Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Upgrading from my regretful laptop purchase.

Budget (including currency): Flexible up to £1,500. GBP.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Looking to get back into games. From my last desktop, I'm looking for a mid to high end system that'll last me a few years without needing to upgrade and run games at 1440p at playable framerates (100+). As I'll be going into uni for engineering, I would like it to be compitent at some productivity, though I am not sure if it's necessary, I would just like to ensure that I am ready for that possibly being a requirement. As for games, I am going to get back into CS:GO along with playing Halo MCC, CoD MW (2019), and even stream these games. I would also like this to be a small-ish build just to help gain more desk space.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I have a couple parts lists that I can screenshot and post below. I don't require any peripherals as I still own my keyboard and mice from when I had my last desktop.

Please note that these lists include my monitor of choice.

Spoiler

Build 1: image.thumb.png.c603de1c3082b10a75062f820edd5660.png

Build 2: image.thumb.png.d3502f0be5b388c22ba40b00d6309371.png

Build 3: image.thumb.png.4dec6e80a4e990f8c75ca1b6d58460fb.png

I appreciate any improvements/comments you may have!

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

3 minutes ago, SeriouslyMikey said:

Budget (including currency): Flexible up to £1,500. GBP.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Looking to get back into games. From my last desktop, I'm looking for a mid to high end system that'll last me a few years without needing to upgrade and run games at 1440p at playable framerates (100+). As I'll be going into uni for engineering, I would like it to be compitent at some productivity, though I am not sure if it's necessary, I would just like to ensure that I am ready for that possibly being a requirement. As for games, I am going to get back into CS:GO along with playing Halo MCC, CoD MW (2019), and even stream these games. I would also like this to be a small-ish build just to help gain more desk space.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I have a couple parts lists that I can screenshot and post below. I don't require any peripherals as I still own my keyboard and mice from when I had my last desktop.

Please note that these lists include my monitor of choice.

Hide contents

Build 1: image.thumb.png.c603de1c3082b10a75062f820edd5660.png

Build 2: image.thumb.png.d3502f0be5b388c22ba40b00d6309371.png

Build 3: image.thumb.png.4dec6e80a4e990f8c75ca1b6d58460fb.png

I appreciate any improvements/comments you may have!

The 1st one will be better for streaming with its 8 cores and 970 Evo is a great SSD, but you should consider a cheaper m.2 like the crucial p1 and getting more capacity and a large HDD

Laptop: HP Spectre x360 13t, i7 8565u with 16 gigs, 512 gig  nvme ssd, UHD 620 4k

Other laptop: Acer Chromebook cb3 431 with 4 gigs, celeron n3060 with hd 400 and 16 gigs eMMC soon to be a minecraft server?

Remeber to tag people or else they wont see your post.

7 minutes ago, ItzCopiouz said:

The 1st one will be better for streaming with its 8 cores and 970 Evo is a great SSD, but you should consider a cheaper m.2 like the crucial p1 and getting more capacity and a large HDD

Thanks for the response, man. I'll certainly look into the P1. Honestly, I just threw on the first 500GB M.2 that caught my eye.

As for HDD, I should have mentioned that I'd prefer to keep my storage to SSD for now, though that doesn't mean I wont invest in one later down the line.

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Thank you for your input too @boggy77, I'll be sure to look into the other options you've given me.

I've gone back on my decision to build for live streaming too, so I'm not going to get the Ryzen 7 3700X, and instead will get the other AMD/Nvidia build. Plus, helps drop the price down further without losing dramatic performance.