno

So my Zotac GTX 1080 Ti has become incredibly unreliable after having my PC moved. Majority of the time the PC will not boot properly giving out code b2 on mobo. After trying all software related fixes (clear cmos, update bios, clean reinstall drivers etc.) I suspected that it might a hardware issue. iGPU works flawlessly. I've found that the only time the PC boots normally is if I reinsert or wiggle the GPU in its PCIe slot and pray to find a magic sweet spot. This only works maybe 5% of the time. In fact, I have tried adding support to reduce any GPU sag, and the difference between code b2 and successful post is often the difference between a few sheets of paper's worth of support. When it does post, the system either runs well for hours under load or crashes before or soon after booting up a game (perhaps still due to a spotty connection?).

No obvious burns or anything on the GPU PCIe connection but two of the pins have lost most of their gold and are visibly silverish now. One is on the right most side of the short segment and the second is on the right most side of the long segment. Both are on the underside, so I chalk this up to friction. Could these be the culprits? Does the gold fading even matter? Is there a hack to restore a better connection? Furthermore, I have read that the GPU should still at least be recognized and boot normally if some of the pins on the longer segment are damaged, but I believe the short segment is absolutely critical? So if I can "fix" the first pin that might be enough? Can someone confirm this please or help me hone in on the real issue. 

GPU fans spin every time on boot and seem to be receiving adequate power. PSU could be the issue but like I said, when it works, it works no problem.

Did you remove the GPU while moving the PC?

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

4 minutes ago, Trigno said:

No I did not :(

I guess you damaged the PCIe slot while driving over something. Nothing you can do about but replace the Motherboard. I recommend a board with reinforced PCIe Slot. That helps with sacking too.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Forgot to mention I have tried both slots on the mobo (so including one that was untouched). Same results where it only works spottily at certain angles. So the gpu pins being damaged is more likely?

2 minutes ago, Trigno said:

Forgot to mention I have tried both slots on the mobo (so including one that was untouched). Same results where it only works spottily at certain angles. So the gpu pins being damaged is more likely?

Possible. In which case you have no choice but to replace the GPU. You could try to RMA it. But damaged pins are most likely not covered by any Warranty.